“Cool, but friendly”
Review of Hotel Chez Swann

Hotel Chez Swann
Ranked #59 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I found Chez Swann through hotels.com and was a little worried when I kept reading reviews about how 'chic' it was. In my experience, chic often equals "too cool to enjoy guests." That wasn't the case here. From the moment I walked up to the registration desk, I felt welcome and enjoyed everyone I dealt with at the hotel.

The rooms are stylish, large for an urban hotel, and the little touches are great: dual iPod docks, huge flat screen t.v., and a huge double shower.

The location makes it great for business travelers who are in town for McGill, Concordia, and surrounding businesses. The proximity to shopping and great restaurants makes it great for couples. Not really what I would choose for a family vacation - no pool or real kid amenities.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GWSD
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

We arrived at the hotel and thought we had struck gold. This is a beautiful, chic hotel in a great location. The price was very good and initially exceeded our expectations. The staff were very helpful and provided great restaurant recommendations.

It all went down hill on our second night in the hotel. I woke up with an itchy spot on my arm, but I didn't think anything of it. On the third morning I woke up and saw a brownish/red bug crawling across the white sheet. We caught it in a glass and put it on the table. We called down to the front desk and proceeded to take the bed apart to search for more predators. Fortunately, we didn't see any others, but I found multiple bites on both arms.

The hotel attendant had no clue what to do. He was completely unaware of protocol and didn't provide any guidance or assistance other than to bring us the garbage bags we had requested. While we waited for the manager to start her shift we showered, washed our hair, inspected our clothes for the day and packed all our belongings in garbage bags. When she did eventually come to the room, she didn't inspect it and had the nerve to suggest that we picked it up at a restaurant.....perhaps one of the restaurants they recommended??? How insensitive and ridiculous! No apologies, no assistance, no accountability.

Their biggest worry was cleaning the room in time for the next guests to arrive. I told them they couldn't let anyone in the room until it had been thoroughly inspected and fumigated. Given their initial response, I'd be surprised if they did either of theses things.

To be safe, we left behind our suitcase and computer bag behind. We spent the rest of the day driving back to Toronto and in a laundromat where we washed EVERYTHING in hot water and dried them for 2 hours. Needless to say, we ruined several articles of clothing and form many months we lived with the anxiety of possibly brining bed bugs into our home.

To make matters worse, I had a terrible allergic reaction to the bites and my arm swelled up for two weeks after the initial contact.

We were not expecting to have the room comped or to be reimbursed for the suitcase and clothes, but we were expecting an apology. Not once did they apologize, take accountability, or express sympathy. A truly terrible experience and I don't know if I can bring myself to stay in another hotel. Chez Swan is a very nice hotel, it's clean and well decorated, but you just never know.

The owners of this hotel MUST teach their staff how to deal with bed bugs or the entire place will be infested in no time. What a shame because it really is a nice spot.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank BRauchToronto
Dwayne N, General Manager at Hotel Chez Swann, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

The bed bug problem that you refer to was the only one that we have encountered.
As soon as you called the front desk, we took the good steps indeed by wrapping all the linen, carpet and suitcase in plastic bags and brought them to a specific company who disposed of the bags. The same day we called an exterminator who inspected and fumigated the room. We did not rent the room for weeks after. The exterminator did not find any other bed bugs other than the baby one that you put in a glass of water. We also treated, fumigated and inspected all of the hotel rooms as a preventive measure and did not find anything.
All our housekeepers and front desk staff have the proper training to fight this North America scourge and we verify every room every day.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I was in town for a creative conference and I wanted to stay somewhere within walking distance to the event. I had a great experience at Hotel Chez Swann and found the staff particularly helpful and friendly. The room was nicely designed and very clean, which I loved. I'm a bit of a sunlight hound, so my only wish was having more sunlight in the room (1 window, which was on the smaller side). However, for the price and location, it's a fabulous value. Merci for the nice stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I'm a bit tired of chain hotels, so when there was a trip to Montreal recently, a stay at a unique hotel was in the cards.

Hotel Chez Swann is exactly what it purports to be. A stylish, chic unique hotel experience. The rooms are well appointed, the location is convenient being a block north of St. Catherine just off Rue de la Montagne, and parking is just conveniently off-site.

The decor is tastefully, and cool, with some nice touches. Staff is great -- friendly, unpretentious, a just little bit slow enough to make it not seem like you're checking into a three hundred room property.

The 'peek-a-boo' shower is interesting, but can still afford privacy for the modest with a curtain. The beds comfortable, and the only complaint being the pillows are a bit flat and hard -- a highly personal issue.

For the rate, the location, the experience, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2012

This was a great location with everything you'll need and not too much else. Everything about the Chez Swann was unique. The front entrance was just blue-lit glass doors with stylized address numbers [1444]--I didn't see the name so you'll have to know exactly what you are looking for. Several times during our stay when we were coming or going, people on the street would stop to look and see where we were coming from and say--"I didn't even know that was there." Front desk staff was friendly, helpful, and efficient.
This place is just enough in a lot of ways. There are not a lot of people milling around. The 3rd floor room was very much the same as the pictures. The space was clean. The bed was comfortable. There was just 1 window measuring 3'x4' and a surprising skylight that kept the room extremely bright from sunrise to sunset. The bathroom and shower for 2 was a treat and great to see. Wardrobe was just enough space for the items of 2 people. The only street noise was from emergency vehicles. We are from a large U.S. city so that is par for the course if staying within a city and not in the 'burbs' somewhere away from everything. It was nice that calls could be made to all of Canada and the U.S. for free since the U.S. cell phones would charge so much for international calls. I was thrilled that there was NO carpet!!!!! Nice dark wood floors.
Housekeeping [grade C+]--day 1: short on fresh towels and left a used one hanging on the towel bar [the following days we put it all in a pile as a signal that we wanted fresh towels]; day 3: soaps not replenished, left room with just half a roll of bathroom tissue, noisy clean up of room next door at ~9 am in the morning--dropping the door on the metal door guard piece at least 10 times--loud/rude awakening for us. Each day the floor appeared to be cleaned the glass-top desk was cleaned, the trash was emptied, the bed was made up, replaced wash cloths everyday, & the bathroom was spruced up. Air conditioner with remote was perfect.
There were many restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. It is a long walk to Old Montreal but we took the journey in less than an hour and got to see a lot of sights along the way. Also, McGill University is within easy walking distance-- less 10 minutes. Museums are close by also within walking/biking/taxi distance. Contemporary Art museum seemed to be the furthest away-- ~20 minute walk along St. Catherine.
There is a rental bike depot just across the street from the hotel as well as public transit and taxis all around.
All in all a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Top floor, exterior room.