“4 1/2 stars - Marriott Chateau Champlain”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
North Hampton, New Hampshire
“4 1/2 stars - Marriott Chateau Champlain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

When you walk into the lobby of this commanding building in Montreal you are immediately met with a sense of history. If the walls could talk I am sure that there would be lots of stories of the people and groups that have stayed at the property. The location is very good - a quick walk to the canals with the bike paths that lead you all over this lovely city, a very quick walk to the hustle and bustle of St. Catherine's Street, and a nice stroll to Old Montreal. One discovery during this trip was a very brief elevator ride to 'Underground Montreal' and all of the passageways and walkways to the circuitous shopping and dining venues. There are a number of eating establishments in walking distance above ground as well - not to mention a short block walk to the Bell Center. The people here are great - the breakfast buffet had a decent selection and our room (Room 2911) was as quiet as can be. We will definitely plan to stay at the Chateau Champlain again - and would recommend it to others with enthusiasm!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room in the corner away from the elevators!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed that for the weekend, and was felt very welcomed right away as I arrived midnight Friday. This is not the first time I've stayed in this hotel but it is the first time I provided feedback.

Got a room with a decent view. While I was there over the weekend, the hotel was quiet, and that is a huge plus for me. The executive lounge is also very nice but unfortunately they are not open during the weekends. However, they do compensate for the inconvenience by letting you dine in their restaurant for breakfast, which offers great breakfast selection.

I also felt the hotel staff is friendlier this time around, not sure if they have changed since I stayed there last year, but I hope it wasn't a coincidence. The location is good, close to the train station, close to downtown St. Catherine, but also far enough away from the main crowd to be quiet.

Room Tip: There are two Rueben's restaurant nearby, and if you are a fan of Smoked Meats or Deli style res...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Manager980, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear KingmanP,
Thank you for your praise of the service you received. Your positive comments will be passed along to our team.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Chateau on your next visit to Montreal.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I went here for a conference in Feb 2012. I stayed in a double and the room size is nice. The room was facing the courtyard. The entire hotel is a strange layout. As far as I'm aware there is only two elevators to take you out. By lunch time the was a huge line of people waiting to use it. The service was mediocre. When I checked in the front desk didn't give me clear directions to get to my room and the layout is a little confusing. I also to ask the concierge a question and after waiting for a while the person walked away right when I got to the desk without even mentioning if he was coming back. Otherwise the hotel is very conveniently located. The hotel restaurant food was good with some originality in their menu. I didn't find the place to be extraordinary but average.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kimfamilyof4
Dear kimfamilyof4,
I am sorry to read you felt our 5 elevators were not enough to serve your needs quickly. Please accept our apologies. If we failed to give you clear direction, we assure you it was not intentional. Your positive comments about our restaurant food will be shared with the entire team. Thank you and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

great location but hotel seems dated. I prefer the Hilton, which is next door and has a much better atmosphere. I will continue to stay to collect the points. The bed was comfortable and room was clean. The only complaint I had is that most Marriott's have a large bottle of water on the desk and this was not available in the room. I was on the 27th floor with nice view of downtown. Parking is not as versatile as other downtown hotels.

Room Tip: always get a high floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Bonjour brooklintravel,
We appreciate your comments and are greatful you still consider us when in Montreal. Hopefully our next phase of renovations will improve the overall atmosphere. I am happy to read that you found the location and food to your liking.
I sincerely hope you will continue visiting our hotel on your next visit to Montreal.
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here last weekend and had no complaints. It was a perfect location because we were going to the Bell Centre for a hockey game - just a block away. The room was very clean and spacious, we were on teh 7th floor with a nice view of the city. The subway is also accessible right from the hotel which was great for some of our sight-seeing needs. The staff was very friendly. We did not eat at the hotel, or use room service so I cannot comment on either. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. We were in 720 and looked out over the Bell Centre to the city.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Manager980, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear kkc904,
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Marriott Chateau Champlain.
We hope to see you soon!