“Great service and activities”
Review of HI Montreal Hostel

HI Montreal Hostel
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Our first impressions of this hostel weren't great, but they pulled it out of the bag and we had a great time.

We stayed in a private room with en suite. We were expecting a double but it was two twin beds, the breakfast suggestion was to see what was on the free food shelf and there was no hot water due to a fault they were trying to get fixed (but it was just after New Year and they couldn't get a plumber out). We had heard that the hostel had ice hockey tickets available and enquired about them only to be told the game was the day we were leaving. These were the bad experience...it got so much better!

There was a walking/eating tour around some of the less touristy neighbourhoods with one of the reception staff – it was fantastic and we definitely saw and learned some things we wouldn't have done otherwise. On the tour we mentioned our disappointment about the ice hockey tickets and were told that the game was the day before we were leaving and we should ask again... We rushed back to the hostel and managed to grab the last two tickets, and a deal that gave us 2 breakfasts, a hot dog and a beer each, for only $80 each!

On return we also discovered the hot water was back (so only one night without).

The bar was great, reasonable prices and good food and beer. The breakfast we got with our tickets was tasty but quite expensive for a cold breakfast – though probably worth it if you have everything on the list and save some for your lunch!

Overall we had a great stay at this hostel and would definitely return, the initial problems were all smoothed away by the walking tour, the tickets and the friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KSud
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Bonjour KSud!

Great to ear (read) your opinion about us! I have to admit that the plumbing problem right after new year was quite a headache... Not easy easy finding plumbers at the time of the year! Anyhow, I'm glad your overall stay was enjoyable and that you like the walking tour we offer. (If your back in summer time, make sure to try the bike tours!).

Thx again and hope we'll meet again!
Gabriel

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

I arrived on the 1st of January with two friends and immediately our impressions took a bad turn. No hot water throughout the hostel and the staff didn't know when the problem would be fixed. When we left on the 3rd, the problem was still not fixed. To make matters worse, our dorm room was so tiny that one person would barely have enough room, never mind three. To close the bathroom door, we had to twist ourselves against the shower and the toilet. The sink was in the room because the bathroom was too tiny to accomodate it. Not ideal if you are tring to avoid waking up everyone else. The so called bar crawl was depressingly tame and lacking in atmosphere. One of the bars we were supposed to go to was closed, so in the end we only visited two bars. On a positive note, the hostel was relatively clean and is close enough to Downtown Montreal. It is also not far from the subway line.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Auberge H, Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Bonjour Steven,

You could see that this message is very similar to my answer to the comments left before yours... Both are pretty much pointing at the same issues.. Again, I apologize for all the hassle… The water tank break on January 1st, was surely unexpected and pretty much all the city plumbers seemed to be hiding somewhere far far away... I understand it was not the best situation for the guests despite all what we tried to bypass the problem... Now the good news is that it is all fixed for the next couple of years! Yeah!!

Regarding our rooms, they have all different sizes and if some could be tight for 3 strong males, we should be more vigilant when we assign the beds at check-in… I’ll make sure to pass the message along! As for our free daily activities, I’m sorry some were not up to your expectations. Now, the other good news is that we’ve just promoted one of our senior staff to the programming coordination position… Knowing him, I’m sure that he will help to raise the quality standards of the activities (including the pub crawl) for the benefit of all!

Finally, I would like to thank you for your feedbacks as it is the best way for us to move on with improvements,

Nicolas , Manager HI-Montréal

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Unfortunately my experience at this hostel was less than satisfactory. I was told that this was a very good hostel to stay at and from the moment we checked in we were dissapointed. My friends and I were told that there was no hot water and there was nothing that could be done. Over the next two days that we used the bathroom, we didn't have any hot water and the staff seemed reluctant to update the guests on this situation. In these cases compensation must be delivered to guests of the hostel. How can you not have hot water in Montreal in winter? Unacceptable.

The other gripes we had were with the size of the room and the size of the bathroom. The four bedroom dorm that we were in was barely big enough for the three of us and the bathroom was so small that one barely fit inside. Very uncomfortable!

Also HI-Montreal, learn what a pub crawl is all about! Going to three places for a couple of hours is not a pub crawl! Worst pub crawl ever!

I should end with positives. The hostel is quite clean, no complaints on that front. Also it is in quite a good location so getting around Montreal from the hostel is not problem and they serve reasonably priced food and drink in the downstairs bar/cafeteria.

Overall unfortunately, I would no recommend this hostel for people to stay at based on the experiences of myself and my friends.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Bonjour,

First of all, I apologize for all the hassle… We always try to be ready for all possible situations, but honestly we did not expect a water tank break on January 1st, when all the plumbers in town were on holidays. We managed that issue the best and quickest we could, but I understand it was not the best situation for the guests... Now the good news is that it is all fixed and it should not be a problem for the next couple of years! Yeah!!

Regarding our rooms, they have all different sizes and if some could be tight for 3 tall males, we should be more vigilant when we assign the beds at check-in… I’ll make sure to pass the message along! As for our free daily activities, I’m sorry some were not up to your expectations. Now, the other good news is that we’ve just promoted one of our senior staff to the programming coordination position… Knowing him, I’m sure that he will help to raise the quality standards of the activities (including the pub crawl) for the benefit of all!

Finally, I would like to thank you for your feedbacks as it is the best way for us to move on with improvements. From all the other comments online, we're normally pretty good at meeting everyone's expectations and should you give us a second chance, I remain positiv that we would be up to the challenge,

Bon voyage,

Nicolas Lemaire , Manager HI-Montréal

Reviewed 30 December 2011

I was booked in for five nights in a private room but after I went to my room I returned to reception and cancelled three (due to the cancellation policy). Although my room was clean and quiet the only window faced right into the common area, meaning anyone could see into my room. On top of that the room was freezing cold because of the intense AC. I went up to ask if there was a way I could control it in my room and I was told there were no separate controls and that maybe I should turn the heat on. Nice. So I did, but because the heating vent is under the bed and in the corner - it did nothing.

My room came with a TV but in order to get a remote I had to hand over my driver's license. Why they don't just take $10 and hold it until the remote is returned...I do not understand. People need their ID and running back and forth to the busy reception is a waste of valuable time.

When I went to check out the female staff member was either horribly hungover and just rude by nature.

I lost my sunglasses there and inquired by email if anyone had found them and I received no reply.

This is a hostel...it has good amenities and SOME members of staff are lovely. The location is just fine. But guess what? I went on Hotwire and for $10 more a night I got a room at the Hilton and was treated well and slept in total comfort.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank TravelSkunk
Auberge H, General Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Bonjour,

It's a hostel, indeed! But a good hostel I shall add... Well, normally!...

Reading the last 3 reviews, I must say that I am a little exasperated... We're usually a blast for all travelers visitng us but it seems that around new years we failed for various reasons.. Hot water thank break, an air conditioned working too good... Is that what we call Murphy's law??!

That being said, I would like to highlight that we're a team of young travelers passionate about our work... We'll go through all comments listed in the feedbacks and see how we can improve on them, while pushing on aspects that we're good. I like to think that we are one of the best hostel in town (maybe the world ?:)) and we'll work twice as hard in order to remain so!

Best Regards and Bon Voayage,
Nicolas Lemaire, hostel manager

Reviewed 17 December 2011

This place is exactly like the city outside its doors; fun, friendly, welcoming and eager to help you have a good time. I didn't hang around much at the hostel, but anytime I was here I felt comfortable and had everything I needed from a place to stay.

The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are well set up and clean and the beds are comfy. The location is also great; the Metro and Bell Centre are both just around the corner, Rue Sainte-Catherine is only a short walk away and is packed with shops and cafes. plus the side streets running across it are also full of cool little bars and restaurants. The 747 express to and from the airport is right across the road. I doubt that there is a hostel in a better location anywhere else in the city.

One other reviewer mentioned that they could have gotten a hotel for the same price. I think that any hotel you could stay in for the same price would be in a lot worse condition and wouldn't have the same kind of staff or fun and relaxed vibe that they have here.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo