HI Montreal Hostel
Sofitel
US$ 321
US$ 294
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbed dormfree breakfastmixed roomcommunal areasmetro stationbagelslarge kitchenawesome stayplace to sleepboiled eggsclose to downtownbell centreminute walkenjoyed my stayhockey gamewi ficrescent street
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I was booked in for five nights in a private room but after I went to my room I returned to reception and cancelled three (due to the cancellation policy). Although my room was clean and quiet the only window faced right into the common area, meaning anyone could see into my room. On top of that the room was freezing cold because of the intense AC. I went up to ask if there was a way I could control it in my room and I was told there were no separate controls and that maybe I should turn the heat on. Nice. So I did, but because the heating vent is under the bed and in the corner - it did nothing.

My room came with a TV but in order to get a remote I had to hand over my driver's license. Why they don't just take $10 and hold it until the remote is returned...I do not understand. People need their ID and running back and forth to the busy reception is a waste of valuable time.

When I went to check out the female staff member was either horribly hungover and just rude by nature.

I lost my sunglasses there and inquired by email if anyone had found them and I received no reply.

This is a hostel...it has good amenities and SOME members of staff are lovely. The location is just fine. But guess what? I went on Hotwire and for $10 more a night I got a room at the Hilton and was treated well and slept in total comfort.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank TravelSkunk
Auberge H, General Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Bonjour,

It's a hostel, indeed! But a good hostel I shall add... Well, normally!...

Reading the last 3 reviews, I must say that I am a little exasperated... We're usually a blast for all travelers visitng us but it seems that around new years we failed for various reasons.. Hot water thank break, an air conditioned working too good... Is that what we call Murphy's law??!

That being said, I would like to highlight that we're a team of young travelers passionate about our work... We'll go through all comments listed in the feedbacks and see how we can improve on them, while pushing on aspects that we're good. I like to think that we are one of the best hostel in town (maybe the world ?:)) and we'll work twice as hard in order to remain so!

Best Regards and Bon Voayage,
Nicolas Lemaire, hostel manager

Reviewed 17 December 2011

This place is exactly like the city outside its doors; fun, friendly, welcoming and eager to help you have a good time. I didn't hang around much at the hostel, but anytime I was here I felt comfortable and had everything I needed from a place to stay.

The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are well set up and clean and the beds are comfy. The location is also great; the Metro and Bell Centre are both just around the corner, Rue Sainte-Catherine is only a short walk away and is packed with shops and cafes. plus the side streets running across it are also full of cool little bars and restaurants. The 747 express to and from the airport is right across the road. I doubt that there is a hostel in a better location anywhere else in the city.

One other reviewer mentioned that they could have gotten a hotel for the same price. I think that any hotel you could stay in for the same price would be in a lot worse condition and wouldn't have the same kind of staff or fun and relaxed vibe that they have here.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Craig D
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I loved this place. Great location, excellent kitchen and common areas. It even has a bar downstairs that sells some pretty good meals. The bar however does mean that it's far too noisy to actually watch anything in the "tv room", maybe they could curtain this area off? The daily tours that the hostel runs are great, join in, see the sights with a local and meet some of your awesome fellows travellers. The downside? The website/brochure says free wifi throughout the hostel. You can't get wifi in the rooms so you need to sit in the noisy bar area. Apart from that, a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The hostel is in a great location! It's easy to get to places within the city. It's also very clean. I didn't have any issues with the cleanliness.

However, the prices listed online are for members, and when we arrived we were charged roughly 25 dollars more (for 2 nights) than we anticipated. For the money we spent there we could have gotten a hotel room. It does say that the prices are for members on all websites, but it's not well advertised. We weren't the only ones surprised at check-in. We were at the desk area when three other groups checked in and all were surprised by the price of their rooms.

Also, parking is said to be included with the price of the room. It's clearly advertised on the website, another reason we thought staying at the hostel would be a better price than a hotel. However, there is no parking anywhere near the hostel. They claim that they have never offered parking. We arrived on a Montreal Canadiens hockey game night and parking was very scarce and prices were inflated. We shelled out an additional 29 dollars for parking.

If the hostel would just list the proper prices, and not rely on getting people in the doors with false advertising, it would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank nikki d
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The place was great:
-laundry
-showers with soap dispensers
-lockers in rooms (bring your own)
-daily cleaning service
-daily activities (trips/excursions/pub crawls, etc)
-extra storage
-clean facilities
-HUUUGE kitchen area with multiple fridges and cupboard spaces for food
-onsite pub for breakfasts, other meals, and beer
-super friendly desk staff
-one rude bar guy
-extra bathrooms in the hall (aside from the ensuite bathrooms)
-WiFi a little shoddy in the rooms (best in foyer and pub in basement)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank David R
Himontreal, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Hi David! Nice comment, thanks a lot. It's really appreciated. Hope you'll come back one day :) If you like hockey, notice that we also have ticket for all Habs game (just so you know).
Later!