“Rooftop hotel- full review”

Hotel Bonaventure Montreal
Ranked #49 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I researched hotels with the criteria: good location, family friendly, 4 star or better, pool, gym, price

Overall, the staff (front desk, restaurant, housekeeping) was very accommodating and friendly. I was particularly impressed with the restaurant staff but everyone was very responsive. The concierge service was the only service lacking. The were three concierge personnel who worked different shifts. The female was terrific but with the 2 males, I felt quite rushed even when no one else was waiting.

The Hilton is a rooftop hotel but the elevators are designated solely for the hotel and they are very fast and always available. I wouldn't say there is a "wow" factor to the interior but it does have some unique features like a courtyard feel, rooftop ponds/unique outdoor space and patio area's where you can eat or just relax if you like. I'm a light sleeper and I thought the rooms were quiet. We stayed up rather late and rose late but I didn't hear housekeeping or other guests leaving their rooms (I didn't hear doors opening or slamming shut).

The hotel is marketed as having an indoor pool that leads to the outdoor pool. This is not the case. The "indoor" pool is approximately 5FT X 5FT in size and is located in the towel room. You can get in the pool here if you wish and then duck under a half wall to get to the outdoor pool. You can't linger in this area but since the pool is heated and is open in the winter, it is a good access point for winter visitors. The pool was heated but personally, I was hoping it would be warmer because the water was still too chilly for my taste (at night). That said, I went in late August when the temperature averaged 75 degrees so most people were using the pool during the day.

The gym is a good size, good amount of equipment and it wasn't busy when I went (I didn't go in the early morning). There is no spa and no vending machines.

The location is great for walking to shops and restaurants (downtown/city center) and terrific location for taking the metro. It is a 20 minute walk to Old Montreal, Place Des Arts and Old Port or a 5 to 10 minute ride by metro / $3 fare each way. The metro always came within minutes of us getting to the platform.

They offered a pre-pay, non-refundable rate of $195/ per night which I believe was the best (or one of the best) among the 4 star hotels in this downtown/city center area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan-Northern-VA
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

This was our 3rd time visiting in 15 years. It is centrally located and easy to get to from NY. This time we had children (6 and 11) with us. It was easy walking distance to shopping, food and old town where the science museum is. The kids enjoyed the roof top pool. It was busy but not overly crowded. At night it was mainly families. It was heated which is nice as it was a little rainy and chilly.
The down side to the hotel was that it took 4 phone calls over 5 hours and a trip to the front desk before anyone would come to make up the pull out sofa for the kids. They were already dozing in our bed by the time the manager and staff member arrived after 9pm. The room itself was quiet and nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We were traveling across the region by car and had some refrigerated items with us. We arrived late (11:30 pm) and were very tired. When we got to the room, we found that the REFRIGERATOR WASN'T WORKING. I called the front desk and was told that I would need to remove the refrigerator from the cabinet and unplug then replug it! I asked if they could have engineering come up, they told me there was no engineering on duty at night. I did take the refrigerator out of the cabinet (very heavy and fairly difficult to do) and found that it was unplugged. Then we discovered NUMEROUS MOSQUITOES in the room. I called again and asked for bug spray and they said they would send someone up. FORTY minutes later a young man arrived, with no bug spray and then called front desk and confirmed the mosquitoes. They then said they would move us. We waited YET ANOTHER HALF HOUR for the new room and keys. We were given free breakfast for our discomforts.
The next day, THE WATER WENT OFF during the shower for about 4 minutes, then came on again.
When we left the room to go out for shopping and lunch, the housekeeper came in. When we returned 6 hours later, we found OUR DOOR HAD BEEN LEFT AJAR FOR 6 HOURS BY THE HOUSEKEEPER. I told the front desk attendant about if and asked that manager contact me immediately. I called two hours later, again to speak to the manager and was told he would be back shortly and he had received my message. He never contacted us that day or the next.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Karenneworleans
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We travelled to Montreal on Via Rail, and were delighted with our choice of hotels. Situated across the street from the Train Station, we walked our lugguage to the hotel with ease. From our room we enjoyed easy strolls to the Bell Centre, so soak up Montreal Canadians vibes. We were also near enough to walk to the old part of the city, and enjoyed exploring the area around Notre Dame cathedral.
We also loved the numerous gardens and water features incorporated into the hotel facility. Beautiful!

Room Tip: Choose to upgrade to a premier room, and enjoy the private lounge and breakfast areas.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LCDL
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I left a dress in the hotel room that I stayed in, and contacted the hotel within 24 hours of my stay there. I never heard back from the hotel, and had to contact them again, only to hear the gentleman who was dealing with my call get the date of my stay, and the room number that I stayed in wrong multiple times. I was also put on hold a number of times each time I contacted them. I was then told that I was out of luck because it had been so long since I stayed there. Even though I was told by the original contact person that they would call me back right away.
Very dissappointed with the staff at the hotel in terms of how they dealt with the situation. It was a beautiful dress, and I am very dissapointed.

The stay otherwise was very nice, the staff were friendly, and the couple who we were there with enjoyed their evening the night after their wedding. The beds were comfortable, the gardens beautiful, the location extremely convenient.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family