“Courteous staff, good location, needs refurbishing”

Hotel Bonaventure Montreal
Ranked #50 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed four days at Hotel Bonaventure, June 2012. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet. The staff was very helpful, especially with information and directions on various points of interest. This was a business trip with several meals pre-arranged - I can't say enough about the quality of the food - excellent! The only draw-back of this hotel is the multi-levels that can only be accessed by stairs. The hotel has done their best to adapt ramps, but not all levels can be accommodated this way. I had to drag my suitcase up and down the stairs to get to my room. Overall, a good hotel and a good location; an easy walk to the main shopping district, the historic quarter and many museums and art galleries. Montreal . . . always worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MagmamanCan
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear MagmamanCan,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your observations and experience.

Rest assured that your kind comments will be shared with the all concerned. It is always worthwhile taking the time to reinforce positive experience with the people who have made a difference.
We took good note of your observations with regards to guest room accessibility. As a general practice, we encourage our front desk agents to offer assistance from the bellman team or alternatively, show arriving guest the location of the elevator. We apologize if this was not the case. In an effort to improve upon this shortcoming, we are in the process of adding one more elevator scheduled for completion in September.

We thank you again for having selected us as your home in Montreal and hope to have an opportunity to host you again.

Louis-Robert Handfield
Area General Manager

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

This hotle is located within 1 min walk from Montreal train station. it is also at the doorstep of the undergroung subway system.. once you get here you have non need for a car or a cab.

the hotel itself has an awkword style. to access it you get to to use a lift to the 20ish floor. so you get a panoramic view of surounding streets. Service was very professional. chekin within 2 minutes from arrival. rooms are quite lares and clean. equipped with microwave and mini fridge.

TV selection is average but the down sides are paid local phone calls at 1$ a call. free wifi good for email and some light browsing, but quality is terrible for voice (skype) so i guess you got to pay for the premium paid service to get better connectivity. (20$)

overall i liked this hotel, it is after all very clean, staff are very helpfull and freindly. i will go back again on my next business trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank babouze
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a conference in April. It is within a quick walk to the train station in downtown Montreal. It isn't warm looking from the outside. Really an odd concrete structure with a textured cement surface you will find throughout the bulding. The hotel has an odd layout consisting of a lot of ramps and stairs. The reception is not at street level and you need to take the elevator from the street. If you don't look carefully, you will miss the ramp to help you roll your luggage up from the walk. The staff at reception were professional and provided quick check in service. The maze effect does not stop from the outside. There seems to be some infatuation with split level design, which makes rolling suitcases up and down annoying.
The room is lovely though. Modern looking furniture and design. Very comfortable bed and desk for business use. The wifi worked perfectly. The bathroom was clean and spacious. There is tonnes of closet space as well. My room happen to look out into the garden area of the hotel. This helped to minimize the feeling of being in a concrete bunker. The fitness facility is average and again located in an odd spot within the mouse maze. Being at a conference, the odd service actually came from the wait staff providing food service. There wasn't enough space to sit down so people had to stand at some meals at cocktail tables. Even when there wasn't enough cutlery, the constant answer I would get in orderwas that in order to get some I had to be sitting down where there were place settings of cutlery. Finally when I said I could not eat a salad with my bare hands that the manager went to retrieve more cutlery. The experience was generally quite average but not exceptional. For the price paid, I would only stay there for business purposes.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank YVRTravelGirl_10
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This hotel is in a great location if you're looking to see downtown Montreal and is a comfortable walk to the nightlife. It's located right across the street from the Via Rail station for those traveling by train. The Reception area is an elevator ride up, and the staff was both friendly and efficient. The trip to the room was quite the maze and we found there were no elevators so pulled and lifted our luggage up the last few stairs to our room. The room itself was clean, large, and the bed very comfortable. The room had modern furniture and a large workstation which was very functional. I had no issues accessing the wireless internet (they have free and wifi for a cost) no matter where I was. I appreciated a fridge in the room because the prices in the bar and restaurant are steep to say the least. Watch out for the prices at the bar and pool-side...$12 for a draft beer in an average sized plastic cup (like at a sporting event) is pure robbery. Also, I'd like a glass of wine not to buy the whole bottle! The pre-made salads at poolside for $17 was pricey but thankfully tasted good. We ended up going out a lot and got much more value for our money.

I attended a conference and found those facilities generally average compared to other conference facilities I've been to. In a couple of cased the chairs were very uncomfortable for sessions that were longer. The staff was very attentive, the food typical for conferences / serving a large number of people, and the AV team fantastic when there were issues.

One of the elevators didn't work and was closed for repairs one of the days and this caused significant delays, line ups and aggravation. This is the major down-side with Reception and the rooms on the top of the building.

Due to the prices I wouldn't likely stay here unless it was for work.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kblack_YYC
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My wife and I have had our best stay in this hotel! such a cozy nice hotel with beautiful garden and waterfalls inside the hotel. the service is above the top hotels I have stayed before and the food is delicious.

We had our best honeymoon stay there. We always compare the other hotels we visited during our trip to this hotel and non of them where close to Hilton Montreal Bonaventure!

It might be a bit pricey but the VALUE IS way in the top.

The room is really nice, big and has a beautiful view to the garden, however the washroom is old (wished they had renovated it).
They have a great restaurant and a huge delicious breakfast buffet.

Thanks to the staff for their smiles and friendliness too! even the swimming pool attendant was nice and offered us to take a picture for us! (I believe that explains why I felt in love with this hotel)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple