“Beautiful hotel but staff were snooty”

Hotel Le Germain Montreal
Ranked #10 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here for one night as a treat while visiting family. Having grown up in Montreal i had been to the Le Germain once before and had a wonderful time.

Our stay here this last time wasn't as memorable as I wanted it to be. The room as nice, super clean, modern, a nice view. We paid close to $300 for the night and I was hoping the service would be a reflection for that and it wasn't. The staff, apart from the doorman who all stand-offish and in the restaurant they couldn't find my husbands name on the "guest list" so we were made to feel like were trying to get breakfast for free when in actual fact the room was in my name and my husband had just been put down as "guest" They ended up allowing him in since I had booked a room for 2. In the end that experience didn't leave the best overall feeling for me. We aren't picky people...i've stayed at super cheap and super pricey hotels..for us it's how we're treated that makes all the difference and here Le Germain fell short on the day we were there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Everhale
GermainMontreal, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the Germain Montreal. I am glad that you like our product as we work really hard to keep it in great condition. I am sorry to hear that you encountered an unfortunate incident with our colleagues at the Laurie Raphael Montreal. Please rest assure that your comment will not go unnoticed and we will manage and train our staff in order to avoid such a situation in the future. We hope that we will have the chance to see you again in the near future.

Dan Cyr

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Whenever my husband and I are on for a weekend away from home, we choose this hotel. The service is really exceptionnal, the food is excellent (Daniel Vezinat's cuisine is incredible), the rooms are cozy, clean and beautifully furnished. I love everything about this hotel. This past weekend, we decided to bring our two kids along with us and we had a wonderful time. Montreal's rue St-Catherine is just two blocks away. And the breakfast is awesome (food + music). We live less than an hour away from Montreal and we do "sleep over" at le Germain at least twice a year, because it's the ultimate treat!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Melanie T

I love reading comment like yours because I do feel that is really who we are. We take a lot of pride in the customer service we offer to our guest. We match it with the rooms and culinary experience we offer. Please note that when you feel the need for a weekend away to relax or complete last minute shopping. Our doors will always be open to welcome you and your family!

Dan Cyr

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed at the property for a week in January and another week in February 2012. The service was consistently solid in all departments. Rooms are large and appear even more cavernous because of the high ceilings. The restaurant, Laurie Raphael, offers bold cuisine, featuring local Québec terroir - samplings of artisinal cheeses and mushroom foie gras were memorable. A decent breakfast buffet is included in the room rate, which was around C$200 a night when I was there. There's also great sushi (Shodan) around the corner and lots of shopping within four square blocks of the hotel. Bite into a crisp Granny Smith apple which you'll find nested in little wall niches throughout the hotel, and consider the rickety elevators part of the charm of this wonderful little package in the heart of Montreal.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brahmstein
GermainMontreal, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear Brahmstein,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your thoughts about our hotel with everybody!
We are pleased that you have become a regular guest with us and keep on enjoying the time we spend together. We take pride in offering you the best hospitality/culinary experience possible with Laurie Raphael Montreal. I am also a fan of sho dan and stay tune to see a possible package with Germain Montreal and sho dan (scoop!). Just to let you know we are in the process of refurbishing and renovating our guest elevators. Hopefully you can enjoy a smooth and quiet ride on your next visit.

Pierre Papillier

Reviewed 17 March 2012

I've stayed at the hotel for business, and avent been disappointed. All the charm of the boutiques in Old Montreal, but centrally located. A great quiet room with good space to work and relax (I get the two doubles room, as the single bed rooms I understand are quite small). One thing to note is the shower/bath has a large glass wall that goes into the living area (there are blinds, but be aware... Could be fun, or inappropriate depending on who is staying with you)...

A great little bar and excellent breakfast can also be found a the hotel.

Room Tip: Step up from the standard single bed rooms... Get more space to work and relax.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul B
GermainMontreal, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear Paul B,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We love to hear back from our customer and we appreciate the details you put into your review. We appreciate the fact that you love our centrally located hotel in Montreal's corporate/downtown area. Our glass showers are quite popular and interesting not to say the least. The horizontal blinds can be closed for complete privacy. Please feel free to contact us if you would prefer we close them prior to your arrival at Hotel Le Germain Montreal. I would be a great pleasure to assist you with your future request.

Pierre Papillier

Reviewed 28 February 2012

My wife and I stay here whenever we come up to Montreal for a winter holiday. The entire vibe is well thought out - they've almost made it an art form.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple