“It was my Second Home...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Omni Mont-Royal

Hotel Omni Mont-Royal
Ranked #23 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“It was my Second Home...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed at the Omi for so many years and I never thought to share how a wonderful experience it has been in my life. I, because of my work, have had to travel around the world and it took me to Montreal for many years, What a DELIGHT, shopping, gastronomy and above all, this is where I am from - visiting my family. Do not mis a chance to visit the Old Montreal to really feel the French lifestyle right here in North America.

Room Tip: Montreal is ALWAYS A 4 STARS TRIP WHERE EVER YOU GO. I will advise to know some French language.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed here for one night with kids while visiting Montreal.

Hotel is upscale. Lobby and rooms were nicely decorated, rooms had very comfortable beds, and hotel was well maintained overall.

Pool is outdoor only, but well maintained.

Valet parking was $27, which seemed reasonable for downtown.

We also stayed for two nights at Le Westin, which was also downtown but closer to the Old Montreal area. Without bashing the Omni, I will say that we enjoyed the Westin a bit more, for the following reasons:

- The service was a bit more attentive. When we arrived at the Omni, the valet was standing there but with his back to us, talking to some other people. It took a couple of minutes for him to acknowledge us; and while he got us a luggage cart, there was no porter/bellhop to take the luggage to our room, so we did it ourselves.
- There were no vending machines or store in the lobby to buy snacks or soda. My wife asked where she could buy a bottle of water, and her only option was the $7 (?) bottle in the room, which was not cold. A small thing, but worth noting. Sometimes a hotel can be too "upscale" for its own good.
- There is a $10 charge for wireless Internet (it is free at Le Westin).
- I tried to use the business center, but in addition to there being a $10 charge for 15 minutes of computer/Internet use, the printer was out of order, so I couldn't do what I needed to do. I went to the copier center across the street, which cost $3.50 to get the job done.
- Last thing: I noticed some very worn/wrinkled carpet on the stair landing between the lobby and second floor, which was very surprising for such an upscale hotel. That said, it looks like they are renovating that area, so hopefully they're resolving that issue.

2-3 advantage vs. Le Westin:

- If you are a runner, the hotel is very close to Mt. Royal Park, which has a 3-mile running path.
- It was $30 less expensive than the Westin for the night we stayed.
- The outdoor pool can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the weather!

Overall: a very nice hotel, but probably would stick with Le Westin on a return visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OmniMgr, Manager at Hotel Omni Mont-Royal, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for all of your feedback and for helping us to understand how we measure up to the competition. We are making ongoing changes to the physical nature of the hotel as well as our services and customer feedback is key for us to recognize where to focus our efforts. If you do consider returning, we would like to invite you to join our complimentary Select Guest Membership program. Some of the many perks members receive are wifi and morning beverage delivery service at no charge. Thank you again for your review and we hope for a future opportunity to serve you.
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed here just the one night. We were not looking for much more than a nice clean room, a good night's sleep, and no annoying little problems. Our night in the Omni delivered that. We got a great rate through HotWire, and we were pretty happy with everything.

I was surprised how clearly I could hear things outside the room in the corridor. The ice machine sounded like it was in my room (it was on the wall in the corridor, right opposite my door). The hotel was very quiet that night, so I don't know if this is indicative of a fundamental noise/quietness issue.

One thing that I can see irritating people is the parking arrangements. For $16.50 you can self-park, but you pay again each time you go in and out. For $27.50 you get valet parking with in-and-out privileges. Me, I just HATE valet parking - I usually find I can get the car so much faster myself. As it happened, there was no need for in-and-out on this one night so that wasn't an actual problem.

Room Tip: There are 30-odd floors, and the view from the higher floors can be worth having. If you get high e...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Talos
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at the Hotel Omni Mont-Royal. We are glad you found everything you were looking for while staying with us but also appreciate your added feedback about the corridor noise and parking. If you return to Montreal, we hope you will once again consider staying with us.
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Older, outdated hotel with comfortable beds. Nothing remarkable about it, but it provides an adequate place to sleep. We had a really good deal on it, I would not pay a regular, advertized rate for this hotel. Staff was very friendly and welcoming, bartenders were charming. We arrived at 3.45 pm to find out that the room is still being cleaned. After about 20 min of wait and another inquiry, we were offered free drinks at the bar and they checked out luggage and brought it to the room. The area has a lot of outdated hotel buildings, it seems to be a trend there. Overall, would stay again at the same discounted rate, but would stay at a nicer place for a regular price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are grateful for all of your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We do regret that we were unable to check you in immediately upon arrival, but do appreciate your patience and understanding. Our hotel is in the final stages of a complete renovation that is getting rave reviews. We hope that you will have the chance to return and enjoy our newly renovated look!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Whilst I am sure the Omni group are aware that the Montreal Omni is outdated and still needs work done to modernise the hotel, I can assure any travellers that you will struggle to find a team of employees who are as friendly,welcoming and helpful than you will find here.
The location is 2nd to none and it is close to many restaurants,bars, shopping and many museums.
The swimming pool and gym are adequate.
We were offered a higher room with a great view of Mont Royal for an extra $15 per night which was worth the extra.
Overall we had a great stay here and would certainly use this hotel again.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sellers56
We appreciate your feedback and are grateful for your compliments of our associates. A need for an update to the hotel was recognized and we are now concluding a $20 million renovation that included a complete redesign of our lobby, restaurant, and guest rooms. We hope you will have an opportunity to return and experience our new look!