I've been a member of this board long enough to know that when the majority of reviews are negative on a property, you shouldn't stay there. I didn't heed that advice this time around.
I had to make a 3 night booking for Downtown Montreal for some meetings, and felt I was getting such a good price for a suite hotel in that city, that I grabbed it from booking.com. I just couldn't pass it up. My mistake.
I arrived at the hotel at about 9pm. There is no immediate place to park the car, as the streets are all full. So I called the front desk, and they informed me that the hotel parking lot was full, and I would have to park at the Pepsi Forum across the street. Ok, I'll let that one slip.
When I finally get to the hotel, I get the sense that this is some old age pensioner's place, or something from Vancouver's downtown east side for the homeless. The check-in staff were friendly enough--gave me a room and sent me on my way. The building inside and outside looks like it's from the 70s. The relic of an elevator took 5 mins to respond to the call button, despite being empty.
As soon as I approached the door to the room, I could smell something nasty. I opened the door and was floored. The place stunk--reeked--of I don't know what. It was pervasive throughout the entire living room, kitchen, bedroom and toilet. I opened all the doors and windows and turned the a/c to full and went outside to have dinner. An hour later I returned to find absolutely no change. I went to the front desk, told them of the situation and they gave me another room on a lower floor.
Hesitantly, I opened the door and was pleased to find no smell. However the room was identical to the previous one. Let me just say this, not once did I walk barefoot in that room, not even with socks on--I kept my shoes on the entire time. The carpet was filthy. On one area under the bed, there appeared to be a large glob of what looked like rat feces. There was dust everywhere. All the furnishings are about 30 years old or older, and they looked like it. I didn't dare sit on the couch in the living room, it was covered with a fine layer of dirt. I went on the balcony and immediately came inside again--it was horrendous. Paint peeling off everywhere, cigarette butts on the ground, big dark bltoches all over the place.
In the room, there were enormous stains all over the walls and the carpets and sofa. The kitchen was a joke. All though there was a fridge and a stove and some basic accessories, I didn't dare use anything. The bathroom was tiny, but it was clean i'll give it that much. But it looked like it belonged in a urban Detroit 2 bedroom home slated for demolition. You can imagine the beds weren't much better. As soon as I lifted the mattress, I could see the bed bugs with my own eyes everywhere. I stayed one night, and despite having prepaid for three, left the next day and checked into the Holiday Inn Express--same price but a world apart.
Let me say this--I travel all over the world, stay about 100 nights a year in hotels. I stay at major properties like Fairmont, Intercontinentals, etc, and smaller dives in places like Delhi and Bangkok. I am definitely not a very picky person. I can appreciate some properties are simply older, but are well kept. I can appreciate some properties are simply cheaper or budget.
But this place should not exist as a hotel. It should have been demolished 10 years ago. I know extreme reviews are usually not reliable, but take it from me--avoid this place at all costs. You've been warned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in Downtown Montreal, La Tour Belvedere Apartment Hotel offers Exceptional Service and Value. Welcome to La Tour Belvedere, a well appointed apartment hotel in a quiet location offering spacious suites and all the amenities and features you need for corporate housing and short or long term affordable stays in Montreal. Located just steps from the hustle and bustle in downtown Montreal, relax at our furnished hotel apartment while enjoying convenient services and close freeway and subway access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Tour Belvedere reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Tour Belvedere Hotel Montreal
- La Tour Belvedere Montreal