“Should have trusted the other reviews--Don't stay here!”
Review of La Tour Belvedere

La Tour Belvedere
Ranked #87 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I've been a member of this board long enough to know that when the majority of reviews are negative on a property, you shouldn't stay there. I didn't heed that advice this time around.

I had to make a 3 night booking for Downtown Montreal for some meetings, and felt I was getting such a good price for a suite hotel in that city, that I grabbed it from booking.com. I just couldn't pass it up. My mistake.

I arrived at the hotel at about 9pm. There is no immediate place to park the car, as the streets are all full. So I called the front desk, and they informed me that the hotel parking lot was full, and I would have to park at the Pepsi Forum across the street. Ok, I'll let that one slip.

When I finally get to the hotel, I get the sense that this is some old age pensioner's place, or something from Vancouver's downtown east side for the homeless. The check-in staff were friendly enough--gave me a room and sent me on my way. The building inside and outside looks like it's from the 70s. The relic of an elevator took 5 mins to respond to the call button, despite being empty.

As soon as I approached the door to the room, I could smell something nasty. I opened the door and was floored. The place stunk--reeked--of I don't know what. It was pervasive throughout the entire living room, kitchen, bedroom and toilet. I opened all the doors and windows and turned the a/c to full and went outside to have dinner. An hour later I returned to find absolutely no change. I went to the front desk, told them of the situation and they gave me another room on a lower floor.

Hesitantly, I opened the door and was pleased to find no smell. However the room was identical to the previous one. Let me just say this, not once did I walk barefoot in that room, not even with socks on--I kept my shoes on the entire time. The carpet was filthy. On one area under the bed, there appeared to be a large glob of what looked like rat feces. There was dust everywhere. All the furnishings are about 30 years old or older, and they looked like it. I didn't dare sit on the couch in the living room, it was covered with a fine layer of dirt. I went on the balcony and immediately came inside again--it was horrendous. Paint peeling off everywhere, cigarette butts on the ground, big dark bltoches all over the place.

In the room, there were enormous stains all over the walls and the carpets and sofa. The kitchen was a joke. All though there was a fridge and a stove and some basic accessories, I didn't dare use anything. The bathroom was tiny, but it was clean i'll give it that much. But it looked like it belonged in a urban Detroit 2 bedroom home slated for demolition. You can imagine the beds weren't much better. As soon as I lifted the mattress, I could see the bed bugs with my own eyes everywhere. I stayed one night, and despite having prepaid for three, left the next day and checked into the Holiday Inn Express--same price but a world apart.

Let me say this--I travel all over the world, stay about 100 nights a year in hotels. I stay at major properties like Fairmont, Intercontinentals, etc, and smaller dives in places like Delhi and Bangkok. I am definitely not a very picky person. I can appreciate some properties are simply older, but are well kept. I can appreciate some properties are simply cheaper or budget.

But this place should not exist as a hotel. It should have been demolished 10 years ago. I know extreme reviews are usually not reliable, but take it from me--avoid this place at all costs. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank averagejoe75
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is an excellent facility for a short cheap stay downtown Montreal.

It appears to have been a apartment building that was converted into a hotel. In consequence, there is always a long wait for the elevator which is often already packed. The breakfast accommodation is also quite substandard, but there are lot of restaurants nearby and the apartments have full cooking.

On the plus, these are great little apartments with full facilities. It is only a block from hockey and the Alexis Nihon.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Drummond89
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I'd say the only downside to this hotel was that the breakfast wasn't included in the price. When split between 2 friends and I we only paid about $40 per night and had access to a pool, gym, and our room had a queen bed, pull out couch, its own kitchen complete with cooking utensils and coffee maker (coffee provided as well). The location was great too, very close walking to saint catherine so it was easy to maneuver the city from there. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank freshmantraveler
Reviewed 8 September 2011

It is an old apartment building, transformed into a hotel. Bad smell in the room, old carpet, old bathroom, old kitchen, old elevators and only 2 of them, no parking spots. Overall it was clean, they try to make it clean, but the old furniture, carpet, sofa, closets a.s.o. gives you a bad feeling. I wouldn't stay there again. I think for this money you can find a better place.
You have to pay for your stay when checking in instead of checking out. What kind of hotel charges you when you get there, instead of when you are leaving. This should tell you something about the customers they had in the past.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank D M
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Our suite, for which we paid top dollar since no discounts were available, had two huge holes in the walls, burns on the counter in the kitchen, a lamp with a shade that had to be propped up against the wall, no coffee table, and the furniture in the bathroom was showing signs of swelling and warping from the dampness. It was a refurbished suite but, apparently, hadn't been checked by the management for some time, since they were unaware of the problems until I told them about it after our first night there. I was offered another suite but it would ot be available for yet another day. Since it was tolerable, and we were already unpacked and settled in, we said we'd put up with it.
When I requested an adjustment in the price (after two weeks of trying to contact the manager) I was told it was not possible since I had been offered another suite.

Room Tip: Check the room carefullyt and contact the management immediately if not satisfied.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple