“An intimate delight”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Four of us booked 10 days ahead at Mas Cuisine on Wellington Street in Verdun but surprisingly on this Tuesday night, it was quite empty which meant we had the full attention of chef and charming waiter. The style of cuisine is very original and delicious. As well,the cost is very reasonable owing to the policy of entree, main and dessert priced at the price of the main around $46 per person As well, the wine list is most fair, our white burgundy came at $31 so we had a couple of 'em. My starter was albacore tuna with a wonderful accompaniment I can't remember in detail and my main was magret de canard and confit combined with vegetables. We had a perfect evening and managed to park right in front of the door, most welcome on a wet evening.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

An early seating was perfect for us away from the hype of downtown. Entrees were the steak stare and the albacore tuna. The tartar was done perfectly, no overwhelming onion and not drowning in sauce or oil. Accompanied by endives and some garden onions it was perfect. The albacore tuna was also a happy mix of flavors grilled perfectly. The main was the scallops which were done perfectly as well. The accompanying greens were different than I would expect, consisting of snap peas and some other market veggies, but nonetheless, excellent. The lamb was also excellent. What is great to now is that nothing was salty beyond recognition. The favors were all present, and the dessert was also sublime. All in all an excellent experience that confirmed my belief that good food is still alive and well in Montreal. Dinner for two, two beers and one wine glass with tip: 150.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

In the cab, leaving the center of Montreal for one of the less-popular neighborhoods, all I could think is "what have I gotten myself into"! What indeed...as this restaurant can hold its own with the finest fares in all of Montreal.

Admittedly, the neighborhood isn't much to look at...perfectly safe, but still one that people wouldn't be stroll up and down the streets window shopping.

Instead, Mas Cuisine is located in a quiet local neighborhood and serves up its five-star cuisine without fuss, but with excellent service. The menu is simple, but with diversity of flavors and tastes for even the pickiest of eaters (like me). And simply put, the food is outstanding. No "minimalist" approach here. The food is plentiful, with an excellent blend of flavors and textures.

The pricing is straight forward (prix fixe) and a relative bargain given the pricing at other Montreal eateries.

It's a relatively smaller space (only about 12 tables), so please DON'T tell anyone about this place!!! We need to keep this restaurant a secret so that we can secure a table the next time we're in Montreal.

2  Thank DuncanTCH
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Mas Cuisine is not one of those touristy spots you might find in Montreal, which is exactly what we wanted to avoid on a short jaunt up to Canada from Upstate NY. Instead this restaurant is located in the Verdun neighborhood that only adventurous vacationers are likely to find and food-savvy locals already know about. In fact when we arrived in the neighborhood we were contemplating telling the cab driver to just keep driving. Are we ever glad we didn't make miss THIS place!

The restaurant itself is fairly small (cozy is probably an appropriate description) with 4 tables for four and 5 tables for two. The kitchen is open so you can see all the goings on (although my partner, who was facing the kitchen, did think the lighting coming out from the kitchen was a little distracting in the dining room). Great music sets a wonderful tone as does the service.

On the evening we dined at Mas Cuisine the menu offered 6 starters, 6 entrees and 5 or 6 desserts. The price is based on entree you choose. For appetizers he chose the shimp croquette and I selected the grilled tuna. My partner chose the scallop dish and I chose the pork neck confit for our entrees and let me say that the food was OUTSTANDING - probably one of the best meals we've had in Montreal. For dessert (we didn't really have room, but who could say no?) I had the lemon curd tart and my partner had the chocolate mousse plate - again, out of this world.

The restaurant has what appeared to be some liquors, but we chose a wonderful Italian from the well thought out wine list.

Mas Cuisine is not inexpensive, but the food was so fantastic we felt it was absolutely worth it. We arrived with trepidation and left with full stomachs having had an experience that far exceeded our expectations. We came to find out that the chef owned another restaurant (still does?) and opened Mas Cuisine recently. His loyal customers followed him, and we can see why. We will definitely be back when we are North of the Border again!

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Lets see.......Fine modern French food with great service and a wine list that is interesting and does not leave holes in your bank account. 3 courses are included in the price of the main. The menu changes often which is nice. While it is not a large menu, about 5 apps, 5 mains, and 3 or 4 desserts, the cuisine is done by one of the cities best chefs. When I was there I had the beef tartare, scallops and lemon tart. Fantastic. Generous portions and a deal at what is being charged for the quality of food.
As it is only opened Monday to Friday nights, reservations are essential and you will probably need to do it fairly well in advance.