“Awesome location, nice staff, pool is a joke.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal

Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
Ranked #15 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Portland, Maine
“Awesome location, nice staff, pool is a joke.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

First time to Montreal. Great location access to everything. Walking distance to most desired locations, and access to Metro. Nice staff, very polite and accommodating bell folks. The in house exchange is a rip off. If you convert $20 they keep $4. The hotel rooms are nice and the hotel although small is well done if your looking for a nice place to sleep. The pool on the other hand ought to be called a foot soak. This is not a pool. The hotel should close it down and install a real pool for the guests. Do not believe for a minute that this is a pool, you will be very disappointed.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
new york city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

I'm actually a little surprised that this hotel is not rated more highly on Tripadvisor. I just got back from a three-night stay, and I had a wonderful experience. The front desk staff were efficient and informative; the room was impeccable (great bed, linens, spotless bathroom, nice robes, quiet rooms w/ipod dock, etc); and you can't beat the location.

I was unsure of whether to stay in the downtown area or in Old Montreal (or even the much talked-about Plateau district), but in the end, I'm very glad I stayed downtown. With the "Just for Laughs" festival going on, it was a central location, and the metro is very close by, which makes getting to the other regions very simple. In the summer, there always seems to be something going on in downtown Montreal, specifically in the Place des Arts area, so it makes sense to stay downtown. Also, although one reviewer here said that the hotel is more than a 20-minute walk to Old Montreal, I walked from the hotel to Old Montreal in 20 mins (but perhaps I'm a fast walker). Either which way, the hotel is convenient to the metro, so a few stops on that will take you within a five minute walk of Old Montreal or directly to the trendy Plateau area.

My only very minor quibbles with this hotel were the less than lively bar/restaurant, which had a somewhat cold bartender and steep prices, and the very tiny workout room (one treadmill, one elliptical machine, one bike and a few weights - period).

Overall, though, I'd highly recommend this hotel for those who want a smaller, more boutique hotel feel in a central location. Also, the smallish but romantic pool is great when it's not crowded.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Our check-in was terrible. The staff never welcomed us, the room wasn't ready, etc. My husband and I were meeting downtown for a night out, and they could not understand that we had 2 cars to park. The coffee maker and safe were in the bathroom, and the water did not drain fully from the shower. In short, we never felt welcomed, nor that our business was appreciated. I checked in early and asked for 2 room keys (one for me, one for my husband), however they did not tell me that you need the key to get in the elevator to get up to the rooms. On checking out, while waiting for my car, 3 people were behind the front desk and none acknowledged me. When one person finally asked if they could help, I said that our experience was less than great and that we would never stay there again. I got a "sorry to hear that" but no additional questions on what could be done to improve their service. So many other great hotels downtown with great service. Pass this one, by.

Room Tip: All recently renovated as it it a new hotel. Pillows are very large and the bed is not comfortable.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank 191anonymous
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Le St-Martin, and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.
It goes without saying that I am terribly sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay, and found our service to be dissapointing.
We are constantly trying to make every stay, for every guest, a special experience so to read how we dropped the ball in your case is truly saddening.
Please accept my apologies on behalf of everyone at Le St-Martin.

Rest assured we will continue to revise and re-visit procedures and training with our Front Office staff to ensure such mistakes do not happen again.

Regarding the water not draining in your shower, I am happy to inform you we have indentified the issue and solved it promptly.

I'd love to have the chamce to host you at Le St-Martin once again, and am confident we can change your opinion on our services. Do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss matters further.

Best,
cambridge ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

I trully enjoyed our accomodations and stay including the pool which had much character. I think the only thing needed to make this a trully outstanding experience would be to update the front desk staff. I was given incorrect and misleading information on several occasions (no, a walk to old montreal is NOT 20 minutes by foot as an example of which there were many others) and their attitude could be described as curt. Especially when compared to the rest of the staff who was more than helpful and knowledgable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

We took a quick trip to Montreal to enjoy the "just for laughs festival" and the St-Martin was a great choice to stay in the city. Located in the heart of downtown Montreal, we were able to walkego all the city main sight seeing venues. Staff were very nice and accommodating. Room was impeccable and quite affordable given the time of year. Loved the sidewalk cafe. Will do it again next year.