“Money suck”

Ranked #16 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Money suck”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I had received a discounted rate for two nights stay at Le St- Martin and was still charged the $300 deposit. I called the manager over 5 times trying to leave a message. The one time I was able to speak to her, she told me the money would be refunded immediately. Two and a half weeks later and still NO REFUND. i was furious and tried repeatedly to get my money back. Every since time I called I got receptionists telling me she either wasn't in the office or didn't know how to help. If the hotel is offering a special rate, then they need to be able to promise the refund. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE- will never stay at this stuffy hotel again

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sally M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
Paris
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The St-Martin Hotel Particulier does many things right. I stayed here for seven days on a business trip in a superior room ("Grand Lux Room"). The hotel is particularly well located downtown center by Peel on Maisonneuve which is a significantly calmer boulevard than, say, St-Catherine or Sherbrooke.

The room was as beautiful in reality as it was on the website, spacious while generally tastefully furnished to the effect that it remained cosy, with no signs of wear (understandably since it has only been opened for four years). My room came with a gorgeous and wonderfully large bathtub as well as a shower, and four sets of towels. As mentioned in previous reviews the housekeeping service keeps everything very clean while never displacing any of my items, though their ability to replenish empty supplies, such as the shampoo, bath salts, etc., was a bit random (I assume depending on who was doing my room).

Amenities such as Internet are entirely free, both as wireless and as wired (an Ethernet cable is conveniently provided for you under the television). An alarm clock which can dock an iPhone/iPod is a welcome gadget. A pair of slippers, as well as a shower robes, an iron and ironing table can be found in the entrance closet.

The pool may not be on the rooftop, but it is wonderful to relax in with friends after a hot day.

The staff is nice and helpful and, perhaps more surprisingly, genuine. Some small touches are very welcome. I particularly enjoyed the chocolate: it comes from a nearby chocolate-maker. It is not complimentary (though on occasion a freeby will be left in your room), but it is very classy. It is something that I would not buy for myself, but that I'm happy to find and take comfort in at the end of a long day of work.

(As a side note, the restaurant was too expensive, and the waiters a little bit less helpful, a little bit more snooty than the hotel staff. I had a fruit salad though for breakfast once, and it was worth the money.)

Unfortunately, I think that although the hotel strives for high-end quality, it fails at many small, yet important details, which defy common sense.

For instance, the bathtub comes with a shower extension. For my first couple days at the hotel, the main faucet was correctly selected, but it happened that housekeeping would leave the shower extension selected (which I assume they use to clean the bathtub), as as the water pressure is extremely strong, the heavy metal shower extension will move around, spray everything, and you better hope it falls on the floor rather than hits you. This sounds ridiculous, but it is very dangerous and an oversight I cannot understand. I reported this, and hope this doesn't happen to another guest.

The sewage system in the bathroom allows a bit of stagnant water to collect and thus there is a perpetual smell. Nothing particularly offensive, but neither is it something you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. I was told this was due to a city-wide problem caused by a recent bout of rain (which I am inclined to believe).

As mentioned there are some apples (the manager says below they are Asian pears) offered throughout the hotel, but they are imported from China: my question is, why would I specifically want to eat Chinese apple/pears? Especially when there are a whole bunch of orchards in the Montreal suburbs, and especially given their emphasis on being eco-rated.

The furniture is generally well chosen, and by contrast the desk chair stands out as particularly ugly and uncomfortable, unstable and hard to adjust. It seems to have been mass-ordered as an afterthought from some cheap office supply store.

Although I asked for non-synthetic linen, I got, of course, a synthetic-stuffed blanked. It keeps me unbearably warm and makes me perspire; but of course it is easy to sleep without it. In the same vein, the pillows are overly stuffed, something that just doesn't make sense: does anybody find it comfortable to sleep with a neck at a 90° angle?

Finally, the most damnable offense for me is that the air-conditionning is too overzealous. One of the unusual features of the Grand Lux Room is that the bathroom is melded with the main room. This is wonderful as you do not get the "claustrophobic" feeling you can get from some bathrooms. On the other hand, the designers felt it was necessary to put two air-conditioning vents inside the bathroom. As you get out of a warm shower, you get instantly doused in freezing air. (And blame this as one reason I fell sick early on during my stay.) Perhaps it is my European sensibility, but I just don't understand why you need air-conditioning in a bathroom---in my opinion this is poor design, and laziness at installing an actual air extractor (which would deal with any dampness problem).

My final appreciation is a bit bittersweet. I feel like I should have enjoyed my stay more than I actually have. In truth my complaints are minor: if I come back, I'll know to turn off the air-conditioning (at least when I use the bathroom); I'll know to check the bath's faucet before using it, and so on. But it is surprising that this hotel, which does so many arguably harder things right (again, I feel this is one of the best designed rooms I've stayed in), stops short of delivering on smaller details.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank dowland
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2012

It used to be, "location, location, location"... Now I rate a hotel on the above 3 criteria. THis hotel meets the 5 star rating in all three categories.
This is our second year to stay at this property during F1 race weekend, and we feel like we are coming "home" each June. The staff greets us with a warm welcome, a glass of champagne (gotta love race week!), and a chocolate. They seem to enjoy working where they work, and are always willing to assist their guests.
The location is fantastic. Do you like to ride bicycles? There are rentals about a block away. Ride the subway? Also a block to the nearest station... and if you want to go to some great restaurants or be in the middle of the night life, you are a quick walk or taxi ride from it all.
Rooms are nicely appointed, spacious, and clean. Very professional housekeeping staff. The only thing I missed was an actual bathtub, but I can take time for a bath when I'm at home! Not a big deal.
Thank you again, Hotel Le St. Martin. I hope that our hotels in Austin, Texas treat our F1 race guests as well. I am promoting you in my presentations to them (and just today mentioned the chocolate racecar on my bed this year!) Thank you, Miss Fish

Room Tip: We enjoyed being in the odd numbered rooms for a view of the street with all of the action during ra...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank AFish1
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I concur with JudeandJem's review, as far as it goes. There was unexpected free wifi in the rooms as well. Just be aware of a few sneaky tactics. First, on entering the room, you see a half-bottle of wine on a tray, along with 2 wine glasses & a corkscrew. Nice welcome gesture, similar to what we received at some Marriott resort properties. READ before you touch. The ONLY complimentary consumables at this hotel are 2 coffee pods (any additional are charged to your bill, as is the $26 half-bottle of wine) and apples (unfortunately imported from China) in the lobby and beside the elevators. I worry that they'll charge for the creamers in the fridge! Second, the "rooftop pool" is not at the top storey of the hotel but on a small balcony on the second floor, overlooking a parking lot. Frankly, I've seen hot tubs that are larger. The water was turbid to boot. I wonder if they'll advertise it as a rooftop skating rink in the winter. Finally, the air conditioning won't drop the room temp. below 22 degrees and I'm on one of the lower floors. It must be a schvitz higher up. So much for hoping to cool off in the 30 degree weather. Oh, and watch out for the large wooden box the mattress is mounted on. It's easy to scrape your shin on a corner once the duvet is removed.
The restaurant gets good reviews on Chowhound but is pricey. We had a great fun meal 2 minutes away at Dominion Square Tavern at a fraction of Bistro L'Aromate's prices, with the best Gin & Tonic anywhere. The antique bathrooms plus the funky 20's decor are by themselves worth the visit!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
LSico2004, General Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I was quite taken back by your unfortunate experiences during your visit. We strongly believe in customer satisfaction and most importantly in informing our guests of all our services and amenities. We strive on making your stay feel like your own home and not like a commercial outlet store and this is the reason why we place a bottle of wine with glasses, tray and bottle opener. (Similar to your own kitchen counter) To ensure that the guests don’t assume that it is complimentary we place a “Treat and Bar” menu beside the tray so that our guests can choose from our multiple selections of quality snacks and beverages.
I was also sad to hear that our Asian pears were mistaken for apples. I will be taking the necessary steps to ensure that my guests are better informed on this matter. They are much sweeter and much more consistent seasonally.
I have taken some time to ensure that all websites eliminate information that is not valid, I have not found any that has described our dipping pool as a roof top pool but I continue my search and will take the necessary steps to ensure that this is corrected. Unfortunately because of our downtown location we have parking lots all over. We tried to create a tropical intimate area for guests in an urban setting with a limited amount of space,
We do have a certain control on the air conditioners and this is because we must follow our Green Key polices to protect our planet and save energy. Our minimum is programmed to be 20 degrees Celsius. The digital thermostat can sometimes be confusing as indicates the present temperature and beside in smaller fonts will indicate your setting.
I hope you can give us a second chance now that certain issues have been clarified. Please let us know upon your next visit so that we can have someone assist you with any your previous issues.

Yours in Hospitality

Luigi Sicoli
Gatineau
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice. Really love the location - steps away from shopping on St. Catherine as well as trendy restaurants. Not far from le Vieux Port - quite walkable or a short taxi/bike ride away. Rooms are clean, well designed, bathrooms are fantastic. Beds are cozy, linens are of excellent quality.

I would avoid the breakfast offered at the hotel - quite expensive. I would recommend instead taking a short walk to the breakfast restaurant "Universel" up on Peel. The menu is fantastic. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/67/1546826/restaurant/Golden-Square-Mile/Universel-Montreal

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple