“Ask for the 14th floor”

Comfort Suites Downtown
Ranked #71 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I've been there twice and I will go back. It's not very expensive and you're in the middle of Downtown Montreal, walking distance to the Bell Centre and shopping on Ste-Catherine's Street. And if you want to go out to a bar, the only problem is trying to pick one, there are so many in the immediate surroundings.
The rooms are clean and modern. They're original and somewhat fancy. Good Fen-Shui, I told my hubby. We picked one, twice, with a King size bed. There was a sofa, flat screen TV, fridge and coffeemaker. We asked the maid for packages of real coffee, not the non-decafinated kind, and she was gracious enough to give us what we asked for, plus real cups of milk instead of coffeemate. Local phone calls are free and internet also even though there is a weird kind of timer that starts when you use it. We choose the 14th floor because of the view of beautiful Downtown Montreal since there are balconies for every room. The last time we went there, we were facing Crescent Street, and we were happy to be on the 14th floor because the sounds coming from the people below on the street after last call must have been really bothersome for someone staying on lower floors. We were lucky that no one on our floor partied past 11 pm. But we could hear, on the balconies lower, that some people were there to party all night. Glad they weren't on our floor.
The only thing I did not like was, when we were leaving, there was blood on the elevator door. When I told the reception, she told me that someone had cut themselves as if I was curious to find out what had happened. I just wanted them to clean it up before other guests saw that. Pretty gross!
But except for that last bit, I really like the place, and cheap for Downtown Montreal.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Nouish

Reviewed 27 February 2012

So to start things off, right when we checked into the hotel. the staff did not sound too welcoming as we checked in at 1am and our check in was supposed to be at 3pm. I have no clue why it matters when we check in as we had already paid but nonetheless that was nothing compared to what was to come. The rooms were clean and had a 32 inch flat screen LG tv. The remote however did not work and when we told front desk about the problem they claimed they had no batteries.
We just stayed the first night inside our hotel drinking a couple of beers. The next night everything was fine. We had no issue with the hotel. Then on our last night of stay at the hotel which was a Friday night. We noticed that there was a strange looking dude standing outside our room with a black toque on. He looked rather intoxicated and we thought he was with the people next door which later turned out not to be true. He told us he was looking for a guy named John and when we told him there was no John in this room he just smiled. About
10mins later as we were leaving to go to the bar he was still outside our room which was definitely a little sketched but again we thought he was with our neighbours as we had seen him talking to them earlier. We left at 11:30pm, and came back early at 1:30am as one of my bud wanted to get money to go to the casino. We found out that our room had been robbed. I lost my laptop along with my DNG Prescription glasses which I had paid over 300$ for! My friend lost his old itouch along with 200$ cash as he had foolishly left his money on the table. The laptop was about 2 years old and probably worth around 400$ but it was not the fact that I lost the laptop but the fact that I had important information in there.
Before leaving our room we had nothing to drink and chose to rather drink that night out at the bar making us all sober when we left the room. We had made sure we locked the front door when we left as we had a weird gut feeling about the sketchy individual. We also locked our back balcony door as it is rather easy to hop from one balcony to the other (like a half metre apart).

We immediately informed the front desk about what had happened, and he told us that there was no reason to call the police and that the next morning the manager will be in at 10am sharp, and we may be able to get the video footage of who got into our room and go from there. Foolishly we agreed to that and the next morning me and my friend went at 10am sharp to speak to the "manager". When we went there was someone new working and he told us that the manager will not be in till monday! But our check out date was Saturday morning. The man in the front desk the day earlier had lied to us about the manager coming in for Saturday. I then quickly called the Montreal Police who said they will come asap. They came within 10mins but we did not know as the receptionist had told the police that we were staying in a different room. The police had knocked on an empty room to file the report and just as the police got into his car I had asked him if he had come to the hotel regarding a robbery. He said yes and asked why we had not opened our room! I could not believe that the front desk man had lied to the police about our room number so we do not file a police report. But then again the front desk guy may have just made a "mistake".

So at the end of all this I finally submitted a police report regarding the robbery and the police
informed us that they will check the camera Monday when the manager is back and give me a call when I am back in Toronto.

And as if things were not bad enough they got worse. We had prepaid a $50 deposit when we first came to the hotel in the case that we damage anything. We used a prepaid MasterCard to pay. As we were leaving the front desk man took the prepaid card and stated that he had reimbursed our deposit. He gave us a receipt with it and told us that card balance is back to $50. We did not check the receipt and when we went to pump some gas with the money the balance cashier stated the card balance was 0. We called MasterCard to double check the balance and indeed it was 0.

This hotel is owned by what I believe thieves. We even have a doubt that we may have been set up by the hotel staff for the robbery. However, I hate to make accusations but all the evidence makes this hotel look bad! I am probably never going to receive any of my goods back and our report will probably end up in the recycling bin.
The only good about this hotel was its location and that it was clean (just the rooms and lobby)
Apart from that , stay away from this hotel!

ps. I have stayed at many hotels/inns before and this has been my worst experience by far! not only because I got robbed but because it seemed as though the hotel staff did not give a dam about it!

Room Tip: Dont ever bring valuable goods when you come to this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank Annoj S
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I was unhappily awoken at 6AM the morning of my stay by the pounding of giant metal rods into the ground at the construction site outside of my window. :( Not cool. I would suggest not staying here for the next couple of months at least until that construction is finished unless you plan on getting up at 6AM anyway. Otherwise, the room was excellent, internet was reliable. Did have a strange little metal door in the wall under the sink in the bathroom that was open and appeared to be some sort of cavity in the wall. Kind of odd and it didn't lock closed at all. Not sure what it's purpose was.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed here for a one night layover coming back from a tropical vacation, loved it! The location was excellent, very close to pubs and shopping on St. Catherine. The beds were super comfortable and staff were really friendly. I would definitly stay here next time I come to Montreal.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MonikaHonika
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Stayed here Jan. 2012 for business, rooms are remodeled and decent. Can get city view and balcony per request or if AARP over 65. Total AARP rate per night $89.10, or $105.60 with all taxes, a decent value, internet worked well. No parking, it cost $15/night. Lobby was plain, had PC, but no breakfast, coffee only.

Room Tip: Ask for city view, stay high up, or if AARP you get city view for the same price
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business