“New kid in town”
Review of Elena

Elena
Ranked #1,534 of 6,172 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighbourhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Neighbourhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I am not a regular at Nora grey but I have visited the establishment on several occasions so I was happy to learn that they opened a new restaurant focusing on pasta and pizza. I was really excited to try Elena. It is located on Notre-Dame Street near Saint-Henri but is removed from the commotion of the usual hot spots. At the edge of what is known as Côte Saint-Paul, West of Saint-Rémy Street., the building is nondescript and could be easily missed if it was not for the address. Inside, the decor is spartan but very actual. Lot of emphasis on pure white with deep turquoise and yellow accents. Very well done. The crowd is mixed, dominated by hipsters.

We share appetizers: suppli al telefono and meatballs. The former are rice croquettes that are breaded and stuffed with a cheese surprise. They are airy ans delicious. Not at all heavy like others I have sampled. The latter are served in a thick tomato sauce that clings to the perfectly formed balls sprinkled with fresh herbs

The wine list is extensive and contains several exclusive choices. The staff was very helpful in helping me choose a wine that had exactly the characteristics that I was looking for. Only comment, the list could benefit from a few more choices around the $50-$60 range. The prices climb rather fast.

For the main course we shared the Spaghetti Verde and the Fun-Guy pizza. The green pasta was fresh, al dente and very flavorful, accompanied by shrimp and pork cheek. Really lovely. The pizza, thin and not too crispy was topped with fresh mushrooms, celeriac and taleggio bianca style. The combination was right on.

We really enjoyed our evening. The staff was kind and helpful. The food was delicious and the ambiance was really inviting. I would definitely recommend Elena for a casual dinner, away from the hustle and bustle of Saint-Henri proper

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

This new place is easy to miss with little signage but it certainly did not prevent the restaurant to be full.

Young cool staff are efficient but too busy to get engaged with their customers.

Short menu with classic Italian fare. Nothing elaborate but dishes are well done. Arancini balls were the highlight.

Pizzas were excellent albeit a bit burnt in spots.

Noisy but chilled ambience.

A welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

If you are in Montreal for a few days try to find time to go to Elena. Located in St. Henri a former working class district this new restaurant opened two months ago. A beautiful room, which manages to be modern but warm, a young attentive wait staff and a small but focused menu. Elena offers wood-fired pizzas, handmade pasta, tasty starters and two or three meat centric entrees. If you are feeling adventurous try the rabbit - which somehow seemed inappropriate at Easter but nonetheless was delicious.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

I give a 3* because the food was good but the overall experience kind of weird.
I had made a reservation for the bar seats, when we entered in the restaurant the hostess told us thst we have 2 hours max. I ask her why, I have a reservation then? She said that it's like, that they want as much people to use the seats. We were kind of wondering how she could know how much I am ready to spend to be there... they could have make money with us.
So then we wanted to try a specific kind of wine, and ask for suggestion, the bartender - let say like that I am not sure he is a sommelier, gave us one choice. We trust him, and then we wait...we order our food...he came back to us saying there's no more of the bottle he suggested, ok, then another suggestion... Finally the food arrived before the wine, the portions were small. Overall, the wine was good, the food too, but doesn't it worth the price? I am not sure.
The staff seemed having some issues managing the salle.
I'm glad that I have tried it, I will probably give it another chance since one of my friend had a reaaaaally good experience there. Let's hope it was just bad timing.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Limited menu based on Italian appetizers, pasta, pizza and very tasty sides and salads. Excellent staff energy and helpfulness. I suggest you reserve, and if not, try a seat at the bar- very user-friendly. Fun creative out-of-the-way spot.