“Great Food!”

Portico Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Portico Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #517 of 8,648 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 51
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Victoria Street
Description: Step into a world of luxurious decor, gourmet cuisine, and welcoming service at Portico -- a tantalizing downtown Toronto restaurant. Lose yourself in a brilliant atmosphere of wood finishings, bronze mirrors, and plush furniture. Join us on a global culinary journey -- an enticing and intriguing fusion menu showcasing elements of Italian fare. All our offerings are freshly prepared daily, reflecting the season"s bounty. Whether you seek a power lunch, or a superb dining experience, this great downtown Toronto restaurant will delight and inspire you.
Toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food!”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Seafood Risotto is amazing! Besides this, there is a great ambiance at this restaurant. During TIFF, I've seen many stars frequent here.

Visited April 2012
PORTICOmngr, Manager at Portico Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Hazel A,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful comment!! I love the seafood risotto too, it's actually my favourite dish!! My team and I hope to see you again, until then if I can be of any assistance to you- please do not hesitate to ask. Sincerely, Katerina Lagoudakis -Food and Beverage Manager at Cambridge Suites Hotel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Good enough”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

had the buffet breakfast which was varied and tastey but a bit pricey

Visited April 2012
Dear Nancy M,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our breakfast buffet and we truly appreciate your feedback on our prices. We are excited to announce that we have made some recent changes to our breakfast buffet where our culinary and service team have exceeded themselves. We look forward to seeing you again. If I can be of any assistance to you please do not hesitate to ask- Sincerely, Katerina Lagoudakis Food and Beverage Manager at Cambridge Suites Hotel.
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We ate at the Portico Restaurant in the Cambridge Suites Hotel last week. The chef Carl MacNeil's dinner entree's were mouth-watering and all served by the friendliest, most efficient staff.
What a winning combination, and the decor and lighting was very tasteful also. We are planning our next visit as it was so convenient to the business area.

Visited March 2012
PORTICOmngr, Manager at Portico Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Theresa M,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of Portico Restaurant & our chef’s choices of his menu!! Our team is delighted to hear how they enhanced your evening with great service and great food! We look forward to having you and your guests dine with us again! If I can be of any assistance to you please do not hesitate to ask. Sincerely, Katerina Lagoudakis – Food and Beverage Manager at Cambridge Suites Hotel Toronto
Thunder Bay, ON
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I've always thought that hotel restaurants banked on a captive audience and were not the best choice. We came in late one night and didn't want to venture out so we tried Portico which is in the Cambridge Suites on Richmond.
What a pleasant surprise.
We had the Land and Sea and the Shrimp Risotto.
Both dishes were worth ooohing and ahhhing over and the seafood for cooked just right.
Service was attentive and gracious.

• Visited March 2012
PORTICOmngr, Manager at Portico Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Thompson119,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your dining experience. I am very happy to hear that we pleasantly surprised you in Portico Restaurant and that your meal was cooked to your liking! Our chef and his team will be thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations! If I can ever be of service to you, please do not hesitate to ask. Sincerely, Katerina Lagoudakis – Food and Beverage Manager at Cambridge Suites Hotel Toronto
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful Winterlicious 2012 experience”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I went to this restaurant for Winterlicious 2012 and was thoroughly surprised by what a deal everything was. If you're unaware about Winterlicious, it's basically a prix-fixe event held across Toronto, where certain restaurants offer a full course meal. My friends and I went to Portico for $20 lunch and still now, in late March 2012, the best $20 I have ever spent. We also added a wine bottle because my friend was coming out-of-town, so it was a special occasion for us. Our hosts were: Cheryl, Mary and Rene.

My three course meal included: [Appetizer] Crab and avocado, roasted red pepper, garlic shrimp, seedlings, ginger carrot vinaigrette; [Main] Wild mushroom, asparagus and brie Risotto, parmesan cheese; [Dessert] Black pepper and rum panna cotta, mango chili sauce, fresh fruit salsa.

Oh man, this was the first restaurant I ever been to, where I actually wish we could just go back in and try the menu again but pick different things, literally reliving each memory of taste I ate. Ridiculously amazing. For the longest while, I couldn't decide which part of the meal was my favourite. All three parts were that good!

The garlic shrimp was perfectly cooked (not too overly cooked, not too raw), and the crab/avocado combination was just flavourful and it felt like the perfect seafood explosion. Just enough of everything, where the avocado wasn't too strong to overcome the crab flavour. Admittedly, I'm not a rice fan, but I decided to risk it because I love mushroom, I love cheese, and I like asparagus, but omfg, the risotto had so much mushroom flavour. The rice was melting in my mouth too! How is that even possible?! My parents always overcook the rice, or undercook the rice. The mushroom flavour was all over the rice, rich and creamy. But remember how I couldn't decide on which part was my favourite? The dessert was my favourite. I've never had black pepper and rum panna cotta before. My friends opted for safer chocolate-y options, but I risked a little, and man, thank God I did. The panna cotta was spicy (black pepper!) but creamy (reminded me of egg/milk pudding), and it just slid into my mouth. The mango jam part was the strangest thing, I've never tried anything like it before, but with the black pepper panna cotta, it was legit. Everything matched so well together!

The service was pretty awesome!! When my friend and I went in, they offered to take our coats, which was surprising, because we were only there for Winterlicious after all, and though we are annual/semi-annual @LiciousTO customers, no restaurant has ever offered to take our coats for us. So major points for that. And then the woman sat us down and offered us sparkling water, which had fresh fruit in the jar, which was weird, because as uncultured people, the water didn't taste much different, but then as the lunch went on, I -did- notice that the water tasted sparkly with fruit taste! Yay!

Anyway, all in all, fantastic experience, and I would definitely go there again. The atmosphere was very soothing too. Small restaurant, but delicious A+ food!

(P.S. I swear I am not paid by the restaurant. I'm just a very satisfied Winterlicious customer. My friends can vouch for me!!)

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Wendy K
Dear Wendy K,

Thank you for the amazing comment!! You should consider being a food writer! My servers and culinary team appreciated the amount of detail you put into describing our menu items!! Thank you so much for recognizing our teams’ efforts - I hope to see you and friends soon in Portico Restaurant! If I can ever be of service to you, please do not hesitate to ask. Sincerely, Katerina Lagoudakis – Food and Beverage Manager at Cambridge Suites Hotel Toronto