“Fabulous!”

Neighbourhood: East End
Cross street: Howland
Transit: street car 506 @ Degrassi stop
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Truly special! Probably the best fish dish we've ever had at a restaurant. Beef tartare was delicious. Great service and the chef came out to welcome us. One of our favorites in Toronto.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

I don't associate Gerrared Street with great french food so I was surprised when my friends suggested dinner le Batifole on Gerrard Street. Fortunately, I am always amenable to challenging my beliefs/biases/perceptions and I am very glad that I did last night. le Balifole is a quietly elegant, sparkling bistro steps away from my favourite shopping and eating area of Chinatown on Gerrard. The starter of "Profiteroles stuffed with a goat cheese, garlic and chives mousse" were light, fluffy and full of flavours that danced and frolicked with the baby greens dressed in a light vinagrette. John Dory fillets were covered in a mushroom cream sauce that allowed this subtlest of fish to show off its delicate taste. Three of us shared a Tarte Tatin and an Eclair a la pistache. The Tatin was caramelized to perfection and almost melted in the mouth. The pistachio cream in the Eclair played happily with the raspberry sauce to create a total experience of just enough sweetness and tartness. All my taste buds were completely delighted by their frolic at le Batifole and also loved meeting the Chef/owner, Pascal. I cannot wait to go back and eat the rest of the menu!

Reviewed 11 December 2017

The food was good, tasting authentically French. My one one complaint would be that the servings were quite small (especially for the price), we were still hungry after 3 courses. Service was good.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

It was my husband's 60th birthday and I knew he would enjoy French cuisine. The restaurant was pleasant and quaint enough but the contemporary (western?) music jarred against the French ambiance. We started with two glasses of luke warm red wine. Mine was probably open the night before so it was warm, oxidized and unpalatable. We ordered two appetizers (profiteroles with cheese and a salad with fois gras), not large portions for $18 each but we shared these. We waited another hour for the entree to arrive. I didn't mind the wait but was conscious of the fact that our meal arrived moments before the 8:00 seating and guests were arriving early. My husband ordered duck a l'orange which was fine but the small potato pancake was burned. I ordered the $28 mullet fish. The filet was probably the length of a 6" ruler. If you take into consideration that this thin narrow fish had a tail and a head, well, you can see how it might not be very filling. When I paid at the register I was asked how I enjoyed my meal. I told the gentleman that I was, quite frankly, still hungry. He told me he would see what he could do and disappeared to the back room for a few minutes. Before he left, I had told him that it was alright and that he needn't bother. He came back to tell me that the next time we returned to the restaurant we should say something and the restaurant might see what it could do. I thanked him and left. We stopped at Hero Burger on the way home and had dinner.

4  Thank familytrek
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We were a group of 6 that at at this lovely French restaurant last night and were surprised and delighted but it’s quaint ambiance (the decor is great) and the delicious food. I had the John Dory (light white fish) which was heavenly. Others at the table had the beef tartar, escargot, Ribeye and Fish stew. Everyone raved about their meal. The red wine was also on point but the best part was dessert! There are a so many options it was hard to chose from. Also, a really nice touch is that the chef comes to every table to chat with you in a genuine way. I’m so glad this is place is in our ‘hood- I’ll definitely return and will recommend.