“Downtown Toronto on a budget”

Isabella Hotel and Suites
Ranked #108 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Mississauga, Canada
“Downtown Toronto on a budget”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We received this hotel through booking on Hotwire. We were looking for something inexpensive as we only needed a place to stay downtown after an office holiday party.

The Isabella is a bare-bones hotel, but gets the job done. The rooms are small and dated, but comfortable for the night.

My biggest compliant about the hotel was that you could hear a lot of noise from the hallway at wee hours of the morning. Not sure if this was just bad luck that we were stuck beside a partying crew, or if there just isn't great sound insulation. I guess for the price it is going to attract those looking for a place to crash after a night on the town.

Either way, for what we paid it served it's purpose. It was clean and staff were friendly. Location was very good as well, a little east of the main downtown tourist area but still walkable/short cab from most core areas.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CardioCanadian
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We booked a three night stay through hotwire for $70/night and even though we got a bargain price I still wouldn't stay here again! It was supposed to be in a "downtown" location, when in actual fact it was at least a 30 minute walk to Dundas & Yonge. It is however close to the subway, so you can get around that way.

There were no parking places left when we arrived, so we had to park just down the road at a public carpark for $12/24 hrs with a $20 deposit, which we later found out is $3 cheaper than the hotel charges anyway. The lobby and bar area were clean and inviting, which is more than can be said for the guy on the desk when we checked in. The lift is small and broke down several times, so we were forced to endure the horrible "cooked oil" smell coming from the basement restaurant that lingers permanently on the stairs.

The room was small and dark. The walls and carpet were stained and someone had punched a hole in the wall. On the upside at least the bed sheets were clean and bed bug free as far as we were aware. Wired internet connection in the room, but we found that we also picked up the lobby wireless connection, though this was very unreliable (even when sat in the lobby itself). The bathroom was tiny. The door almost touched the sink when it was open so in order to use any of the facilities you had to go in and then close the door behind you, which was awkward and would have been impossible for a larger person. Breakfast was minimal - choice of cereals, toast, muffins & fresh fruit with orange juice & coffee. Then the icing on the cake, we came back late one afternoon to get ready to go out for the evening, to find a mouse in our room! We complained to a female receptionist who was very apologetic, but not surprised (so obviously this was not a one off), they offered to compensate us a night and said they would send someone up to "chase the mouse out". No offer to change rooms and in the end no one came up while we were there, but as it happened the mouse ran out of his own accord - he obviously didn't want to spend another night in the room either!!!
So while it's cheap the Isabella is far from cheerful and if you can afford to pay a little extra I'd find a hotel either in Chinatown or closer to the Dundas & Yonge area with free parking, because what extra you spend on the hotel you'll save on parking and subway fares etc.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Emma W
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I am surprised by the negative reviews. My room (605) was clean and bedbug free. The shower room was more than adequate, with a large shower with a window, which was nice. The double bed (I paid for a single) was comfortable, and the bed and bath linen was changed daily. There was no minibar, but a small fridge was avaiable, which was very handy. The windows didn't open, but the air conditioning worked well. The room was quiet and comfortable.
The room had a chest of drawers but no closet, just a clothes rail.
Not all TV channels were available.
The free ethernet worked well for the first 7 days of my stay, but there were problems the last day when a new access code had to be entered. The front desk said I had to call Bell DataValet customer service, which was effective, but long.
Having free local calls is a plus.
The location is fine, just a few minutes from Sherbourne subway station, and on a major bus line on Sherbourne. My meetings were downtown, and I had a nice 20-min walk each day to get there.
Breakfast was adequate, with cold cereals, muffins, scones, etc. You could eat at the lobby bar or the adjoining tables, or in the seating area sofas.
My stay was fine, but I was paying about half the listed price. The listed price is high for the level of quality.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank marcparis60
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I got a deal through hotwire for three nights in this hotel during August. I stayed in 17 hotels/cheap motels during a trip across Canada and this was by far the worst. When we first got to the room it had potential. A fridge, nice shower and fair a/c.

The problem is that the rooms are not cleaned properly and my bed had bugs. Lots of them!!
I spent the night trying to kill them. I hardly slept and checked out straight away in the morning and booked another hotel. I did eventually manage to get a refund, but it ruined an entire day of my holiday.

Bed bugs impact all hotels to some degree but it would appear that they are not prepared to deal with the problem. Had it not been for the bugs and the attitude of the staff the hotel has a lot of potential, particularly the location.

While you may get a good room as noted in some of the reviews, you are equally likely to a room like the one I did. I would give it a miss

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank matty101010
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We had booked this hotel through hotwire for 4 nights at $95/night (approx), mainly because it was the cheapest option. On the trip down we read the reviews on Trip Advisor, started to panic and make plans to try and get out of our deal. In the end decided to stay at least one night in the supposed bed-bug infested slum of a hotel that the reviews on Trip Advisor told us to expect, and were pleasantly surprised that it was nothing like that.

The staff at the front desk were helpful, the room was clean and quiet and when we asked for extra pillows we got them in short order. They did take a $50 deposit from us when we checked in, but they never charged my credit card for it. For a hotel, we slept well every night. We stayed on the seventh floor and it was small but we weren't there to spend time in a hotel room watching TV. The bathroom was very small. When I sat on the toilet, the sink was right in my face. Perhaps this hotel is not a good option for larger people.

In terms of location, it was pretty good: we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and explore the neighbourhoods along the way. The continental breakfast was alright, too: we're not coffee drinkers, but the fruit was fresh and the muffins didn't taste too bad. We grabbed some food there every morning.

Overall, a very pleasant experience and good value for the money we paid.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple