“WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Ranked #3 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We'd never been there but had heard good things about it. So we thought we'd spend three nights there to celebrate my 'very big number' birthday.

On Thursday, April 12 we made our way over to the Drake Hotel at 1150 Queen Street West in Toronto at about 8:30 in the evening. And boy.....am I ever glad we did! Nothing prepared us for the absolutely fantastic place that is the Drake Hotel.

From the moment we walked in it was perfect. We were greeted so wonderfully by Stephanie at the front desk. What a sweetie. No sooner had we asked for a suggestion our two for local restaurants then she had a complete list, hand-written, for us with the names, phone numbers and info about each place. Talk about personal service!

Things just kept getting better and better. We decided to actually stay at the Drake for dinner and wow.....what an amazing dining room they have. We were served by yet another warm and wonderful Drake employee, Hailey, who made our first meal there a totally satisfying and fun experience. She was so friendly and helpful. And she had a lovely smile to boot!

The next morning we met two more 'Drakinans' who raised the employee bar even higher. We met hotel manager Jonathan and Drake curator, Mia. They took us on a tour of the hotel and told us everything there is to know about the hotel's history and the stories behind all of the fantastic artwork that graces so many of the hotel's spaces. Mia is such an 'artist at heart'. She has a superb eye for detail and colour and made our art-gazing experience so much richer than it would have been had we done it without her. And Jonathan? What a warm, caring, fun guy! The two of them made a super team of tour guides and we loved all that we saw and heard about the Drake.

We came in contact with several other people worth mentioning- Craig, another warm and wonderful 'front desk' guy. He helped us with answers to questions and just by being so attentive to everything.

At the little front-door kiosk we met and fell in love with Laura and Matthew. These two 'cuties' both hail fromScotland and just listening to them talk made us happy. They are both so friendly and helpful. Laura taught me a few things about my digital camera that I had no idea about. She even offered to bring her battery charger in the next day in case I needed it. Now that's service!!!

And Perry (sorry if that's not how you spell it) was our server in the Lounge on our last night. She was as warm and bubbly as all of the others at the Drake.

From the wonderful ambiance of the hotel to the incredible service to the out-of-this-world food (you MUST have the Lobster nachos....to die for!!!), the Drake is the only place we want to go in Toronto to have so many fantastic experiences surrounded by so, so many fantastic people.

We absolutely can't wait to go back and have decided to make The Drake our 'staycation destination' of choice for our wedding anniversary in June. Only 11 more weeks to go!!!!!

Thank you, Drake Hotel, for the most wonderful weekend ever!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarynToronto S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Great ambiance to indulge ourselves with fine food, fine films for a weekend in Toronto. This was our third stay at the happening Drake and I always feel more youthful and 'special' having stayed in adequate studio room and spacious suite room.
When we return to the hotel on the Saturday night, after a day of movie going, past the lineup and security to proudly say " we are residing here". We have a great dinner in the dining room with our children on Friday night and start each of the two days with a wonderful tasting brunch in the cafe. We have never been disappointed.
Thanks to the Drake and their Staff for making it a unique experience for us.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 21 March 2012

This was my second stay in Toronto, so wanted to see a different side to the City than the financial district. Despite its overly fussy website, the Drake seemed to hit the spot, though when I got there my first impressions were if the place was trying too hard to be hip and was it going to be completely pretentious. After 3 days, I concluded that it was not. It is a great alternative to the usual bland hotel rooms. But you have to know a few points:

Queen St West is a very mixed area full of deli's, boutiques, coffee houses, tattoo parlours, galleries and bike shops. A super mix that reminded me of Notting Hill, London (pre the movie). The hotel is located some way from the financial district, so if you have an early morning meeting there, then forget it. For those who don't, the street cars run up and down all day (and night) and it takes about 25 mins to get to the financial district. The road is noisy at night and (despite the double glazing) I would not want to be located at the front of the hotel. I guess many people staying here won't be coming back until late anyway.

The rooms are small, but the space has been used creatively and are well appointed. The free wireless and Ipod docking station were particularly great, as was the shower. However this is simply glazed and some might prefer a greater degree of privacy. Some basics were missed - no plug and no coffee/tea making facilities were, IMO, an oversight.

The breakfast cafe was super and the cuisine delivered to the other dining areas was well executed, if a touch small in choice. Great atmosphere in the bars with continual evening entertainment provided to the local hipsters. A hotel is only as good as its service and here the staff were young, but all very polite, charming and happily dealt with my requests. The associated gym, located 5 mins away, was top notch (though no pool).

For the more adventurous, the Drake is a must stay. However watch out for the noise from the main road. Would I stay again - most definitely, but only if I could get the room I wanted.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ranger2705
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2012

This is nicest boutique hotel I have stayed at in a long time. Friendly, funky, well-designed home from home, great food and incredibly nice staff (Suzie, Craig, Pam etc).
It has a club and a bar but my room was not at all noisy and I wanted to stay a lot longer than my four days. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
USA
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and I were in Toronto for work, scheduled to stay at a large downtown hotel when I came across the reviews for the Drake on Tripadvisor. We decided this place sounded a lot more interesting, so we switched our reservations over, and I'm very happy we did.

Location is incredibly convenient - West Queen West is a straight shot by streetcar to anywhere you'd need to be, and there are so many great restaurants and shops nearby, we found ourselves enjoying a 3-4 km walk between conference and hotel just because we wanted to stop in at so many places. The hotel is right across from a public parking lot, where we easily prepaid for the whole stay's worth of parking, no worries at all.

The hotel itself is easy to find and just lovely - modern design, a great gift shop of quirky presents, fantastic bath products, and an all-around friendly and cool atmosphere that never crossed into hipper-than-thou territory.

I had been a little worried about noise since it was St Patricks Day weekend and I had to be up early every day, but the sounds of the restaurant faded as soon as we walked into the room hall, and only one or two short instances of chatter were all we ever heard or saw of other guests or pedestrians, even though we were just on the 2nd floor. (Room 205 was perfect.)

One aside: I saw several reviews here mentioned the manager by name, and how fantastic he was. I found this a little surprising, since how many places that aren't b&b do you even meet the manager? However, we had a minor issue with our room (pipe leaking), and not only did Jonathan find us for a personal chat about it with options, he was so incredibly nice and helpful about it that I could immediately see why people remember his name and rave about him.

I would absolutely stay here again. I would not recommend the place to older guests uncomfortable with a semi-club atmosphere in the evenings, or those with kids who need space or amenities of chain hotels, but thumbs up to couples, close friends (the glass showers are awesome but there is no mystery to be had), and those passing through wanting something beyond a cookie cutter room!

• Stayed March 2012