“Omg yum”

Ranked #57 of 8,941 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Located in the Distillery District, El Catrin is an authentic Mexican eatery with a lively vibe and fun staff. With a stunning hand painted 20'x60' mural and one of the best patios and cocktails lists in the city, El Catrin is sure to be a hit.
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

I think I'll remember Toronto best for the amazing food we have had here... but this one was our favourite!

Great staff, beautiful location. Sat outside having dinner, sipping mojitos, delicious tapas style food to share ( if you want to!)

Perfect romantic evening with my fiancé , yummy food, fab drinks and great attentive staff :-) wish we lived closer ..

Rik O, Manager at El Catrin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2017

It's awesome to know we were your favourite, Sam -- that's some high praise! From the mojitos down to the small plates we offer, I'm glad you love our restaurant. Here's hoping you'll visit us again the next time you're in Toronto!

Cheers,

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Had a fab meal with a business contact who was visiting Toronto for the first time. The decor and atmosphere is really impressive so it created a great and memorable impression. Margaritas were tasty and our server recommended some good vegetarian/pescatarian dishes for my colleague. We had the trio of fish ceviche and some veggie tacos, guac and chips and some other tasty little corn dishes. It was an easy place to sit and chat whilst enjoying some delicious food. Will certainly go back as there looked like there was loads of great things on the menu.

Rik O, Manager at El Catrin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2017

We're all about showing our guests a good time, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed everything we have to offer. There's nothing quite like some ceviche, tasty tacos, and margaritas in a lively atmosphere! Looking forward to having you back and hearing your thoughts on some of our other menu offerings. Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

El Catrin's patio is easily one of the city's best patios for its large size, unique lighting and overall ambiance.

Each of our three visits confirmed how popular this restaurant is....always a weekend waiting line...20-60min.

Long alley way where Distillery District patrons line up is cleverly topped with a network of many small, perforated lanterns...beautiful at night.

Restaurant is overall disappointing after experiencing both patio and waiting line...seems narrow, mismatched, and average.....except for bar wall and opposite wall mural which are both unique.

Staff are attentive and genuinely friendly.

My 3 shrimp tacos ($16) were underwhelming....average taste...poor colour and texture.

Menu options are really about tasting only.

El Catrin lager is tasty.

Lots of mixologists behind the bar shaking up fancy drinks.

Reservations are not always accepted, especially for busy nights, I was told.

Patio is heated. That's why we come.

Rik O, Manager at El Catrin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2017

While I'm glad there are aspects of our restaurant you enjoy, I'm disappointed to know each visit has generally left something to be desired. It's true we get busy around here, but we should always be able to offer the best service possible. As for our food, I'm surprised to hear the shrimp tacos were underwhelming. It's our goal to make sure our guests leave happy, so don't hesitate to let a server know if something isn't to your liking. Also, we're always happy to make recommendations -- we love helping out! Here's hoping we'll get a chance to fully impress you sometime soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

My first experience here was so good that I came back, and happy I did. Great service, great atmosphere and the food is fantastic. It's a bit pricey, but overall I am happier spending on an experience like this rather than a fine dining place with no atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Rik O, Manager at El Catrin, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2017

It's always our goal to provide great food and excellent service, so it's nice to see you enjoyed your first two visits. There are plenty more great experiences where that came from, so we hope to see you back again soon!

Cheers,

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

Food is reminiscent of Mexican street food.., loud rap music playing... Staff, bartenders and servers are very young , as is the crowd. The food is good but I think overpriced for what it is.

Rik O, Manager at El Catrin, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

It's disappointing to know we couldn't show you the five-star experience you deserve, Suzy. We use nothing but the best ingredients in everything we serve, and it's always our goal for that to shine. We hope you'll consider giving us another chance sometime, because I know we can do so much better.