“Fantastic tapas and cocktails”
Review of Bar Isabel

Bar Isabel
Ranked #135 of 8,772 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Reviewed 7 September 2015 via mobile

Packed restaurant. We enjoyed the beef tartare with avocado, vegan no name salad made with sprouts, pomegranate seeds and lime juice, chimcirron peppers, and a garbanzo bean based tapas. Great halibut ceviche and cuttlefish with heirloom tomatoes (see picture) as well as a potato tapas. Also really enjoyed the dessert that was a fried salted caramel and cream type concoction and a custard like dessert with a sherry sauce on top. Lots of await staff to keep glasses full and new dishes arriving in a timely manner.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 September 2015

Wonderful Spanish food, a million mile from Spain. The octopus is fantastic with atmosphere to match.

1  Thank Simon W
Reviewed 4 September 2015 via mobile

I'm visiting my daughter in Toronto this week. She told me about this place and about how many rave reviews it's had...blah, blah, blah. She made a reservation several weeks ago in anticipation of my visit. Apparently it's a place you don't just drop in on because you're walking by. So...I was expecting A LOT. What I found was an extremely noisy environment. There is no way you can have a conversation without shouting at the person you're with. Frankly I was wondering how many of the employees have suffered hearing loss...it could definitely be a workplace hazard. The food was ok...just ok. Very small portions and very over-priced. I guess you're supposed to feel like you're paying for the atmosphere or something. I dunno. Our 4 appetizer-sized dishes and ONE glass of wine came to $75+. I can't say it was a waste of money because I got an opportunity to share a meal with my daughter but I will never go back just to save my hearing if nothing else. Mind you, the waiter we had was a nice young man who was helpful with menu suggestions. I gave him a good tip partly because I felt a little sorry for him having to work in such an inhospitable place. My last word: save your money. There many other much worthier places to dine in Toronto. Actually, you don't have to walk very far in either direction of Bar Isabel to find them.

1  Thank SunnyCalGirl
Reviewed 22 August 2015 via mobile

Bar Isabel is my favourite restaurant for dinner in Toronto. I come for the delicious Spanish themed food offerings. I return for the beautiful room with wood paneling, plaster, art nouveau flourishes and sexy sexy lighting.

The drink offerings compliment the food. Interesting and delicious cocktails, great wine and beer options. Old world charm with new world execution. My top choice for a great dinner out. For a celebration or weeknight supper. The menu allows for a variety of experiences so I find myself dining here often.

Reviewed 21 August 2015

I was here on Monday night with a local business colleague who really knows the dining scene in Toronto. I was extremely impressed with our meal at Bar Isabel. It's basically tapas style, with a decent wine list. Instead of ordering specific items we got a fantastic assortment of food - 8 or 9 courses all together -- for $65 Canadian each. That includes the octopus, one of their signature dishes, which was superb. Service was very friendly and efficient as well.

I'm eager to come here again. One does need to reserve well in advance. The only negative is that the restaurant is VERY loud -- it's really not practical to have a quiet conversation here.