“Tasty paella, okay desserts and great customer service.”
Review of LaVinia Restaurant

LaVinia Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
LaVinia Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 9,388 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Etobicoke
Reviewed 29 August 2017

LaVinia is one of the few restaurants in Toronto offering authentic Spanish fare. My wife and I came here for our anniversary and I have been craving for a good Paella. The last restaurants we tried in New York, Sevilla was okay but did not fare enough to what I was used to. Having Basque friends who do catering, I became familiar on what to look out for in Spanish cuisine and since then have on the search for a great, tasty Paella.

LaVinia is cozy restaurant with wooden interiors and red-painted walls much like the Spanish flag. The staff was nice and quick to seat us. We were handed the menu and my wife and I ordered the sopa de ajo, paella valenciana and the fish of the day.

Since I do not eat pork, I requested if they can cook it in utensils that have not been with used with the said ingredient and they were very respectful. Fernando, the chef and owner, even came to assure me that it's nothing to worry about.

The first to come was the sopa de ajo and it was warm, creamy and not overwhelming in its garlic taste. The paella soon came after and after one bite, I was hooked. This was the paella that I had been looking for, perfectly cooked bomba rice, juicy and moist chicken and the hint of saffron. It was divine and felt like the first time I had an authentic homecooked paella years back. The fish of the day was surprisingly good. I mean after having Paella, my standards for flavour were now higher but its taste took me by surprise. It was perfectly cooked and the fish retained its moisture with a simple, clean taste and yet, good.

Last we had was the tartufo and it was okay but at this point, I was not complaining. I did not come here for desserts anyway. It was the paella that we came here for and finally found one close by.

We could not finish the large portions, so we ended up bringing them home to my kids. As soon as we got home, my son smelled the paella and next thing I knew, it was cleaned off and he was asking me when we could order from LaVinia again. We're definitely coming here again.

Thank you, Fernando and your staff, for making our anniversary a memorable one.

2  Thank Kenkhan

Reviewed 25 August 2017

What a party! Fernando and his team at La Vinia created a very special and memorable evening for us all. From the first glass of Cava, through delicious and varied tapas selections, and then, the specials of the day - we dined in true Spanish style. Fernando serves the freshest seafood, seasonal vegetables and mouthwatering chops - paellas too! The plates are attractively presented and the attentive wait staff describe each dish - almost with a reverence!. Wines are a specialty and the staff are knowledgeable - excellent pairings with the food on offer. The overall feel of the restaurant is one of friendliness, commitment to good service and the creation of fine food. Prior to our party, we worked with Fernando regarding the menu and did a sampling of wines considered for the event. He included a few surprises for us that made the evening "extra" special. Thank you
all!

1  Thank JoanneP50
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

My husband is Spanish and his mother cooked Spanish food all the time for us when she was alive. We have also been to Malaga Spain more than a few times and have come to know what is great Spanish food. If you haven't been to this restaurant, I'd highly recommend it. We ordered 4 tapas and shared a paella. It was all excellent. Service was great.

3  Thank rsc6011
Reviewed 12 August 2017

As a Spanish person I am very picky about tapas and especially paella. This restaurant has impressed me with the quality of its food and service. I really enjoyed and appreciated the chef/owner for taking his time to come between each dish you eat and making sure you are enjoying it. He also has a personal wine in his list which my fiancee and I really enjoyed. Been to this restaurant three times and will be going again very soon.

1  Thank Cocopuff1978
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Chef Garcia & Jamie made a great team, Jamie is friendly, knowledgeable about the food & wine they offer, and Chef Garcia worked passionately and efficiently in the kitchen.
We followed Jamie's recommendation with both food and wine, and everything come up delicious and at a good value price.
The bread was served with a savoury tapenade dip.
The chicken croquet was crispy outside and creamy inside.
The Piquillo pepper was stuffed with a silky mousse of cod and dressed with a fragrant saffron sauce.
The scallop was huge and grilled to perfection.
The paella and risotto were full of flavours and moist.
The place is not big but very cosy and gives you a feel of family.

1  Thank klkakmk