“Not Impressed with Service, OK Amenities”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #54 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Not Impressed with Service, OK Amenities”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I'm a solo business traveler staying in Toronto one night, and I expected this to be your normal business style hotel based on their professed dedications to amenities and service. The amenities are pretty standard, there's a decent fitness room, the bed is nice, the decor is modern. I wasn't impressed with the service.

Check-in was slow, since the woman at the front desk handled several calls before handling the folks waiting at the desk. That actually didn't bother me much, but in hindsight it might be part and parcel with a customer experience culture they have. No, the part that bothered me was when I took a long bath; the manager and someone from the front desk ended up knocking on my door to ask me to stop in a most condescending manner. I definitely was having a bath at 10:30pm-11pm after a long day of traveling. Their jacuzzi was as loud as jacuzzis usually are, so instead of running that, I ran the water-only but I had to re-run it two or three times since the plug was faulty and the water kept draining.

Apparently, even that was loud, and the folks next door called downstairs; I'm totally fine with them having done that, since sleep at a hotel is important to me, too. What upset me was how the manager spoke to me. He was very accusatory (saying I was "running the jacuzzi over and over for more than an hour"--not true, but thanks for asking my side of it), and let me know in no uncertain terms how rude I was being; all the while, the front desk lady with him stood there gawping at me in a bathrobe with an unkind expression and arms folded across her chest. I was so taken aback that I couldn't even think of anything to say to them in the moment; I just informed them that I was done now, I let them finish telling me what they thought of my behavior, and then--finally--I got to shut the door. Of course, I didn't bring up the plumbing issues, which, for them, is a missed opportunity for them to figure out whether there was actually a problem there.

I realize this is just one interaction, but I was very unimpressed. I've been at other, better hotels that would have handled this better. (Here are some suggestions: Start with a phone call. It's possible I didn't hear the phone call, so in that case, here's my recommended script: "I'm sorry to bother you but we've had complaints that the bath has been loud and we've received complaints that it's disturbing your neighbors. Is there anything about the room or plumbing we need to be aware of? If not, may we suggest refraining from using the bath/jacuzzi in that case?") But to just come at me so accusatorially right out of the gate, with no apologies, when I opened the door in a bathrobe having just clearly gotten out of the bath? For a hotel that prides itself on service and amenities, that experience was poor enough to overshadow anything else. Too bad.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank mkf52
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I opted for the urban room with free valley parking and $50 mall cash card and i was shocked how nice it was! Very stylish. I wish I payed $20 more for the nicest suite -- I can't imagine how nice that must be.

If I had to nit pick one thing, the tvs are a bit outdated... wasn't really at the hotel for the tv so no real complaints.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank dericksmith87
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Here's the deal: if you are looking for the heights of hip during a visit to Toronto, you are going to be disappointed with this place. But, if you are going as a business traveler and you're going to be there for a while, this place will beat the hell out of your typical Residence Inn.

I had a perfectly fine stay here -- I'd give it three and a half stars if I could. But it's a little incongruous that the place is going for a sleek, hip vibe, at the same time as it has these very practical stove tops and refrigerators in all the rooms. However, that said, it is actually quite nice to have access to a fridge, sink, wine glasses, wine opener, etc. during a stay. Beyond that, my room had a window that opened, a comfortable bed, and a full bath tub. It was clean, if a bit beat up. The walls are not especially sound proof, as I discovered on St Patrick's Day, when the noisy children in the room next to me were getting their pre-game on. Fortunately, they went out for the real revelry at a reasonable hour, before I had to get all curmudgeonly on them or on the desk.

And speaking of the desk, I had a perfectly good experience in terms of customer service, which I emphasize since many of the other reviewers did not. They were gracious when I arrived early, and had a room ready for me to check in. They put me on a high floor as I asked. Housekeeping was efficient and helpful, and I had a very good experience in the spa, with each of the people I interacted with. Sometimes I wonder if you don't get bad service when you give a bad attitude, but let me get back on topic here. The bartender at the Martini Bar was conversational and made good drinks, venturing off the menu and doing a creditable job when I described what I wanted. It's only too bad the bar always seemed so dead and empty, but then again, Sunday night might not exactly be prime martini time.

As a couple of final observations, this hotel is in a great location, it's moderately priced, and has some nice amenities, like the spa and fitness room. You'll get what you pay for here: a perfectly adequate stay at a decent hotel. If you want to height of hipness, or newness, you'll be disappointed, so go check in to the Gladstone or the Drake.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank supergirl_sf
Norfolk County, Ontario
Reviewed 19 March 2012 via mobile

I booked a room at the Pantages three months ago. Four days before my trip they called to let me know they don't have the type of room I need. I will not be staying here, now or ever. That is terrible customer service.

Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Lex81
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at the Pantages Hotel as we had a family event in town. It was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. The location is great, but that is about the only good thing I can say about it.

From check in to check out, it was far from the "boutique experience" that Pantages so proudly advertises.

The staff were completely indifferent to guest experience. I heard other people complaining as well, so it wasn't just us. At times, the staff were extremely rude. It was so bad and offensive that we complained to the Manager, who in turn offered us free parking. That was nice, but not enough to make me ever want to come back.

Our room was clean, but worn. The Pantages website raves of their luxurious jacuzzi tubs, but our jets were broken. Light bulbs were out. When I plugged my hair dryer into an outlet, it blew it up and broke it. All in all, definitely sub-par.

I will never stay at Pantages again and do not recommend anyone else stay there either.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple