“Mediocre Food, and...Rodents!”

Ranked #13 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Mediocre Food, and...Rodents!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I visited the resto-lounge of this boutique hotel last fall. To our shock and dismay, we spotted on more than one occasion throughout or meal – mice freely running about (along the exposed brick). Another neighbouring table spotted it as well. We were quite surprised, given the rave reviews we received about the establishment, and also given that the place had clearly been “painstakingly restored”. Definitely an unsettling moment after having enjoyed a meal – it was far from “exceptional dining experience”. We paid and left immediately after. I made sure to notify the bartender/busgirl on our way out. She seemed overly nonchalant about the matter, referencing the fact that it was an “old building”, and that being situated in Chinatown caused such a problem. I was more shocked by her reaction than seeing the actual rodents while consuming food. I've never stayed at the hotel, but I'm certainly uninterested in doing so after this experience.

I dined on pasta with chicken that tasted stale and had the consistency of rubber. Wouldn't go back again.

Our server was stellar though.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Jamal A, General Manager at Hotel Ocho, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
This is an unfortunate blemish on our page, and it's true. With our old building we had issues with pest control regardless of frequent visits from professionals and personal effort. But it was dealt with as efficiently as possible and we've been Orkin certified pest free since. So much has changed since your review including our chef. Come back and see!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel in December for a long weekend. We were pretty much the only ones there as it was quiet just before the New Year. The room was small, but completely updated, clean, and the amenities were all great. The location was perfect; far enough from the chaos of Queen street while being close enough to get there in under 2 minutes. The best part about this hotel, besides the hipster vibe, was the staff. One night it was waaay too cold to wander the streets, so we hung out at the bar (delicious cocktails by the way) with the staff all night. When we went to check out in the morning, the checkout was delayed so we were given Cafe Americanos on the house. Overall, great stay! We definitely will be staying again when we head back up to Toronto.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

If I could describe this hotel in one word, it would be 'cool'. The interior is full of exposed brick, original art and hardwood floors. It fits right in with the Queen West area. My boyfriend and I were upgraded to a king suite, which was beautiful. Large windows, king size bed and stunning bathroom. The service was excellent. Really friendly and attentive staff. At the end of the night when we came back to our rooms dead tired, the barman was kind enough to give us complimentary cokes. It was a small gesture, but it went a long way. It's all in the details. The only criticism that I have is that while I loved the open concept of our room, I wish this hadn't been extended to the toilet. Regardless, for me the service made up for this inconvenience and I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

This is a very small boutique hotel that's friendly and funky. They made me feel at home for a short stay and when I left my (computer) mouse behind, they cheerfully mailed it back to me, even though it was international mail. i've unfortunately left things behind at hotels before and they always "disappear." This is not some anonymous place -- the owners' passion shows through.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Leah H
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

I love this place. Hotel Ocho gave me exactly what I needed, an exquisitely quiet room in a funky boutique hotel -- along with the perfect balance of thoughtful attentiveness and personal space, without the faintest whiff of grasping servitude or fake corporate bonhomie.

When I called at midnight to say that my flight was delayed six hours, they knew exactly who I was and when I arrived exhausted at 6am I was given a warm sympathetic welcome and a late check-out without question. My room had bare brick walls, windows that opened, a thoughtful layout and a comfy bed.

When I crawled out of bed in the early afternoon, I was delighted to find that the cafe downstairs had excellent espresso, free wi-fi and and natural sun-light: just what I needed to jump start my day.

And finally, when I checked out, I was delighted to see that the price of my stay included no surprises - except that it was so reasonable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business