“A great place to spend the weekend with your sisters” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #35 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Ottawa
“A great place to spend the weekend with your sisters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I travelled to Toronto on Jan 20/12 to spend a weekend with my 3 sisters and cousin for a fun girls weekend. We were very happy with the location of the hotel, close to shopping (underground) with wonderful restaurants nearby. We received an upgraded room that included a sitting area that was perfect for our group. All calls to the concierge and for room service were handled immediately and we always had service with a smile. I would defintely return to this hotel for a future stay in Toronto and have no complaints about the hotel whatsover.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade, the worst that can happen is they say no!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Check in was quick, friendly and efficient. The room was spacious and clean - appeared to have been recently updated. I was in room 540 - it was very quiet except for the occasional humming from what I figured was the nearby elevator. The hotel is structured in an open square - so the rooms look into an exterior courtyard. Nice floor to ceiling windows across the room. The bathroom had black granite counters, Kohler faucets and wood accents. The bath/shower combo had a nice rainfall shower head, good water pressure and was spotless - tiles were actually gleaming! The room had a small bar fridge which was handy. There was a small cafe in the lobby that served Starbucks coffee and you could get a coffee "to go" for $2. I ordered room service for breakfast on this visit - and as I am allergic to certain fruit, I specified this on the menu, thinking I would be left with a banana...well to my great pleasure I was treated to a beautiful bowl of blueberries and strawberries along with my hot oatmeal. How wonderful. The service arrived in the time specified and my stay here was pretty much perfect. I checked out through the main desk as my breakfast charge did not appear on my invoice which was slid under the door in the morning. Check out was quick and very friendly. I was able to leave the hotel through an entrance in the main lobby that links directly with the TTC subway below. 6 short stops to Union Station. As a little sidebar - in one of the bedside tables, there was a very interesting little book that contained stories from Marriott employees. It was very interesting to learn of the beginnings of this company and how it expanded with a bit of insight from employees. Thank you Marriott Bloor Yorkville.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms are concierge.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Every week, I stay at a Marriott somewhere in North America (Gold Elite). This is my favorite in Toronto. Great location a half block from Bloor & Yonge, above the subway station (that has a shopping concourse) and next door to The Bay. The staff is courteous and helpful and I have nevered tired of the food in their quaint restaurant, Matisse.

• Stayed January 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

We've stayed here a few times, and the best part of this hotel is the location. Yonge and Bloor is arguably the main crossroads of Toronto and where the North/South and East/West subway intersects. A great starting point for walking and ease of Public transport.
I agree with the reviewer who questions the wisdom of charging for Internet. Time to change that.
Staff in the breakfast and bar area were very friendly. I still don't know why people opt for the breakfast buffet when you can order fresh off the menu. Has anyone really ever had a "fresh and hot" meal of eggs, bacon and home-fries from a buffet?
The biggest challenge was the parking. 24 hour Valet parking is $35 (plus tip every-time they park and retrieve the car), and the alternatives are few and far between. There is an outdoor lot across the street and to the left that charges $10 flat rate from 6pm to 6am and another indoor lot on Charles Street, two blocks over that is a bit less.
When you're here to relax and enjoy yourself, the last thing you need is to stress out over parking rates, and I'm sure the hotel knows this, so in most cases just add $40 a day to the room charges if your driving.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank LeicaMan
DirRooms, Manager at Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
LeicaMan,

Thank you for your feedback and the great comments with regards to the breakfast service and location of the hotel, it really is a great spot in Yorkville with easy access to the rest of Downtown Toronto, and of course Yorkville.

Parking is often difficult to find downtown as in any city and often comes at a premium. By offering Valet, we are not only providing a parking space, but we are offering security for your vehicle while it is in our care. Covered Parking is a bonus in the cold Toronto Winters and it is always a good feeling when your car is returned to you, and the heaters have been turned on to take the chill of your car. We also offer 'In' + 'Out' privileges which really does benefit those staying over 24hrs, actually, it almost works out to be approximately the same price as the uncovered parking or other covered parking lots within the vicinity as their prices increase after 6 or 7am in the morning to an additional 'Full Day Rate'.

I would however recommend your suggestions for large vehicles taller than 6 Foot as the Valet lot we use has limited clearance for large vehicles.

Thank you and we look forward to serving you next time you visit Toronto,

Director of Rooms
Karachi, Pakistan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

This is not my first visit to the Marriott Bloor Yorkville. The location of the hotel is why I have selected it in past and why I selected it again this time. I'm not sure that I was expecting a lot of change in the hotel and I wasn't disappointed -- nothing has changed since my last stay three years ago.

The price is good; the location is what I wanted; the rooms are large and well appointed. However, given everything, I can only give the hotel an Average. Here's why:

The internet is only free in the lobby. I still can't understand why hotels do not have free internet -- build it into the cost of the room.
Towel are a three on a scale of five. Not thread-bare but not fluffy either.
Bed is fairly comfortable but not pillow-topped mattress. Again, just a three.
I had such a bad experience with breakfast the last time I stayed at this Marriott, I didn't even give it a chance this time. Thus, no "scrambled egg" test. I walked over to Flo's Diner for breakfast.
Water pressure in the shower is "just OK".

Having said all of this, I probably will stay here again. But, I sure wish they would change their policy on internet availability.

Room Tip: Take a room on a higher floor. Many of the rooms face out towards a car wash and, beginning at 8:00...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple