“It's old, cheap, but clean”
Review of Alexandra Hotel

Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #96 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 13 March 2012

During a recent convention -when every room in Toronto was sold or was $350 a night - I was sent to the Alexandra by an acquaintance who always stays there.
It seemed to be unusual - up a quiet suburban street in an old area of Toronto - nearby Queen Street had many eclectic business, including great restaurants and a couple of bong shops (yes, I was astonished). But the location was alarming and the exterior appearance was off-putting (old brick and it didn't look like a hotel).
The Alexandra used to be a self-help retirement facility - small rooms with cooking facilities. It looks old and run down, but it's actually comfortable and very clean, and I'd stay again. No restaurant there so a walk to Queen Street to many eating places is the daily program, or buy food and take it back - the rooms all have a microwave, cook top, small refrigerator.
The central heat is a ceiling thermal system that was overwhelmed on a really cold night - so it's not the Ritz - but it is a ten dollar cab ride to the downtown business district.
There is no pool or amenities of any kind. But it is in the $80 range (except during peak periods when they want $100 plus tax). Toronto is an expensive city and this is about the cheapest accommodation in town - but I would stay again - it's a bed, it's clean, and it worked for me. They also have wi-fi and that was a help. And local phone calls are only 35c apiece - however the wi-fi was chronically slow at times and they have the nerve to charge for parking - $5 a day. Their website says it is downtown - which it is not - but it is a $10 cab ride so it's not too far out. It worked for me. I've rated the rooms as poor - because they aren't average - but they are clean and livable.
The website ( http://www.alexandrahotel.com ) has photos which make it look better than it is - but it's ok - just ok.

Room Tip: Rooms are all the same. They all have a Queen bed and a single bed so two or three people can share...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Thank you for your detailed review. I'd like to make a few clarifications. The Alexandra was never a "self-help retirement facility" - it was just an apartment building before it was converted to a hotel. Also, we are indeed downtown. The Alexandra Hotel is east of Bathurst Street, which is the western edge of the downtown district.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Alexandra Hotel

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have been to Toronto twice before and stayed virtually within spitting distance of Dundas Square.

For my stay in February 2012, I chose this hotel, because rooms were advertised to have a small pantry. The hotel is located a few stops by streetcar from Dundas Square/Eaton Centre. There are basically three streetcar lines (on Dundas, on Queen and on Bathhurst) and you can walk to Spadina Ave. I did not feel unsafe, even when I returned a bit later at night.
Also, the hotel is still located within walking distance of all major downtown attractions if you take the time to stroll down the streets. (Something I like to do anyway as you see the city you're visiting differently anyway, if you walk around a lot.)

The room is resonably sized, although I have to say, that the pictures I saw on the hotel website give a larger impression that my room was in reality. The pantry was actually directly beside the bed - you could reach into the fridge lying in the bed. (Which I guess for some can be an advantage...)
My room was clean, but it could use some renovation and that made room and bathroom appear a bit unclean. Furniture and cupboards have seen their best days a few years back.

Front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. Upon check-in you'll get a key to the front door downstairs as well as your room key. Parking is charged extra. I arrived early and it was no problem checking in at that time.

Still, the hotel offers a good value for money. Just in my case I could have booked a special offer in the downtown centre at an almost similar rate. Otherwise, it's a good place for anyone staying in Toronto. I would not do any more cooking than maybe making toast and tea for breaktfast. But doing this and maybe ordering take-out, will reduce your overall budget.

Room Tip: A room on the top floor facing Lake Ontario will give you a great view on the skyline and the CN Tow...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank thor_74HH
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write us such a detailed review. I always appreciate feedback on the condition of the rooms - I will definitely pass it along to the manager. We aim to be low-cost but we can always make improvements to our facilities. I hope you consider staying with us again, and thanks again for your honest post!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Well priced for the city (under $100 a night). Was not fancy at, all but had good basic ammenities (kitchen, wifi) and seemed reasaonably clean. The area seemed a little scuzzy (homeless people in neighbouring park, etc), but I didn't feel afraid walking through it as a single women. My car and canoe were untouched in the parking lot for three days.
It took my about a half hour or so to walk to the CN tower from here so I would consider it fairly close to everything. The neighbourhood seems to get better as well after a few minutes of walking.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Kootenay23

Good review! We don't try to be fancy, we prefer to keep our prices as low as possible. I'm glad you didn't find the neighborhood intimidating - it's an older neighborhood but most of the residents are quite friendly, and there are many restaurants and attractions within walking distance. I hope you stay with us again next time you're in town!

Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was in this hotel in the 3rd week of September. I had no other choice as two large conferences were taking place in Toronto and there was a severe shortage of rooms. My very first experience was bad. I entered the hotel to check in around noon (check-in time - 2 PM), the clerk informed that the room was not ready. This was quite acceptable as I had arrived earlier than the check in time. But the way he put this was far from acceptable. His voice and the way of saying this had an air of nonchalance and rudeness. The rooms was good, neat and clean except that there is one window AC running which make a lot of noise. I also had the experience that someone else had earlier (they had given their feedback in one of their reviews) - On two occassions I could spot spiders in my room. I know from the earlier reviews that the hotel guys will not take any action, so I kept quiet.The kitchnette is very good though. The elevator was very old and was a bit scary travelling in it. There was no valet laundry service and there was supposed to be a coin-operated laundry but that was always locked. Again the manner in which the front office responded when I asked about this was very harsh. The ultimate experience came when I checked out. There is a lady in the front office and whenever I asked something from her, the response was always very curt and rude. After checking out of the hotel, I was waiting from my taxi to go to the airport (taxi arranged by the hotel only). It was raining outside. There were two chairs in the front office and when I asked the lady if I could wait there, she bluntly refused and asked to either wait outside (in the rain) or stand in the hall-way ( Nobody in the hotel knew where that hallway was). Since it was raining outside I was standing near the elevator for more than half an hour cursing my self to agreeing to stay in this hotel and being meeted by this unruly treatment. Fortunately there was a manager who came out and when I explained the situation to him, he apologized and offered me a chair to sit till my taxi arrived. Never in my life I would compromise and stay in a small hotel if other bigger hotels are not available for any reason. I had my worst experience of my life in this hotel

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Thanks for taking the time to review the Alexandra Hotel.

It's true the Alexandra Hotel does not offer valet laundry service. We aim to be affordable and convenient and simply don't offer luxury services like valet parking or valet laundry services. We gave you a key to the laundry room when you checked in, but we should have given you specific instructions on how to open the door and operate the washer and dryer, and I apologize for this oversight. As for the elevator, I'm sorry it frightened you but let me assure you that it is well-maintained and inspected regularly by professional technicians.

Though we work very hard to keep the hotel clean, and I appreciate that you complimented the quality of the rooms, the occasional insect can find its way into the building - especially during the warmer months. Don't hesitate to call the desk staff of any hotel you stay at if you have a concern. Not every review you read online is accurate and hotels prefer dealing with any complaints before the guest checks out.

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and I have brought your concerns to the attention of management and front desk staff. You were treated poorly by some of our staff and we sincerely apologize. We are constantly aiming to improve our level of service and your comments will help us to better deal with similar complaints in the future.

Reviewed 7 September 2011

Nice, friendly and comfortable.

Located near the China town - about 30 min by walk from city center and Railway station.
A lot of places to eat in the neighborhood.

The room was not very big but with the kitchen and bathroom.
Laundry on the floor.
Very friendly and helpful staff.

Enjoyed the stay. Can recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Alexander_StPete
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

We appreciate your recommendation! There are many fine restaurants within walking distance, and our staff is always willing to help people find their way around the city. Glad you enjoyed your stay!