“Very comfortable hotel”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Arrived at the hotel a little later in the evening than I expected (about 9pm) and I was shocked to see that there was nobody to help with our bags. I parked in front, checked in and then got a luggage cart myself to put all the bags on. Parked in the convenient parking garage right next door ($25/day but allows in/out). We were given a room on the 8th floor that consisted of a large living room/work desk area, bedroom, and a bath room with a separate huge dressing area/mirror. The view was great as well and I was very happy with the hotel.

On the second night of our stay, we returned to the hotel at about 8pm only to find that there was no power. The staff told us that it was due to a transformer fire somewhere in the city and they had a map handy to outline the large area of the city that didn't have power. There were some lights on in the hall and one elevator that worked so they must have some sort of emergency power. I'm still not sure that I believe them about the severity of the outage since I walked outside and everything I saw had power except for the hotel. Even the office building right next to the Cambridge Suites on the same block had power, and so did the building behind. I only mention this because the next day at checkout I asked how the hotel would be compensating the guests for the lack of power and they said it was not their problem due to a city wide outage. I was offered a continental breakfast that I declined.

I really did like this hotel but I feel that my intelligence was being insulted by trying to tell me that it was not their responsibility. In the industry I work in we have to ensure power at all times so we have things like redundant generators that will completely power the facility no matter what happens. Perhaps the hotel should look into this type of setup. I feel that I should have been refunded something, perhaps 25% of one nights stay since I had the pleasure of sitting in a hot, dark room for the evening. At least the lights outside were on so I could look at the view.

I would definitely recommend this hotel unless you are expecting a power outage ;)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill M
timostrem, General Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear BillM845,

Thank you for the nice review and helpful suggestions. I am very sorry you were here during the power outage that affected a large portion of downtown Toronto. While we are not on the same power grid as some of the surrounding buildings, I can assure you this was not an isolated outage. I have attached a link to one of the news stories covering the event: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/05/power-outage-puts-thousands-in-the-dark-in-downtown-toronto/ While I can certainly appreciate your disappointment with the situation, our top priority is to ensure the safety and comfort of our guests to the best of our ability in these situations and I am glad we were able to do that. If I can ever be of service to you on a future trip to Toronto, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cambridge Suites Hotel Toronto

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Cambridge Suites Toronto

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Tim and his crew are first class professionals. They have a wonderfully-located and well-kept hotel under their watchful eye. Service is fantastic and always given with smile. The Cambridge Suite Hotel is definitely my first choice for accommodations in Toronto!

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and away from elevators
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear SachinK347,

Thank you for the very kind review and recommendation. Please be sure to let me know when you are returning with your family!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed here for four nights in July and had a city view suite. We found it very well laid out, nicely appointed. We used the PATH (indoor access to subway system) and also used both Queen Street TTC stops. Street cars go right by and you are also within walking distance of Dundas Square. We were on the 19th floor and did not find noise to be an issue. The drapes blocked out the light (and the heat - it was HOT when we were there). One night, there was even a partial city blackout that affected the hotel - they very calmly handed out flashlights, still had an elevator working and the hotel stayed cool enough for us to sleep until the power came back on a few hours later. Front desk was helpful anytime we had a question and although we didn't get a chance to use the bikes, thought that was a nice perk. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on a high floor which seemed to help mitigate the city noise. Make sure to close the drapes...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear dafootes,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with other tripadvisor readers. I was very pelased to read that you enjoyed your stay; despite the lengthy downtown Toronto power outage. If I can ever be of service to you on a future trip to Toronto, please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed just one night at this comfortable, clean hotel, and enjoyed it. The location is excellent - we walked to and from the AGO in the evening, then headed out late the next morning. The suite was small but exactly what we needed to accommodate the two of us and two toddlers, including having two cribs already in the room as requested at booking. The decor was updated and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. Parking in the garage is $25 per day, and you can go in and out as you please.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear teamalec,

Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciated your kind words. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again - be sure to let me know when you are returning.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

The main selling point for this hotel is location, only 30 minutes drive from the airport a few minutes walk to Eaton Centre and Yonge-Dundas Square and about a 20 minute walk to the CN tower and harbour front. Public transport hubs are in walking distance and there are always taxis outside the lobby.

The hotel is very well kept, clean and stylishly decorated. The staff were friendly and courteous and provided excellent independent advice on restaurants, tours and the best way to get around the city. They allowed us to check out late for no extra charge and safely stored our luggage for the remainder of the day before a late night flight.

The room, a deluxe suite, was very well equipped with a kitchenette, walk in shower and separate tub, living area with two sofas and dining table, and a huge bed and separate dressing room. It was very spacious and comfortable and was more impressive than the descriptions provided on the hotel website. Modern decoration and very clean. A definite bonus was free wifi which was reliable and fast. The views from the room were poor, but on balance this was not an issue.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Sher-7,

Thank you for the great review and helpful comments. If I can ever be of service to you on a future trip to Toronto, please be sure to let me know so that I can ensure your next review is a perfect 5!