“Disappointed !” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
san francisco, CA
“Disappointed !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent...right in the center of the Yorkville area where restaurants and high end shops are within walking distance. The Royal Ontario Museum is also right across the street. However, the "luxury" 2-queen bedroom we stayed was just average at best---a mismatch to the Intercontinental brand. There is NO flat screen TV but an old tube version; the toilet leaked and we had a towel around the bottom all the time. One good thing worth mentioning is that public parking is just around the corner and has direct elevator assess to the hotel lobby...the overnight rate (about $15) is more reasonable than the valet rate of $25/day. Most likely will not stay here again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear ynot929,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville.

While I do agree with you in saying we are in the ideal proximity to some of Toronto's most prominent landmarks as well as subway access, It was rather disappointing to read you did not entirely enjoy your stay with us. I would like to mention, however, that we are in the midst of replacing all of our 'tube' TVs with brand new 42" flat screen plasma screens. There are also a couple of other 'facelifts' in the works so that we can refresh and re-instate the feel of our boutique hotel.

Once again, thank you for your review. I do remain hopeful you will grant us another opportunity to wow you in the near future.

Best Regards,
Simon Antoine
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

I am always extremely pleased with this great hotel. They greet you by name and always go out of their way to ensure you are satisfied. Whether it is holding the door, flagging a cab, finding a restuarant, or even bringing ice to your room I have yet to meet an employee that is less than exceptional. The service in the bar is always fun and friendly and I recently had an oppertunity to try their in house restaurant and was pleased with it as well. I would highly reccomend to all individuals whether business, romance, or pleasure.

Room Tip: Become an ambassador gold member for $150 US and get automotic upgrades, late checkout, and welcome...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

My wife and I came from a rain-soaked Scotland to spend a week in sunny Toronto from the 7th July - 14th July. I have to say that I am very glad indeed that we booked this hotel.

As other have mentioned, the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. A special mention must go to the staff who work at Signatures for the breakfast crowd. They are always smiling and helpful and get your day off to a great start. I can recommend the continental breakfast. If I was to make just the tiniest criticism it would be that I was surprised that cereal wasn't offered on any of the 3 breakfasts available with the breakfast vouchers. However, the Canadian and Continetal breakfasts were fab.

Our room was great - spacious and with an extremely comforatable bed. We were on the 4th floor and overlooked Bloor Street. As someone who struggles with getting a good night's sleep I did wonder about possible noise but the insulation from the windows is fantastic. The mattress on the bed was wonderful.

The bathroom is large and had a seperate bath and shower cubicle. Although the shower cubicle isn't overly large it was more than adequate and we never had any problems.

The room was very clean and the great housekeeping staff always had it spotless for us coming back later in the day, regardless of the piles of bags of shopping we left scattered round the room!

The hotel is located a bit away from downtown, However, you have St. George's subway station just a 1 minute walk away. The Toronto subway is incredibly fast and efficient. Getting around town to the tourist sites was easy. I suppose I should give any men readind this review a small word of warning - Bloor Street West is full of high-end shopping, so be prepared to have your credit card on standby incase your other half spots something in Chanel/Cartier/Holt Renfrew that catches her eye!

The location is also spot on for the ROM and a walk around the grounds of Toronto University. If I had one criticism of the location is that there is a lack of restaurants aorund Bloor Street West, However, this is not something that is in the control of the hotel. And besides, it's fun to get out at night and head downtown for dinner.

All in all, I can recommend the hotel 100%. It was my first taste of Canadian hospitality and I left counting the days until I'm back in that amazing country.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul H
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a night last weekend. While the hotel is in a good area (we used to live near there), the actual stay there left much to be desired.

For a nice hotel in this particular area, I would have expected more. The pool was a lap pool, but only 3 narrow lanes wide, and towels were not available in the pool area, which was very inconvinient. While we booked a 'deluxe' king room for 2 adults and 1 child, there was no pull-out bed in the room, and only 1 bathrobe, and few towels. We purchased breakfast in advance, but it was not worthwhile: the regular cost is $18 for a continental - my fruit was sliced razor thin and there was not much there, I had to ask for my pastry since it was on the menu but not delivered, and when I got my croissant - it was terrible (not even my toddler would eat it, and I'm not picky) Any cheap packaged grocery store one would have far surpassed it. I don't mind paying to get quality, but when you pay lots, I at least expect something decent. We will never bother staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jane M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Jane M,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments. I am pleased you found our location commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology if the breakfast served during your stay did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate you bringing this into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Again, thank you for your comments and I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kaneohe, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

This is a beautiful, almost boutique hotel. The rooms are very pleasant, and the staff is outstanding. It also has a very fine restaurant, and I would highly recommend it. It is not like the typical hotel food accommodiation. Also, the location of the hotel is quite convenient, with the subway station just a block away. We were there for four nights.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J M
, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear J M,

Thank your for your review!

It was an absolute pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us and were pleased wtih our Signatures Restaurant as well as the boutique accommodations of the hotel. We strive to make all our guests' stays 100% perfect, and I am very glad we succeded in making yours one of them.

We look very forward to your return!

Best Regards,