“A wonderful hip hotel in King West district” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
Ranked #16 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“A wonderful hip hotel in King West district”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I booked a room here for the IDS 2012. I'm so glad we did. The front desk entrance, lounge, roof top lounge were all fantastic and left quite an impression. Our room was beautiful and minimal just like home. The only drawback was that we were directly in front of the elevator (a bit loud really) and found it was a wheelchair accessible room (a bit less romantic). We didn't bother changing it though. The beds are heavenly, really. One thing I can't stand is having to pay for internet. Come on! Really? For $15 a day and not spending that much time in the room - we didn't bother.

The room service staff were all amazing, friendly and quick. Within minutes literally we had fresh towels, drinks, room service (eggs benefict, muffins, coffee - all delicious).

We would stay here again in a heart beat. It's a walk to Queen St. shopping but on a nice day it's perfect. Right outside our window on Wellington was a busy dog park which was highly entertaining on a quiet Sunday morning and the hotel is a very short cab ride to Billy Bishop airport if you're flying Porter.

Do book a table at Scarpetta restaurant well in advance for it's more than famous Spaghetti with Basil but make sure to start off with a drink at the Lobby Lounge first. Those complimentary bar chips are delicious with one of their Bloody Ceasars.

Have fun, it's Thompson!

Room Tip: Away from the elevators.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Linda X
Saye K, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear clubview,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Thompson Toronto. Our dedicated staff love making all our guests feel welcome, and they will be grateful to know how much you appreciated their efforts. Also, we’re glad you had an exceptional time at our hotel . It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to see you in the near future.

Thompson Hotels
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

As a frequent traveler, my stay at the Thompson Toronto was nothing but positive.

The hotel's valet and front desk staff were friendly and professional (extra points to Josh). My king superior room was clean, well-maintained and spacious, and I loved the modern - yet warm and cozy - decor (which is found throughout the property). I also appreciated the extra touches such as the heated floor in the bathroom and the lighting controls next to the bed.

The comments regarding the great views from the rooftop are not exaggerations. In addition, for travelers seeking a quality fitness center, the Thompson Toronto's 24-hour facility delivers the goods - it's large and the equipment is state-of-the-art.

My experience with the restaurants, Scarpetta and Thompson Diner, were limited but I did find the sleek designs appealing.

It is true that the downstairs and rooftop bars are popular, and they can get loud and crowded; however, I did not encounter any noise issues in my room.

I hope I have the opportunity to return to this property when the weather is warmer and I am able to fully enjoy the rooftop lounge and infinity pool.

Room Tip: Rooms on the six floor and above are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tdpndc
Saye K, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear tdpndc,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, hotel décor, design, our restaurants, fitness center and the rooftop view. It was our pleasure to serve you and we’re pleased to know you had a great time with us. We value your continued patronage, and we look forward to serving you again upon your next visit.

Kindest Regards,

Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Have now done a second and final attempt at the Thompson Hotel in Toronto. Both stays have been for business and it is clearly not a business hotel. As many other reviews have indicated the hotel is very loud and the service is, at best, ambivalent.

Room Tip: Not sure there is one. Most floors can be very loud with party people at all hours.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KGBRover
Dear KGBRover,
We regret to hear that your experience was anything less than exceptional, yet we thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and we will take your comments into serious consideration as we continually strive to improve.

Again thank you for your time and for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay. We hope to have the privilege of serving you again in the future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

My husband and I stayed over on a Monday night for a mini staycation. I noticed a light scent of stale smoke, but I ignored it. I figured it was just me, since Ontario had passed that "no smoking indoors" law a few years back. The rooms were clean and comfortable, I particularly liked the touch-activated light switches, and the heated floor in the bathroom was my favourite. Great until the people next door came back. It sounded like a good 6 people (all drunk) were packed into one room all trying to talk over one another. Several minutes later, it became obvious where the smoke smell had come from, as kids next door were clearly smoking pot and the fumes were wafting from under the door. A call down to the front desk did get the kids to quiet down a bit, but the marijuana smoke was a lost cause.

We live in the city, so the location was not a big deal to us, but for those from out of town, the hotel is located in a gentrifying area, and in my personal opinion, quite a (walking) distance from anything of note. I would prefer to stay somewhere more central, and better lit at night if I wasn't familiar with the area.

Room Tip: I suppose a room away from the stairwells would help, as people seem to like taking the stairs at al...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear ki_le2,
We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us; we love hearing from our guests. Thank you for your kind words regarding the Thompson Toronto’s room and happy you liked the heated floor in the washroom- we’re glad you enjoyed these aspects of our hotel. We regret, however, to hear that you experienced that inconvenient situation; we assure you that what you experienced is not the standard at Thompson Toronto or among any Thompson property.

Again, thank you for your time and we hope to see you again in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I can't believe that in the time since my last visit the Thompson has actually gotten worse, despite the amount of negative reviews they've received - I really can't believe nothing has been taken into account.

I did stay elsewhere in the city, since the experience was so bad the first time. However we did visit the hotel for it's lobby bar -> Couldn't get in because the lineup of Jersey Shore wannabes (amazing that people want to behave in such fashion) was extensive & we were informed by the rude beefy security guard that we probably wouldn't be able to get in before last call (it was 11)

A few days later we returned to visit The Counter, which I learned has changed names to The Thompson Diner. It seems the food quality has gone down, while the prices have gone up: Orange juice + pancakes for two rendered a near $60 bill - the orange juice was from concentrate while the pancakes were dry & tasteless, had NO sides (for $17 you would expect some bacon) & didn't even have a handful of fruit in them (banana pancakes were more like a hunt for banana in a whopping pile of cheap flour)

Again, I am extremely disappointed in the quality of this hotel, considering the high caliber of service the American locations provide. The Canadian management clearly doesn't know much about customer service.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask about the faucets - it seems many of the faucets in the room have come off & we...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roben R
Dear margot t,
We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us; we love hearing from our guests. We regret that your visit was anything less than exceptional and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered. Yet, we appreciate and value your feedback and will use your concerns constructively to improve our overall guest experience.

In hopes to remedy your stay, we eagerly invite you to contact us so that we may address the inconveniences you experienced during your visit. Please send a message to ThompsonHotels, or contact the hotel directly by phone or email.