“Long-Term Success”

Prospector Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Prospector Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 306 Restaurants in Thunder Bay
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Prospector restaurant has been a fixture in Thunder Bay for many years. The prime rib is amazing, and is the only thing I order when we go for supper. I did try the fish (Pickerel) and chips and it as top notch. And then, there are the fresh-baked buns. In a word, they are marvellous. You can smell them cooking as soon as you enter the restaurant, mingled with the delicious smell of roasting meat. The buns sit in large bowls, and it is self-serve. I usually self-serve myself several times throughout the meal. They are soooo good! There will be two soups, and salads available.
The menu includes other cuts of meat, seafood, and a variety of desserts, if you can fit any more food. There is a. children's menu as well. large or small groups fit well. It is pricey, but worth the trip if you are in town.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

I love this place the food was awesome and the buns are to die for. Great salad and soup. The staff were very courteous and polite. Great service and great eats. It is not a fancy place. No dressing up necessary. Clean and tidy though. Try the salmon. Very good. My husband loves the steak.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

5 of us went to the prospector the first week of September.
First time for 3 of them. This was the first time for mysèlf since the remodeling of the salad bar area and of some of the seating area.
The prime rib was excellent as usual. Salad bar was also excellent. Note about the horse radish. I think that was the freshest and strongest that I've had in a long time.
Staff were attentive without hovering.
If you want prime rib or steak I very highly recommend it.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Number of colleagues and I went to the prospector for dinner while in Thunder Bay on business.

The restaurant is housed in what was an old bank of Montreal branch located near the casino. The service that we received was absolutely outstanding; our server was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. The food itself was served promptly and was absolutely delicious. My 10 ounce New York strip steak with salad bar and soup came to $38 and was worth every cent. I highly recommend that you visit the prospector and treat yourself to a fantastic meal.

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Took my son for his Birthday Dinner here as it was an opportunity for him to eat some of his favourite foods!!! We are always impressed by the service and the food!!! We enjoy the Salad Bar and the fresh baked buns and bread!!! My son was so excited when some of the staff brought out a dessert and sang 'Happy Birthday' he was truly elated on his special day!!! We always leave feeling satisfied and always with a few buns and leftovers!!! Highly Recommend!