“Average”

Armando Fine Italian Cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Limited menu, Great service from the owner and waitress

1  Thank ThunderBayNortherner

Reviewed 6 November 2011

we are fortunate enough to live in thunder bay and we are always happy to treat ourselves to dinner at Armandos. this quiet little italian restaurant in the north side downtown core is one of the best places to dine in the thunder bay area. the service is always fun and very friendly. they want to feel at home. Armando is a great host and proud to serve any dish on the menu. i personally recommend the veal scallopini milanese (hope i spelled it right) but i am sure you will enjoy whichever dish you choose.
if you are visiting our neck of the woods or if you live here and have never been, do yourself a favour and plan a visit to Armandos.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

I've lived in Canada, the US and in Europe. I've dined in London, Paris, Switzerland and Italy and I can honestly say this is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at. I've read all the reviews and they are all true.

The decor may be a bit outdated, but who cares - I'm there for the food, not the furniture!

Do not miss an opportunity to eat at Armando's - you'll be glad you did!

2  Thank Lucia D
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This restaurant, located in downtown Thunder Bay, had a nice, low-key, relaxed atmosphere, and pleasant decor. But, I don't go to restaurants for the atmosphere; I go for the food. Usually, a restaurant's food is in inverse proportion to its atmosphere.

That is not the case with Armando's. I live in Southeast Minnesota, which is where food went to die, and Minneapolis/St. Paul is a welcome respite, but not exactly known as one of America's "food cities." So, I expected Armando's to be on par with one of the places I've eaten at in the Twin Cities.

Well, the veal parmagiana was perfect, melt-in-your-mouth veal and the somewhat sweet sauce and pungent cheese complemented it perfectly. Most places these days overbread their veal, but at Armando's it was served "scallopini" (scalloped). The fettucini was "just right," and the cream sauce was not too heavy -- but not too light -- on the garlic. My kids loved their spaghetti bolognese.

I have lived in Brooklyn, New York, for many years before, and Armando's easily could compete with ANY New York Italian restaurant I've eaten in. That's something quite rare, and I was more than pleasantly surprised by the excellence of the food there.

2  Thank Quornhoolio
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I have been to Armando's at least 80 times over the past 20 years. This time was different...I took my friends out for dinner to celebrate a 25th wedding anniversary, birthday and graduation. Your meal is inclusive of salad, pasta and an entree. We all chose variations of either veal, chicken or beef. Everything is made from very fresh ingredients and Armando's wife is the cook.

We had Nonna with us and I think she is the "best cook in the world". She enjoyed her food immensely. I have travelled in Italy on ten occasions...last time I went I was able to obtain reservations at the highest ranked restaurant in Rome. I paid $500 euros for dinner for two at the Hilton in Rome (with one glass of wine). I could not eat the soup because the tortellini was so tough.

The food at Armando's is much better and priced reasonably.

I also did not know that Armando is so talented. Oftentimes, he will break into a song from Italy. Also ask to see his paintings on the wall...I believe he is from Naples.

The decor could do with some updating but other than that a "good time was had by all".