“repeat stays”

Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Ignace, Canada
“repeat stays”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

over the last five or six years we have been staying at the super 8 motel in thunderbay we started staying there when my husband and i were battling cancer. we were always treated with the utmost respect and the staff were awsome to us. over the years they have been making improvements and changing things . the rooms have always been very clean and usually if there were any way of making things more comfortable they would do it . sometimes we had to go on short notice to the hospital and they would always try to fit us in . now it almost feels like my second home. my husband passed away three years ago but i still have health problems and i always stay there.the staff is most caring and it makes things easier to deal with when you have a welcoming place to stay. i just stayed there last night and they have put in new and very comfortable beds. i it is a relaxing place to stay and it is very close to almost everything.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The staff at the Thunder Bay Super 8 are very nice and helpful, sadly the hotel is old, old, old. The carpet in our room was newer, but the rest of the room is in need of updating. I think they are in the process, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done. The bathrooms need to be totally gutted. I was not impressed with the area around the hotel either. I am sorry to say I would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Be careful when bidding off Priceline's name your own price. When they give you only the choice of a one star hotel, this is it! Won with a bid of $80 USD per night in June 2011.

Travelling from Calgary to Toronto and needed a pitstop in Thunder Bay.

Checked the bed for bed bugs and found none. Washroom was clean. Room was one-star quality so I can't complain. Fridge in the room was a bonus which meant I could refrigerate my soda cans! Wireless Internet was free but a tad slow. Forget about streaming YouTube on their network.

I did get a good night's rest. Ended up driving from Thunder Bay to Sudbury without any significant fatigue issues so I must have slept well.

There is surveillance in the parking but I still felt inclined to bring all my valuables into the room.

Short walk from a Boston Pizza. Lucky for us, it was a Tuesday and they had their Pasta Tuesday promotion.

Overall, I got what I paid for. It was better than I expected. No vacancy on the night I was staying so other people don't mind the quality given that it is probably the cheapest place to stay in town.

I'd recommend this to people on a budget and who are just passing through. Lower your expectations. This was still miles better than the supposed 4-star resort I stayed at in Cuba.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pacmanto
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2011

For 75 bucks I got to stay in a room that was at about 45 degrees F. Changed rooms and it was the same. I checked in at around 11pm, so I wasn't getting a real run for my money anyway, but the malfunctioning heaters made the whole thing a complete joke. No offers of reimbursement from the management either which I thought was very poor.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2010

This Super 8 is below expectations and acceptable standards.

The rooms are dark and dingy; the decor probably fresh when Noah traveled on the Ark. Sheets and towels are threadbare - we have better in our rag bin at home. The carpets were dirty and stained, as were the chairs and the bedspreads. You could see the bedspread through the sheets so that at first we thought there were large dirty spots on the sheets. Nope, just really REALLY worn spots. The paint on the walls was chipped, cracked and stained. Not a comfortable room to relax in after along drive.

The room had access from the hall in the hotel as well as the back parking lot where a bunch of unsavory-looking individuals hung out smoking and doing God-knows-what else. Very uncomfortable feeling having that right outside your back door.

The coffee maker was situated on the bathroom counter - which might not be so bad except that the bathroom was gross! Under the vanity counter was a large hole in the wall. We wondered what would crawl out of there during the night.

Although the hotel is in a sleazy area of town, the lobby appeared quite nice and the staff friendly. Our first impression therefore, was that this was the usual Super 8 quality and standard despite the location. It absolutely was not.

We have stayed in a good number of Super 8 hotels in both the US and Canada and I can truly say this fell way below expectations. Super 8 should be ashamed of the sign hanging in front of this place.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends