“Ideally located..”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mississauga, Canada
“Ideally located..”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We are just back from our annual 3 nite stay at the Arden Park which is ideally located near the Festival Theatre. The suite was spacious and well laid out, ideal for a family of four, with a very comfortable king-size bed in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the generous sized living room. The sofa bed's mattress was in desperate need of replacement. It had all the support of a hammock. The kitchen area had a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, utensils, sink and good counter space. The suite living area had a lingering odor - nicotine/dust/old cooking smells combined. How about using the down time between Festivals to freshen or replace the rugs and upholstered furnishings? The bathroom was a pleasure with a deep soaker tub, large shower and comfort height counter.

Room Tip: You don't want to be near the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TheatreTravelNut
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Vancouver
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I was surprised at the size of the room I had. It was quite large and so felt quite spacious, if a bit dark. Free wifi and a serviceable desk meant that I could do the work I had to. I wasn't in the hotel much, but had a drink at the bar. The restaurant looked a bit dated, and I felt it wasn't for me. Had breakfast across the street, which I enjoyed. Free parking, which I appreciated.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Juhwawa
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This was the second year we chose the Arden Park for a one night stay while attending the Stratford Festival. The reason is that its basically a nice hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean and come with a refrigerator which we count as a necessity while travelling. They have a nice indoor pool and exercise room which is also a plus. It is a bit annoying having to pay at time of booking, but it's their policy. If it really bothered me, I would stay elsewhere. We had breakfast at the ground floor restaurant. Last year it was fine. This year, what a mistake. It was not busy, yet all three breakfasts were cold and had to be returned. On top of that, our server failed to refill our coffee cups until we finally asked. Not very observant. When the bill finally arrived, our server took the drinks off the menu. So basically we were being asked to pay for what initially were cold breakfasts. Only after we said something was the entire bill cancelled. Next time will try someplace else for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff R
ottawa, ontario
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We've stayed here before and enjoyed it but had a few issues this time around. The room price is reasonable but beware they charge you for your first night as soon as you make a reservation. And if you cancel you have to forfit some of your money. Then in addition to the aprox $170 charged to our visa upon booking, another $270 was held on our visa when we checked in (we were only staying the 2 nights so they've aready taken more then what we had to pay after our stay...a little much I think). So we got in our room after the wrong directions from the front desk and going up the wrong elevator with all our luggage and 2 kids in tow. The room was nice and clean, however, I noticed one of the beds was slanted. After looking, saw that the mattress and boxspring were off on one side of the frame holding it in. My husband and I attempted to fix it but the boxspring was really stuck on the metal bars and since it's not our bed we called down and let them know what was wrong. They said someone whould be up so we waited.....and waited...... Since we were there to visit family we left after an hour and let them know at the desk that we were heading out and what the problem was and if they could get it fixed so we could sleep that would be great. So we got back after a long visit at about 9:30pm with our 2 kids, tired and ready for bed and it still wasn't fixed!! They knew there was an issue at 3pm! My husband went down to talk to them while I got the kids for bed and they informed him that maintence was gone for the day so we had to switch rooms. So 2 cranky kids now and several trips down the hall and we fianally got some rest. Now on the plus side our second night was much better in the new room. This is a nice hotel but I feel the situation with a broken bed should have been handled better and when it wasn't delt with an appoligy would have been nice. Would I stay here again.....maybe, but I will be looking for other options in stratford.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank canadianmamakim
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I didn't even get a chance to stay at the hotel ... just made a booking for one night to attend a wedding. The person taking my reservation said it was her first day. When I received my next visa bill I was shocked to see my entire room charge of $180 was charged to my card. I called to investigate and was told curtly by the woman who answered that I needed to hold. I stayed on hold for 5 minutes then hung up and phoned back, and explained why I was calling - that I thought they had mistakenly charged the full amount to my card when I really just wanted to book the room. She said "that's our policy". I said that wasn't explained to me at the time of booking, and asked what if I wanted to cancel, and she said "you can cancel but we keep $10". Completely unapolagetic and super-snarky. Needless to say, I cancelled, and will make other arrangements.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends