“Entrust your evening to Soul Stone”

Soul Stone Sushi Grill and Bar
Ranked #33 of 2,840 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 39
Description: We are an intimate chef owned and operated 60 seats restaurant specializing in Japanese, Thai, and Chinese cuisine. We offer a unique blend of traditional and contemporary cooking techniques to deliver the freshest and tastiest of dishes that can't be found anywhere else. We offer Chinese, Thai, Sushi cusine Gluten free Option available
Reviewed 6 November 2016

Don't look now, but Orléans is starting to get some good restaurants...and this is one of them.

If you call and reserve at least 24 hours in advance, you can order the "Omakase", which in Jananese means "entrusting". The chef takes care of the rest. This was what we chose, and the chef spoke with me on the phone for a number of minutes to ask about allergies, sensitivities, and preferences. We have no allergies and willing to try anything (save ridiculously spicy food), so we let them do their thing.

We arrived to a packed restaurant -- clearly word is getting around -- but only had to wait a minute or two before our table was ready. We ordered two sake martinis (smooth!) and then settled in for our multi-course meal.

I imagine that each Omakase meal varies a bit from day to day, but ours included an hors d'oeuvre that the staff have named "Really Good" until they can find a better name. It did justice to its current placeholder name. (Quick note: We were told this was "complementary", so I'm not sure whether this is usually included as a separate course in the Omakase.)

We moved on to a small plate of lightly fried "pancake" wedges with a bit of fish, garnish, and a drizzle of sauce. I can't recall the exact details about the ingredients and preparation, but I do remember the taste which was amazing. The pancake was light, the taste was fresh, and the spiciness was at exactly the right level -- present but pleasant.

Next was a Thai chicken soup. I always like Thai soups, but I really loved this one (and, again, the spiciness was right on the mark for me).

Next was the sushi course, a good portion of which was excellent sashimi. All of it was wonderful, but my favourite was the butterfish, which I had never tasted before.

The mains followed, presented on hot soapstone plates. One I believe was their Thai Basil dish, and the other was a Teriyaki, both served with Jasmine rice. Both were excellent, but the taste of the Teriyaki dish really stayed with me. In all sincerity, I woke up thinking about it the next morning.

The dessert course was a nice small plate of two lightly fried banana rolls with some ice cream with chocolate and caramel drizzle.

Service was very incredibly friendly and the dining area visually interesting yet welcoming.

In short, I highly encourage you to entrust your evening to the chef at Soul Stone and order the Omakase. If you're not ready for that kind of commitment, their regular menu looks very good and they mentioned that they also feature take-out and delivery.

2  Thank OrleansDiner
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 November 2016

By chance, we fell upon this wonderful restaurant in Orleans. What a find - we will be back. We had the Customer Appreciation Lunch - delicious fare, great service, lovely decor and an amazing price as a Senior. This deal for a Senior is available Mon - Frid - for lunch only. Our Waiter, Bruce, provides service par excellence. I would highly recommend this restaurant for the lunch experience as we haven't ventured for dinner there as yet.

1  Thank MaryHC54
Reviewed 31 October 2016

I'm excited! Orléans has a new spot for sushi and they get a high five from me. A small restaurant with linen napkins and silverware, yet still casual enough for families with children that is tucked into the little plaza beside Jean Coutu on St-Joseph. From the refreshingly professional service, with just the right mix of attentiveness and warmth to fantastic menu selections and flavourful food. The owner even stopped by our table to welcome us.

The restaurant specializes in Asian cuisine (Thai, Japanese and Korean). The Gyoza (pork dumplings) appetizer was a delicious way to start out meal and with the Maple Garlic Dipping Sauce these are little bundles of heaven. These you must try! We tried 3-different sushi rolls; all amazing quality and exceptionally flavourful, my only comment was the Spicy Salmon Roll could have been a touch spicier. Our server did offer to take it back to the kitchen but all-in-all we were happy with it. Next time I'll just mention my preference when I order ask .... and there will be a next time! The only thing I would pass on next time was the Sweet & Sour Soup which was not my favorite style but, on the other hand, hubby raved about it. The thick dark spicy beef broth was flavorful, I'll give it that, but less sweet & sour and more spicy than I prefer but that's a personal preference. The food is a bit more expensive then some of the other local sushi restaurants but you get what you pay for. This is the real deal when it comes to sushi. The restaurant was fully reserved the evening we visited.

4  Thank Nancy_Ottawa
Reviewed 26 October 2016

We should of turned back around once we walked in, the place has a nice setting but the wine glasses should of tipped us off that we may be spending more than anticipated.
Upon being seated we were handed the menus and were shocked at the prices, our fault, we should of checked the menu online.
We were the only people there for some time and the service although pleasant the food took a long time to arrive. We had an appetizer, Tuna Tataki, and we were disappointed when the tuna was slightly frozen. We also ordered 3 rolls and although the presentation was beautiful we were left hungry.
But the kicker was one of the workers constantly taking pictures of the empty tables & cutlery, which I can only assume this is for advertising. It was distracting.

My suggestion if this place wants to survive in Orleans, lower your prices.

1  Thank Msh3ll
Longpeng X, Manager at Soul Stone Sushi Grill and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2016

Dear Msh3ll,

We are sorry to hear about your experience and we apologize for our photographer, since we are currently working on improving our services by pushing out our take-out and delivery menu. Sorry for the any inconvience.
At Soul Stone Restaurant, we always stand to bring the best food alongside great service. We try to accommodate the needs of every customer thus we encourage customer to bring any concerns to our attention during their dining experience. As we are a fairly new restaurant, we truly apprieciate the feedback from all our customers. And we encourage that you would email us through info@soulstoneoriginal.com to discuss future actions. Thanks again.

All the best,
Soul Stone

Reviewed 25 October 2016

We had the Omakase dinner for two, it requires a 24hr reservation notice and the menu is left up to the Chef. In our case he did not disappoint. We had the whole range of fine Japanese dining, appetizer, tempura, sashimi and sushi. The variety, presentation and textures were fantastic. Some items were not on the menu but created by the chef. It was not only a meal but an experience that we will definitely do again. The chef introduced himself before the meal and asked for feedback after. Five stars overall but go hungry.

1  Thank retireddiners