“Fine Fish Cuisine, Bistro Style.”

Merivale Fish Market
Ranked #157 of 3,112 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Reviewed 9 January 2016

Well, I nearly forgot to rate this establishment as we take it for granted. After 15 years of dining here, the Epifano boys have taken this dining experience from Montreal Quality Bistro Chic, to a finely organized Fish Dining Experience. Being of Portuguese heritage, no one can do fish like the Portuguese ; but I must admit, these boys have been in the business a long time first as retail fish mongers and then added their dining establishment back in 1999.

It is the place to go for fish in Ottawa, bar none. Their menu is varied with all the normal fare, plus they dream up daily specials as well. Not to bore you reading this review, I will tell you my favourites and some special requested items off menu they prepare for us and our family. When we have family over from the U.S., Brazil, Portugal, or Montreal, or celebrating a special occasion,...this is the only place we hang out in, period. Hard to believe they are not from Portuguese heritage, but this place just gets it right. Here's some innovative items you should ask for off menu ;
1. Portuguese French Fries ; deep fried calamari tentacles or small octopii, drizzled with lemon over, and served with either a side dish of Piri Piri sauce or Frank's Red Hot. Try It.
2. Tuna ; nice slab just seared & served with a balsamic salad on the side. Think of it as 'Sushi Calabrese'. Damn good !
3. Tony's Boulie Base soup : OK, so not my concoction, but my favourite soup. A meal in itself choc full of luxury fish and shrimp.The broth is to die for. Tony's Mommy was the author.
4. Smelts ; Another favourite. Just eat them like fries. My 2yr old grand daughter can eat half the plate by herself ! A little lemon, a little salt, one 'Beau's', .... and leave me alone.

They have a nice wine selection, feature 'Beau's' & other popular draft and bottled beers, nice daily fresh desserts, and YES, for all us hardy souls, frozen Grappa as a digestif.

Ask any Construction worker or local business people where they dine for fish or bring take out home, and they can tell you. Merivale for fish. Let's go and bring the kids and gramps.

OH, OH, I nearly forgot ; It is warm atmosphere full of positive energy, ... at no charge. Did I mention they have take out ?

Reviewed 7 January 2016 via mobile

Don't even bother with Red Lobster. This place is the same price or less and it is super fresh. Service is excellant also.

Reviewed 15 December 2015

A great place to eat if you like fish. There is a wide selection of fish species to choose from and the service is friendly and fast

Reviewed 12 December 2015

We arrived at around 6:30 and had to wait about 20 minutes although by around 7:30, there was plenty of seating available. The fish and chips were delicious as usual as was the salmon special with goat cheese. What stood out on this visit for me was the excellent coleslaw with a hint of mustard and slightly sweet. The best coleslaw I remember having.

The service as usual was very friendly. You can also buy fresh seafood at the fish store attached to the restaurant.

Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

Food was delicious, so if you want some fresh seafood, with fast service, at a reasonable price this is the place to go! Will be back for sure!