All reviewsfree tourbed dormcool experiencecell doorsolitary confinementbring earplugsbyward markethard boiled eggsentire floorlight sleepertop floorparliament hillfree breakfaststayed here for one nightcommon areasshort staythe location is perfect
Reviewed 18 February 2018

This hostel is in a old jail and the unique decor of this place constantly reminds you of this. We had a double cell as a room. A little more pricey then the dorm but it really ha the jail feeling. The cell was quite cozy actually. We had just enough room for ourselves and our luggage. We where right by the kitchen and breakfast hall. We had a great time to visit the floors above. Cozy TV room but cable not working on big tv. Friendly front desk staff. This place is very well located and a great deal for the area. I do recommend!

Room Tip: Payer plus pour experience en cellule.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

When we checked in we thought WOW this is cool you actually stay in a cell. Great right....Not!!!! Up stairs to shower and shared washroom in a utility closet that was clean but sketchy. Futon bed with ANTS for company. Excellent bed partners for a romantic Valentine day So be advised if you like to share stay here. Young man at the front desk refunded our money for the nights we were going to stay but not the night we stayed. Really not acceptable! I am well travelled and this is a warning for those looking for an adventure...stay away unless you like crawly bed partners!!!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
HI-Ottawa, Responsable relations publiques at HI Ottawa Jail Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Hello Jaymev1,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. We have showers and washrooms on almost every floor and have recently worked on improving our signage to ensure these were clearly visible to our guests.

We have also never been aware of an ants problem at the hostel and encourage our guests not to bring food on the cell floors. We’ll look into it to make sure this is not a recurring issue.

Again, I’m sorry to hear that your Valentine day didn’t go as planned, but we hope you did enjoy the rest of your stay in Ottawa!

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Do you wanna feel like a real bad convicted person? You can sleep in a private one bed jail (no space for anything but the mattress, literally!). Do you wanna have a free tour of the entire prison? They take place every morning!
Looking for complimentary breakfast? They'll have that too! Along with smiling and polite staff that will most definitely cheer you up and help you organising your day!

A downside I noticed is maybe on the will of keeping everything as much similar to what it looked in the past as possible (for instance for the bathrooms this means no fan and not the best comforts). But if one is able to adapt to this small hassles a stay is yet highly recommended!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed here while we where in Ottawa for a weekend. Its location is amazing and you have a walking distance to everthing!
But for every floor there is only one toilett and there where pipes going through our room that made allt of noice all the time so we had a hard time sleeping.
The persons in the reception are nice, but in the breakfast the other staff did not even say Hello.
It is okey and very close to everthing so I would probably be able to stay in hostel again if I was looking for something cheap and close to everthing in town.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Camilla L
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

So myself and friend arrived to be told that the original price we had found online was now $10 more as we were not members, then it was $12 more for the car, ok so that took us to $118 for a private room. So we decided to get a shared room, room was fine the windows were leaking beds were uncomfortable but the room was average. We tried to get an early nights sleep but was woken up around 8 times some being the people in the room packing their bags at midnight but most of all because the pipes were so loud in our room making various noises from sounding like a grinding sound to sounding like somebody was hitting the pipes with a hammer. Breakfast was pretty average, staff were okay. Bar was closed.
Won't be returning.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alisia C
Jeff D, Manager at HI Ottawa Jail Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Hello Alisia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All of the feedback we receive helps us to target the areas where we need improvement.
I wanted to let you know that the difference in price, although listed on all of our websites, has been a problem in the past. I would like you to know that as of the end of this week, we will rectify this problem by listing our non-member prices online, and be offering the discount to members once they arrive. I hope that this will help to solve this problem entirely.
In terms of the parking, I can understand your point of view. However, $12.00 for a private parking lot in downtown Ottawa is by far the cheapest option, and we like to keep it low for our guests.
I am very sorry to hear that your experience wasn't a pleasant one. I do hope that our reception staff did their best to possibly move you into a quieter area or room.
I hope that you'll give us a chance to win you over on your next trip, and feel free to contact me directly the next time you're in Ottawa.
-Jeff. Assistant General Manager.