“Affordable well-located boutique hotel with lots of welcome touches”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of ARC The Hotel

ARC The Hotel
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto, Ontario
“Affordable well-located boutique hotel with lots of welcome touches”
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Clean, comfortable and well-designed boutique hotel with nice touches (good linens and toiletries, excellent lighting, lots of towels, bubbly on arrival, chocolates, prettily bagged apple at bedtime, paper in the morning). Extensive in-room dining options, including a generous Continental breakfast. I'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JLDToronto
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
ARC The.Hotel is thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a recommendation of our property and we do hope that you will return on your next trip to Ottawa.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel on a long weekend. I am an avid boutique-hotel goer and avoid the big chains when I can. This hotel gives the impression that it is a boutique hotel, sadly, it is not.

Pros:
Good location
VERY comfortable bed by any standard

Cons:
Room is very poorly light. You can't see anything
Room is tiny (less than 250sq feet)
Bathroom is not very large
They charge $10 per day PER device for Wifi (most boutique hotels don't charge for this)
Staff is indifferent, not warm or friendly at all
AC is extremely loud, make the comfortable bed useless and the noise will be annoying
Front desk staff is unpleasant. (i.e. when you come in, they look at you, but nobody greets you)

Overall, this is not a 4-star boutique hotel. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WldTrvlrmtl
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review ARC The.Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our services to be helpful and useful. I will be sure to share your comments with my guest services team. I would also like to advise that our WiFi includes up to 8 devices per room. We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed 19 - 20 May. While the room was fairly trendy, it was incredibly small and everything seemed old and worn (which was odd considering the modern look). The AC was very loud as well. The parking is expensive, but this is something that you should be prepared for in Ottawa. The green apple was a nice touch and the soaps and shampoo in the room are definitely high end. The towels were pretty plush and the bedding felt new (although the AC was insanely loud). My room was an adjoining room (with a door) and you could hear EVERYTHING from the room next door (and I am sure they could hear from my room as well.

All in all, not a horrible stay, but definitely not a 4 star hotel and I'm not staying there again. There are way too many other options to stay somewhere like that again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philipGood
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
While we are delighted to hear that your overall stay was to your satisfaction we would like to offer our sincerest apologies for teh volume of the air conditioning. Ottawa has been experiencing an exceptionally hot summer and these systems have been working hard to maintain a comfortable environment for our guests. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences and we do hope that this will not prevent you from staying with us in the future.
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I booked this hotel using Booking.com and I couldn't have been happier. The room was not that large but the bed was too die for!!! So comfortable. We met some other guests in the elevator and the first thing they said was how lovely the bed was. The staff were fantastic and the housekeeping staff did an excellent job, also very friendly too. It's about a ten minute walk down to the Byward Market area, where we had fantastic Tapas at Play, not bad prices also. the next evening we went to Victoria Trattoria also excellent. The Black Thorn Cafe does a lovely brunch and the staff are very friendly. Lovely patio for people watching, or as my husband did, car watching!

Room Tip: Always ask for a room away from the elevators and ice machine.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for your recommendation of ARC The.Hotel, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and our unbeatable location in Downtown Ottawa. We will look forward to welcoming you back.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed at the hotel June 26 - 28. The parking is terrible with very little spots out front of the hotel. The room was very small and the AC sounded like a Jet. The amenities in the room didn't work (ie) alarm clock, weight scale, coffee maker

Another problem was the internet provided in the lounge. If there is a private function going on you're unable to use the internet until the event is over. Why have the internet located there, if its restricted during functions?

I brought my concerns up with the front desk and was offered to switch rooms for the last night of the stay (declined as it was already late and didn't want to move everything for a night) Offered free breakfast, but wasn't up early enough to use (limited hours for breakfast) I was told I could speak with a manager in the morning and see if they could do more. To my surprise I was told she was in meetings all day, however, she was right behind the front desk in the room booking reservations. She eventually came out and spoke to me and frown upon me as I booked with a 3rd party side (priceline) and her hands were tied as if they offered me a nights free of valet parking they would lose money by having me as a guest.

I will never stay at this hotel again. No way this is a 4 star hotel. Spend the extra money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Scott4star
, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Feedback is always welcome at ARC The.Hotel. We will do whatever it takes to provide our guests with a wonderful hotel experience and to immediately correct any shortcomings that may occur. We apologize that we did not provide you with a free night stay in spite of your threats to post a negative review on this forum unless we did so. Trip advisor is a forum for honest reviews (positive and negative) not a weapon to be used for personal gain.

For the benefit of current and future guests, ARC The.Hotel provides both wireless and hard wired internet access throughout the hotel; access is always available regardless of the functions that are taking place through the day. As well the amenities detailed as not functioning in this review were checked and found to be fully functional the same day that they were reported.