“Just Amazing”

Sur Lie French Restaurant Ottawa
Reserve with OpenTable
Sur Lie French Restaurant Ottawa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #154 of 2,805 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 41
Description: Sur Lie Restaurant features modern french cuisine in a pleasant cozy environment. Located in the center of Ottawa's Byward market it is a popular destination for both locals and tourists. The restaurant features one of the best patios in the city for those warm months. The main Chef, Nick works incredibly hard to surprise the clientele with ever changing menu.
Reviewed 26 April 2017

My sister took me to Sur-Lie for my birthday, and everything from the food to the service to the environment was outstanding.
We had the 5 course tasting menu, sea bream crudo, potato leek soup, local rabbit (this dish was my favorite), venison, finished with a raspberry shortcake dessert. The food and the portions were great. The drinks were very good as well. Our waiter, Simon, recommended one of their signature cocktails, Saffron Sour, which was very refreshing.
Service overall was top notch, our drinks were never empty, our waiter was very attentive and explained all the dishes to us as they came. One of the owners came over to say hello, as well as the chef brought us a homemade chocolate orange, which was a clementine rind soaked in syrup then filled with homemade chocolate ice cream, he explained the process to make it which was pretty cool.
The atmosphere in the restaurant was very relaxing, never did we feel rushed to finish our meal. I will be back for sure, this is now one of my favourite restaurants.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sur Lie French Restaurant Ottawa

Reviewed 19 April 2017

This new restaurant is definitely the up and comer in the area. Really enjoyed our visit. There were four of us and we all had the taster menu. It was very entertaining and lived up to taste expectations. Very interesting choice of food and really well prepared. Loved the environment and in spite of being busy it was not noisy. The waiter service was excellent, non intrusive but attentive. Great experience. A bit pricey but we knew that before we went.

Reviewed 17 April 2017

The food was good. Much of the appeal is in presentation, which might be extremely refreshing for some Ottawa diners. Lovely colours.

But you can find fine dining that tastes just as good in Ottawa that has more to it - more inventive plates, or more dedication to the flavour and texture, or literally more in terms of portions.

I went in a group of six and together we'd had most of their mains, we found that overall there was a lack of balance of flavour in each dish, and a tendency for it to be overly rich even though we ate slowly and sipped wine throughout).

I mean, Sur Lie's food is better than many places in Ottawa, but it's in the lower end of my list of GOOD restaurants in Ottawa. Factor in the price for that level of "decent", that knocks it down to "Okay". I've never minded paying the price for a good meal, but it has to be warranted and even in Ottawa there are several fine dining restaurants that I prefer. Sur Lie has nothing totally wrong, but nothing special. I've heard people raving (makes sense as it is a new restaurant in a hot spot that has decent tasting food, a rare thing), so maybe I'm in the minority. But I prefer Das Lokal, Gezellig, The Albion Rooms, Whalesbone, and several more casual places, personally.
Our waitress was really really good.

Reviewed 15 April 2017

Nice building, high expectations. The service was first rate, but it was downhill from there. The cocktail was poured together, not properly mixed. The Winter Vegetable starter sounded nice on paper, but was just pretty with nothing to bite into. Half of one Brussel sprout, half a coloured carrot, drops of different purées and so on. With more consistency it would have been good. The risotto was pretty Ok in taste, but served on a flat plate the quantity was limited. So still hungry I ordered ice cream. Four pretty little dollops with broken digestive biscuit around. The place was nice enough but noisy. Some curtains or other soft furnishings would have helped us hear each other better. Overall it was a bit like a sad copy of The Albion Rooms, which really is much nicer.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

I have eaten twice at this restaurant and have to say the food keeps getting better!! The are a new restaurant so you except the service staff to be a bit slow while they work on finding the right servers for this type of food, but both experiences I have had have been great! The staff paid attention to food allergies and service was fast. The food is exceptional, you cannot find food like this anywhere else in this city! I had scallops the second time and they were to die for!!! I will be going back many more times to see what else the chef comes up with!!! Recommended to anyone that loves food and understands what good food is!!! Wine is great as well and dessert is delicious!