“Very impressed!”

Restaurante Caravela
Ranked #301 of 3,111 Restaurants in Ottawa
Description: Chef Jose Lemos has been serving both quality interpretations of classic dishes and daring new ventures into the uncharted territories of food. Caravela's interior, designed by the award-winning Richard Bergeron, reflects the hip sensibilities of the surrounding area while also paying tribute to Portugal's storied past. The 50 seater restaurant offers the choice to observe passers-by or sit comfortably by the bar or intimately in this neat modern space.
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Went there with my hubby and kids for his birthday. Very good food and atmosphere. Service was excellent. Our waiter recommended the grilled fish (fish of the day) and we all ended up ordering the same thing. Fish was excellent, cooked to perfection! Will definitely go back!

Reviewed 24 March 2017

I went to lunch there with a friend to celebrate a special event. The owner made you feel very comfortable. They first serve olives and bread with delicious whipped pimento pepper butter. We had the Portuguese white wine which had a slight fizz and was really nice paired with the haddock we had. The haddock, vegetables and rice was nicely prepared. We split two deserts, the coffee cake which was light and the egg tart, both slightly sweetened (not much). Afterwards the bartender (catching on that it was a special event) surprised us with a special Portuguese liquor which was absolutely tasty. The cook also gave us a taste try of another heavenly dish with beans and shrimp. I would strongly recommend this place. Book in advance for dinner on a weekend. We asked and they were already booked solid for the next two weeks.

Reviewed 20 March 2017

A very nice... and small... new restaurant. We had our first visit last Saturday and we were fortunate to have had a reservation. We were served by Rico, that we knew from the former El Meson, another Portuguese restaurant that closed a few years back to be replaced by Clarkstown Kitchen and Bar. My wife and I discovered that you need a big appetite to eat the arroz di marisco (her) and the cataplana (me). In both cases, the monk fish was uneatable... all bones... bad choice from the chef. But all else was good. We will be back to test the rest of the menu. Limited choice of desserts.

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

I went with friends and we were all very happy with the food, especially the grilled octopus, which my friend couldn't stop raving about. The whole fish was good but not outstanding, and while I can comfortable spitting fish bones, not everyone is willing to eat that authentically. The service was uneven as our waitress was new and didn't know the menu that well. It is a tight space, and loud fellow patrons are definitely felt and heard. However, it's new and a work in progress, and I would definitely recommend and go again.

Reviewed 8 March 2017

My husband and I ate at Carvela's a few weeks ago and loved it. The unique décor was very warm and inviting. The atmosphere was relaxing and the food was outstanding. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the service was second to none. We had a exquisite Portuguese red wine, which was paired perfectly with our meal. Everything we ordered was full of flavor!! We will definitely be back for another great meal experience! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves great authentic Portuguese food and looking for and scrumptious meal!