“There's a reason for the long line-ups”
Review of Sansotei Ramen

Sansotei Ramen
Ranked #36 of 3,112 Restaurants in Ottawa
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Have now been to (all?) 3 specialized ramen places in Ottawa. This one is by far the best, and the only one that's memorable.
It's about the food quality and taste here. Ambiance is OK, service is rushed and a bit confused. No reservations, and you're likely to have to line up outside at peak periods. Choice is limited. But they don't need to fuss about any of this, since they're great at what matters. Prices can't really be called cheap (compared to, pho, say), but very fair given what goes into it and portion sizes.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

If you're looking for ramen, look no further! This small, modern-Japanese decor spot hits all the points for ramen and it's the only one in the city.

Often super busy, it's not uncommon to have to wait in between the double doors or outside on the street (make sure you're dressed for it), but the ramen is worth the wait!

Large portions for great prices, the food is flavourful and delicious.

The service is super quick and even if you have to wait in line, you won't wait long as the turn around is very fast and tables and constantly opening up.

Easily the best ramen in Ottawa!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Have been here a couple of times. Food is consistently good. Prices are very good, especially when you consider the portion sizes. I would recommend this place for good Ramen!

Reviewed 10 March 2018

I visited for dinner in March 2018. When I arrived (a bit early for dinner, just before 6) the small restaurant was already lined up out the door onto the street. I had a real hankering though, and was #5 in line, so I decided to stick it out. By the time I was seated maybe 10 minutes later, there were at least 10 people in line behind me.

The restaurant is small and busy, with every table always full. The crowd was talkative but I had headphones in, so I didn't mind. Not sure this place would be good if you were looking for a quiet candlelit chat.

The servers were friendly and used what Japanese they could loyally, though it was clearly not a native tongue. The food came very quickly; and I could see tables constantly changing - this place does a high volume, don't plan to tarry after your meal.

As for the food, I had the gyoza to start, and the Miso Black Ramen as a main. The prices were reasonable, thought he MIso black was quite expensive compared to the rest of the menu. I added an egg and extra cha-shu (pork belly)

The only confusion was the noodle type... I went with thick as it seemed to be the right one for Ramen, but some pictures on the menu would help speed the process up.

The gyoza were hot, perfectly crisp, and a decent serving of 6 - served with the sesame oil and vinegar mix for dipping... just perfect.

Once the Ramen arrived I could see why the price was so much higher, and regretted adding to it. It was loaded with 3 fantastic slices of pork, a beautiful pickled egg. The broth was oily and wonderful, with sesame, and plenty of flavor. It was an absolute pleasure and would have made a fine meal on its own; i left uncomfortably full when added to the gyoza and extra toppings.

Drinks did seem pricey, so I wouldn't reccomend it for a nightcap, but the ramen makes it worth the visit.

All in all, it was excellent and authentic. I would visit again, and look forward to trying other options from their menu.

1  Thank Kitaguma
Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I was in Ottawa for business and found this Ramen place close to my hotel.

It was about 430pm when I walked by and there were a few people in line. I want hungry yet, so came back and hour later. The line up was double on size now!

I figured the line would move fast and in the cold weather, my mind was set on having ramen.

I'm so glad I waited! I tried the Miso Black with thick noodles. YUM! It was soooo good!!! My hubby had the Tan Tan, but I found that there was an overpowering flavor from the bamboo shoots that I didn't care for. The soup came out hot and the noodles were cooked just right!

We also had the black sesame crepe cake. It was just ok.

Been to Sansotei Ramen? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK