“Only two nights, but we wish we could've stayed longer at John's Gate”

John's Gate Gourmet Bed and Breakfast
Arvada
“Only two nights, but we wish we could've stayed longer at John's Gate”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We arrived at John's Gate Gourmet Bed & Breakfast after a long drive, made a bit longer by the fact that we used our GPS to find it, when we should've used the directions she had emailed us, but we forgot about them. Our first plan was to visit Niagara Falls, and Meheroo gave us directions via the Scenic Route, which I highly recommend...rather than highway. It was too chilly for us to rent bikes and ride around Niagara-on-the-Lake, but I was glad it was a possibility, because I'd love to return and ride a bike everywhere. It is a very bike-friendly area.

Our room was upstairs, as are the two other rooms at John's Gate. House slippers are provided each guest, and so there's a shoe removal "station" at the bottom of the stairs, which is right inside the front door. There's a spacious porch on two sides of the house, with comfortable seating, and in the next couple of weeks, lots of pots of flowering plants will beautify it even more.

We had a bright corner room: windows on two sides. There is adequate lighting, and unlike the two hotels we stayed at on this trip prior to John's Gate, all the lights worked. The bathroom is also well-lit, both by the window, and the lighting. The stairs and upper landing have motion-activated lighting. I appreciate this - it means no light bleed around the edges of the door (from a hall light left on all night), disturbing my sleep. I would prefer a darker room, though, for sleeping, i.e. opaque shades vs the mini-blinds.

Everything was extremely clean. The towels were wonderful.
The breakfast was as gourmet and delicious as can be. Meheroo is definitely on top of the trends there! And she gave my husband (who is 6'4") an extra helping. There is an inviting seating area in front of a gas log fireplace, which she turned on at my request one cold evening, explaining how to operate it, so we could turn it on and off.

Our hostess was warm & helpful. She has furnished her B & B (built in 1999, but in character with the 100+-year-old homes in the neighborhood) with antiques and comfortable reproductions. Her large wood dining table was always set with place mats and chargers and a large vase of fresh flowers - a visual feast.

1 Thank AmyTheCatholic
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My husband and I spend a weekend at John's gate this past April. We coudn't have asked for more, the rooms were extreamly clean and bright. Our host Meheroo was so nice, and so helpful (she inquired about our bike rentals and even made our restaurant reservations for us) And the breakfast is really something special. We were given a three course breakfast meal, all home cooked and so so delicious. We would deffinelty go back there, we absolutly loved our experince!!!

Buffalo
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at John's Gate (April 26th) while we were visiting Niagara on the Lake to see a show. We were extremely happy with the courteous service, clean surroundings and fabulous morning breakfast. Our room was sunny and bright and it was a pleasant walk into town from John's Gate. Right down the street from The Pillar and Post, where we enjoyed a lovely dinner. For my husband Gary and I it was a perfect getaway from Buffalo for the night. Nancy

1 Thank BuffaloNancy
Toronto
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The owner/operator of this B&B "Meheroo" was absolutely amazing! My girlfriend and I stayed there for a night during the second week of March 2012. Our needs were tended to with great care especially breakfast. Me being the picky one when it comes to food was very quickly presented with an alternative breakfast which turned out to be fantastic, especially the homemade blueberry sauce! The room was picture perfect and very clean which is definitely important when spending the night away from the comfort of your own bed. Was very nice to know that during our stay we had unlimited and complimentary WIFI which came in handy when relaxing in the evening while watching NETFLIX on my trusty iPhone.

I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone that is planning to spend a few days in Niagara on the Lake. Not only do you have the pleasure of all that I have mentioned above but she, the owner will also arrange a package for you. For us, it was the shuttled wine tour with dinner included and it was perfect!

We shall return! :-)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 March 2012

A very clean and attractive B&B. Highly recommend it! Host was friendly, helpful and prepared a wonderful breakfeast. Worth staying there just for the food!
I would always come back - keep a winner when you find one!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends