“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Just returned for a really relaxing two night stay in this hotel. Came on a Team Buy voucher. Always wanted to try this place out and this gave us a good excuse to get a deal on it. Check in was a breeze, and staff were all very friendly. The room was spacious and a standard room is like a suite. Big comfy king sized bed, and everything was super clean and fresh.

We had a gigantic bathroom with a steam shower. With that and the water jets going it was great to have a long, relaxing shower. Didn't want to get out! The other half was getting over a cold so the steam cleared the head right up. The breakfast delivered in the morning was perfect, light and healthy. We had a voucher included to use at AG and it was fantastic, easily the best and most creative food we've had in the Falls. The whole stay was really a treat, would gladly pay full price to stay here again.

Parking is free which is rare for the area. The outside of the building looks kind of blah but that all changes when you enter the beautiful lobby. It's an easy 10 minute walk to Casino Niagara. Fallsview Casino is a bit further at about a 20 minute walk. Clifton Hill is close, but it's one of the few hotels in the area that's not designed for kids but rather for relaxing.

5 Thank abigllama
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
Kaaawa, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

The rooms at this hotel are beautiful, large and SO relaxing, and with the fireplace and spa bath you really feel as though you are staying in the Alps. The breakfast is plentiful, healthy and delicious--best croissants this side of Paris. I'd stay here if you had a trip to Toronto planned; it's about an hour away, but the price and luxury make it so worth the drive--a similar room in the city would be upwards of 400 a night. A bonus is the toiletries--they are by a company called Organix, and are so good I tried to get them in full size, but they are only made for hotels. When I go to the Sterling, I treat my self to a "spa" experience in the privacy of my own room.

This place is the perfect romantic getaway for those times when you don't even want to leave the room. Also, the mattresses are very firm.

The only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars is that sometimes things like the mantle and the blinds are dusty. With the other plus factors, that's not much of a detractor for me!

Room Tip: They are all beautiful
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank laursie10
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I arrived late on a Friday evening, and the check-in went without a hitch and the receptionist was very friendly. I walked into room 222 and upon walking in the room looked lovely, until I went all the way into the room and there was a very loud noise . This noise was so loud that standing by the bed you could actually feel the floor vibrations. I'm not one to normally complain but I knew there was no way I would be able to sleep with this noise. It was like having a freight train or airport right beside the hotel.

I went down to the reception and asked to move, he explained they were fully booked and that they couldn't move me that night but they would send someone to the roof and see if they could fix the problem, ( the furnace?) I said that would be appreciated. He was very friendly and came to the room and acknowledged that this was a big problem and told me that he could move me the next day and that this has happened before and that it usually stops around 11pm. I'm not sure why it could, but I didn't have much choice at that point. He said that he was very sorry and that the manager would acknowledge this and do something about it.

Let's just say the noise never stopped and would constantly change so I couldn't get any rest. I went out to the couch and read my book just to get some quiet. It was so bad it gave me a headache. It was a horrible, so avoid this room! I did get a new room the next day and it was great!! I do realize the floors are squeaky and somewhat warped, but both rooms were very clean and looked great. I feel sorry for the person who got that room the next night.

If you have any problems, forget about hearing from the manager. There was not even an acknowledgement for the inconvenience. I understand I had a great deal through Group On but considering I would have rather stayed home the first night it really was not a good deal.

All in all I would recommend the hotel if you can avoid room 222. Also the hotel restaurant AG was fantastic.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Britnes
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Amazing hotel, unique decor & wonderful service! This was our second stay within 3 months since we enjoyed it so much. The couples massage at the spa is a must!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Soyer
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I should have known from the call I placed to book the hotel. I asked the woman who answered the phone where the acommodation prices were listed on the website. Her response was that she was really busy and I should look on the website(?!). I explained that I was already on the website and couldn't find them and she said "I don't have time for this right now, call back later".

This was our second time at Sterling. The first was fantastic and that's why we went back. Unfortunately there was a problem with loudly squeaking vents in our room on the second floor so we asked that it be looked into while we were having a spa treatment. After the treatment we found nothing had been done and had to chase down someone and ask. Apparently there had been a shift change so nothing was done. The manager said he would show us another room but all he did was send someone up with keys to a room with exactly the same problem. After some arguing we ended up in a room on the first floor but were told we would have to move for our second night.

There were also issues with the spa - they ended up giving us two seperate treatments by the same person when we were each supposed to have our own, so we both received a half-assed job (the mud wrap consisted of 5 minutes of slapping some mud on about 3/4 or my arms and legs and a bit on my back and a 5 minute scalp massage - not worth $120!). When we spoke with the manager prior to having these services we were told to go down to the spa and they weere calling someone else in. We would not have gone had we known they would have one person do both services. And they had the nerve to charge us full price for this! We were also supposed to get a %15 discount on spa services and this was a bit of a hassle because the spa said we could speak to the manager and the manager told us to speak to the next manager the following day.

The main issue we had, was that if someone had been apologetic or actually looked like they cared about us, we would have had a different experience. We just found that the staff were dismissive, unhelpful, and did not care about our needs, (or even what we paid for) at all.

• 2 of 5 bubbles