“Disappointed with outdated decor and rooms - not value for money spent.”

Clifton Victoria Inn at the Falls
Ranked #25 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto
“Disappointed with outdated decor and rooms - not value for money spent.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Booked this for the water park package. Although the staff were nice, it could not compensate for the room. Below expectations for a Hampton Inn by Hilton especially when the charge for the room itself (shown on the bill) is $169!!!

1. Furnishings and decor were old and dated. Overall feel icky.
2. Lighting in the rooms were dark and gloomy.
3. Two bedroom suite had full screen doors / window that faced inwards, which made it gloomier.
4. NO CONNECTED BRIDGE to the water park. We had to walk outdoors and cross the road with the kids to get there. Very inconvenient. Will try Skyline Inn next time - it has a sky bridge connecting it to the water park and looks better. We walked back this way when leaving the water park and skyline looked so much newer, safer and cleaner.
5. Overall no sense of security in the premises. Parking lot was secluded. No safety deposit box to keep your stuff - u need to leave the stuff at the front desk.
6. Disappointing facilities. No fridge. Small pool.

The staff were nice and very responsive and the free breakfast, wifi and parking nice to have, but sadly, this isn't enough to make us want to come back and stay in this sad place again. Will try other nearby ones next time for the water park packages.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank traveller1688
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

This hotel is ranked 4th on Trip Advisor? Are you serious? Hampton is really slacking off on this location as if they were coasting on guaranteed tourism. To summarize, let me just work off some of the negative reviews here on TA… Room/hallways are old, outdated, and in need of maintenance and renovation.

Located on 5591 Victoria Avenue at the edge of the Clifton District… Book this hotel if you are looking for value, have low expectations, and not looking for anything glamorous.

My notes on the hotel:

* Breakfast- like business hotels that serves breakfast, I thought it was a good perk and was satisfied.
* On the fourth floor, there is a door by the elevators that opens out onto a fourth floor roof. Ummm, safety hazard for kids and just waiting for a lawsuit to happen.
* Location – close proximity to Cliffton Hill (a block away) if you can handle the tacky tourist-trap carnival-like atmosphere of the Cliffton district. May also be out-of-the-way walk to Niagara Pkwy/ Maid of the Mist.
* Ice machines – only 1 working.
* Coffee – was constantly empty; staff didn’t refill.
* Elevators – slow.
* Free parking.
* No shuttles.
* Room cleanliness – average but we were satisfied. The room was just outdated for my tastes.
* Front desk – Midway into my stay I inquired about Waterpark packages. The guy brings up a rate that was less than I was paying. I question it. Then he plays it off like it was meant for something else. Way to make me feel better about how much I paid for my room.
* Check in – They didn’t have my reservation. Luckily I had a hard-copy of my email confirmation as proof.

Hope that helps. Maybe I was needing something a little more sophisticated, but next time I will probably try the Fallsview District (around the intersection of Murray St and Fallsview Blvd). We often found ourselves envying this area every time we drove by or visited.

If I were to do the Clifton District again though, I would probably try the Sheraton on the Falls or the Crowne Plaza.

Here is a quick trip-report - We still had a nice vacation:

* With lodging aside, our overall experience at Niagara Falls was great.
* I recommend purchasing the Niagara Falls “Adventure Pass” which covers: Maid of the Mist, Journey Behind the Falls, Niagara's Fury, and White Water Walk. This was the highlight of our vacation.
* We stayed 2 nites. I recommend no more that 3 nites. We covered everything we wanted to do with just 2 nights.
* Casino Niagra – dullest casino I’ve ever been to. Will check out the Fallsview Casino next time.
* Dining – expensive. Nothing special to eat at Niagara in my opinion.
* “People Mover” – transportation system for Adventure Pass-holders. Comes every 20 minutes. Green/black/white double bus.
* Bring your car to the White Water Walk. There is free parking. Its 3-5 miles from Horseshoe Falls.

Cliffton Hill District:

We spent night-time at the Cliffton Hill District and purchased what I think was called a Fun Package I think? It covered 6 cheesy attractions…
- Mystery Maze: Deceiving; its actually outdoor and disgusting with flies everywhere. My young kid didn’t notice though.
- Guinness World Record: average, but we stayed entertained.
- Haunted House: cheesy, but I had a blast scaring my older kid.
- Fun House: whole family had fun laughing and running around here.
- Brick City: a joke; 3 bins of legos. Might as well go to your local Lego store and play with the samples.
- Brontos Adventure Playland: my young kid enjoyed.

All 6 of these attractions are located on 1 side of Cliffton Hill street. The package was around $24/kid and $30/adults. Anyway, it was a complete waste of money, BUT it occupied the kids, they enjoyed it and we had good quality family time. Keep in mind that each of these attractions will come out to lets say around 10-minutes/each, so get ready to feel cheated lol. It seems like they are all owned by the same people that owns Travelodge, Ruby Tuesday, and a couple gift shops where most of these attractions lead you to at the end of the attraction.

In summary, go to Niagara to experience the waterfalls. The Cliffton District is only supplementary. Next time, my stay will be at a hotel room with a view of the falls. Also, don't forget about the Niagara Falls Adventure Pass.
=)

Room Tip: Interior rooms face inward with views of the lobby/atrium. They either have a balcony or a sliding d...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank LetsGoWhiteSox
Northwood, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

I stayed here after travelling all day from Ohio to east Toronto and wanted something back towards the Fort Erie/Buffalo area. I didn't get to the hotel until around 12:30am. There was no traffic so I found the hotel with no problem and was able to pull right up to the front. The hotel was ok. Nothing spectacular, not nearly as nice as other Hampton Inns. When you walk in the front door you are right in the breakfast area which has the pool right beside it and all you can smell is the chlorine from the pool.

After getting checked in, I moved my vehicle from the front door to the parking lot. The entrance to the building to get to the rooms and the hallway the elevators are in could use some sprucing up. I felt a little uneasy about it, especially late at night. The room was nice, it looks like they may have recently (in the last year or two) renovated it but it still looks dated. The carpets were awful. I took my socks off was walked across the floor and the carpets had a film or greasy feeling to them. I put my shoes back on and didn't touch the floor again.

When I got to my room shortly before 1 am there were bags of laundry out in the hallway just outside my room. I didn't find that too great. Why wasn't that taken care of during the day?

Overall, I might stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ohnostargazer
Ontario's Near North, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

I was pleased with the affordability of the family suite, and very happy that parking, the continental breakfast and wifi were free! The staff were great; the room was clean, as was the rest of the hotel.
The decor and furnishings were dated, but we didn't mind as it was just a place to sleep and store our things while we visited the local attractions.

Room Tip: The a/c worked TOO well in our room!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lish66
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

My boyfriend decided to surprise me with a romantic getaway which was much needed for both of us. The Hampton Inn was just alright. The location was great as the weather was pretty nice that weekend so once we parked up at the hotel we were able to walk to the attractions. We had a suite that was tucked away at the end of a hall by itself so we were never disturbed or heard any noise. The suite had a heart shaped jacuzzi in the room which was a nice touch and the bed was comfortable but other than that it was a large room with not much else. You can see that the hotel is in need of some renovations. The bathroom in the suite was very small, the lock didnt work and the toilet is tucked away behind the door. The shower is very small, if I was a bigger person that shower would definitely be uncomfortable! We never used the pool as it was small and constantly full of children. The free wifi was a nice addition although we had agreed no phones for the weekend and the waffle makers at breakfast made us actually want to get up for breakfast in the mornings!
Hampton Inn served its purpose but probably will not return. If you are looking for a place to stay where you wont be staying in your room much and will be out exploring its definitely a great place to stay but if you want a romantic weekend where half of the time will be in the room you should pick a place that from the moment you walk in your in aww, this wasnt it for me!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple