“Cheap manager”

Travelodge Niagara Falls Hotel by the Falls
Ranked #39 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My family was here in the summer. The fire alarm broke out at about 1:30 am and all guests had to be out. Some guests came down with bare feet. Not until 4:00 am we returned to the room and had a bad night sleep. The next day I asked the manager to discount or give a compensation coupon for our sleeping problem, the front desk asked me to wait. Then I waited for an hour, the answer was no compensate for anything. I have pictures for that night.

Room Tip: When the guest complained and the event was caused by the Hotel, the manager should know how to hand...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Travelodge15997, General Manager at Travelodge Niagara Falls Hotel by the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2011

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in Niagara Falls.
However, I do believe that you have mistaken our hotel with another property.
I personally do not recall any Fire Alarms going off this summer. To ensure that I was not mistaken, I spoke to Front Desk Staff and they do not recall any Fire Alarms.
I would like to be able to assist you but unfortunately you have reviewed the wrong hotel.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Niagara Falls Hotel by the Falls

Reviewed 2 November 2011

The Travelodge was inexpensive, clean, a great location and the staff were very hospitable.
Our room was clean and spacious. Everything we needed was within 15 min walking distance in any direction. We enjoyed a very pleasant, peaceful stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Travelodge15997, Manager at Travelodge Niagara Falls Hotel by the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff work very hard at ensuring all our guests have an enjoyable stay. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, the staff and I value your business.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Dear Manager,

I would just like to take a moment to advise you of the experience that we had at your hotel last weekend 10/15/11. I had a friend visiting from out of town and I thought it would nice to take her down to the Falls and show her around. We decided to make this a group trip as we often do when we do down to Niagara. We booked five rooms and paid for them in advance. We had never stayed at the Travelodge before but we found a great deal and decided to give this hotel a chance.

When we arrived we parked in front of the hotel and I went in to the front desk to inquire about parking while we were checking in. I was greeted by Alexandra who instead of offering me a welcoming smile, very rudely informed me that there is no parking available until we checked in. I went outside to let the rest of me group know that we could bring in our belongings and check in before parking.

This is where everything went completely downhill. Alexandra is absolutely the rudest and the most unwelcoming front desk staff member that I have ever encountered. We were being attended to by a man named Robert, who was very friendly and helpful. It seemed as though any question that we asked Robert, Alexandra felt like she needed to answer. Normally I would not have a problem with this as I expect that your employees all work together as a team, but the manner in which Alexandra responded to us was completely unacceptable.

She informed us that we would be charged for the rooms before confirming whether or not these rooms had been paid. We advised her that everything was paid for upfront and this immediately became an issue as Alexandra became very argumentative and defensive. Robert informed us that there would be a $50.00 deposit held on each room because we booked five rooms. Alexandra then rudely told Robert that they would be holding a $100.00 for each room. I’m not sure what your policy is but it is not appropriate to be discussing it in front of the guest and should have been dealt with before we arrived. This made us feel as if the issue was not the amount of the deposit to be held but that the problem was with us. At this point we let Alexandra know that were checking in with Robert and not her, to which she responded that if we were not careful we would be sleeping in the pen. Wow!! This is unbelievable! When I asked Alexander for a manager on duty she informed me that she was the only person available. Is this how your hotel manager treats guests???

I would like to make it clear that every other member of your staff that we dealt with was very polite and helpful and I would also like to commend Robert for his patience, considering the situation.

I spent several years working in the service industry. I have experience in hotels and restaurants and I can’t imagine treating a guest the way we were treated. If the rooms had not been paid for upfront we would not have hesitated in taking our business to another hotel. There are so many other hotels in Niagara that we would never pay to be treated this way.

Although the rest of our stay went well, this is not how we wanted to start off our evening. I normally am not a complainer but I feel like someone needs to know about the customer service provided by your hotel or lack thereof. We will not be returning to the Travelodge Hotel by the Falls.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank camille b
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Went october 9th 2011 and stayed one night. Hotel was very nice and clean from the outside. We requested rooms side by side due to family and got it as they told us on the phone. Rooms were very clean and staff was very nice. Parking was $9 a day but it was worth it. They said we can keep parking the whole day after we check out which was awsome. There was free wifi and it was good speed. The website says free breakfast if u book with website, we booked by phone and still got the breakfast at smittys down stairs. The breakgast was good unlike other hotels. We got 4 free breakfast and paid for one person which was only $7.99. good location and good hotel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you for your great feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, I hope you will return in the near future.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

We were wary of the modest 2 star rating but saw good reviews (4.1/ 5 average) for this hotel. Besides, almost all hotels had heavily hiked up rates (or cut discounts from their rack rates) during this busy July 4 weekend so this at $123 (with breakfast for two) per day was a good deal. So we booked with some trepidation.

But once there we had a great experience. The desk staff was friendly and very helpful. Our room on the 9th floor was large, very clean (as was the bathroom) and topped the adjoining building. It gave us a good view, including of the Niagara fireworks display from the unusually shaped (in a good sense) windows. The beds were nice and comfortable and my wife (to whom this aspect matters more than to me) slept well. The hotel was full but we didn't hear any external noise.

The daily parking rate of C$9 was reasonable (we'd love free parking but most hotels here charge for it and this was among the lower rates) and you can keep the car parked in their adjoining lot till the end of the day when you leave, well past the noon check out time.

The breakfast for two was decent and served at the table, available right till noon, though a modest quantity fixed menu type (not the unlimited "Roman orgy" types we have in many US hotels.) Ours was free as advertized on Orbitz and we had luckily printed a copy so we got the coupons - otherwise the desk staff had maintained it wasn't part of the deal, so make sure you carry a copy if it mentions free breakfast. But many websites do not have this offer, and they C$7.50 for it which is not worth it. Plenty of cheap eateries with more choice close by.

The other slightly odd thing was that they asked for an extra $20 if we wanted to check out an hour beyond the stipulated noon time - the first time I've had this response, as an hour's extension is routinely given free of charge. Since the hotel was emptying out that day (Monday, July 4th) it wasn't as if they were doing it because room availability was tight. I'd simply asked in case we got delayed seeing Niagara Falls in the morning, though we were done and gone by 11:30am so it didn't affect us. I don't recall seeing a fitness room, but we weren't looking to use one anyway.

The hotel is about a mile from the Falls, a comfortable walking distance for an average person - but it's not just 0.6 miles I recall seeing on the travel website. You could diagonally cut across the large parking lot through the Baymont Hotel opposite to save another minute or so (and I think that lot charged $5 per day for parking and was marginally closer.)

But we were very pleased overall with our hotel stay.

Room Tip: Top two stories facing the Falls have a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sanevoice

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, the staff and I value your business.