“Beware the bed bugs”

Ranked #48 of 60 Hotels in Mississauga
Ottawa, Canada
“Beware the bed bugs”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

What can I say!!! Never in my life have I experienced something like this, and I have stayed in some shady motels in my young days.
I booked this hotel due to its convenient location as a stop close to our final destination. We arrived late at night and put the kids straight to bed. BIG MISTAKE. Forget the stains on the pillows Within minutes my wife noticed the 1st bug, and it is not of the tiny variety. I thought maybe that was just one, but I was wrong again. As it is normally with bugs, more started crawling out of the pillows and on both beds. We quickly pulled the kids out of bed and proceeded to checkout.
To my shock, the management did not seem surprised or dismayed and offered us another room, but my wife insisted we leave and I concurred. The manager was so incompetent he could not even print a cancellation receipt.
We spent quite some time finding a decent hotel with availablity as I decided to go to the Pearson airport area because I could not take any more risks. As I type this from my new hotel room, I feel so betrayed by the Holiday Inn brand. I did my research on this hotel but either I did not look deep enough or some people just don't mind bugs.

If you are an entomologist, your stay there will be interesting, otherwise do yourself a favor and stay away.

Here is video evidence for your viewing displeasure (viewer discretion advised: contains gross bugs):

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank matt093
HolidayinnGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto / Mississauga, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies for the experience that you and your family encountered when you checked into your room. We are working with a third party pest control company to treat the problem which was only confirmed in the one room. The Holiday Inn Mississauga takes this very seriously. Bed bugs do not appear because of unclean conditions, unfortunately they are spread by fixing themselves to things such as clothing, luggage, taxi or airline seats on there own and often without the guest knowing that they have brought them into our hotel. We have a regular proactive inspection program and our room attendants are trained what to look for but it is by no means a perfect solution. I do regret this unfortunate incident and assure you that we do everything we can to prevent incidents such as this.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed for the weekend with a girls hockey team. The staff was very helpful and quite patient with us. The hotel was clean, the complimentary breakfast was good, and the group rate we got was great! We paid $100 per night, including breakfast! We brought little bbq's and they allowed us to have a picnic in the back parking lot. There were sixteen families in our group and I never heard anyone complain. They gave us run of the floor and a board room where we could bring in our own food and beverages, I would recommend this hotel for future events.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
HolidayinnGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto / Mississauga, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to hear you and your group had a great experience. I have shared your comments with the Team at the hotel and we all wanted to say “Thank You” for choosing to stay with us.
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Older property. Room was poorly finished, with an office chair fit for the dump. Room had not been vacuumed properly. Overall, this is below standard for Holiday Inn. The free buffet breakfast was appreceated though. 6/10

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bensagle
HolidayinnGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto / Mississauga, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Hotel.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve in the future is important to us.
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night during a business trip to Etobicoke. We received an upgrade to the executive floor and the room was clean and comfortable. The restaurant/bar was adequate for the night and the waiter was very social. I would be happy to return when returning to the area. Really nothing outstanding to comment in either direction which is okay for a business trip I feel. The manager clearly went out of his way to make us feel welcomed and satisfied. I have fairly high standards for cleanliness and service which makes this property average for me.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for the contribution and kind comments about our staff at the hotel, they really do make the difference when away from home.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Mississauga for business travel Dec 6 - 9 in a queen suite, with a separate living room / work area, two TVs (one flat-screen), and a comfortable bed. The room itself was in okay shape, but is showing it's age and could really use a refreshing (especially the bathroom, which looks like something out of the early 1980's). There is paint chipping off the bathroom walls and ceiling, and the tile in the shower is filthy. The bathroom fan was also very loud, with no way to turn it off separately from the light.

The room however was quiet, and the bedding was clean and comfortable. The fan/heat worked great, despite being kind of loud.

The wi-fi signal in the room is horrible; it barely registers at all, and there is no LAN connection available. The workdesk area is functional, and the desk chair is comfortable.

The package I had included complimentary breakfast in their restaurant on the 1st floor; it's a basic pre-made buffet -- nothing too exciting, but serves the need. Eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, cereal, and some really dense homemade muffins. Be sure to order an extra beverage to wash those puppies down afterwards. I never ate in the restaurant for dinner, but did see it listed in the lobby.

The staff is friendly and accomodating, and the housekeeping team did a good job of maintaining the rooms.

Overall this Holiday Inn wasn't a bad place -- but I have seen better. With a remodel I'm sure it would be better.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
HolidayinnGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto / Mississauga, responded to this review, 24 December 2011
Thank you for completing the review regarding your recent stay at our property.

We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mississauga
0.1 km away
12.1 km away
Four Points by Sheraton Mississauga Meadowvale
2.0 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Toronto-Oakville

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto / Mississauga? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK