“Great food”
Review of Mattson & Co

Mattson & Co
Ranked #8 of 1,494 Restaurants in Hamilton
Description: Mattson & Co. is an elegant restaurant and jazz lounge located on a busy corner in Hamilton's west end, overlooking the bustling and trendy Locke Street.
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Went there today for a brunch/lunch and I the food was absolutely fabulous. I had braised short ribs gnocchi - amazing dish I really recommend, my friend had a delicious braised beef sandwich.
Service was just right and we will be back.
Hamilton has many very good restaurants and Mattson & Co is at the top.

1  Thank xh20152015
MattsonFamily, Manager at Mattson & Co, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Thank you so much for sharing some of your weekend with us and for taking time to write a review. You cannot go wrong with our Braised Short Rib Gnocchi and Braised Beef Sandwich, they are both flavourful and filling dishes. We look forward to seeing you on a return visit and are honoured that you rate us at the top of Hamilton's food scene as we could not agree more that this city has many fine restaurants to choose from.

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

I will first say that the food and presentation were exceptional. The whole dinner was served super fast and this leads to the negative comments. You can either book a table for 6 pm or 8:15. I was informed of that when I booked. So I booked for 6. Unfortunately the server rushed us through our entire dinner and at 8 sharp we were told we had to leave as the people who booked for 8:15 had arrived. Even though several tables were already empty, it seemed like they needed our specific table or they just really wanted everybody out by 8. The whole dinner was a rush, the server interrupting our meal and conversation every 2 minutes. She made it a very stressful experience. We will not be going back and we do not recommend such a stressful and rushed dinner for over $200./2 p. We’re not sure if the people booking a table at 8:15 are also kicked out 2 hours later for closing time. But be prepared!

6  Thank Mic386
MattsonFamily, Manager at Mattson & Co, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Thank you for your kind words about our food, Mic386, we couldn’t agree more that our kitchen team does exceptional work and we will be sure to pass your praise along to our Chef and his staff. We are sorry to read you felt your time with us was rushed but we did explain to you when you booked that our 6pm Saturday seating comes with a two-hour time constraint. Your server’s intention was not to be intrusive but rather to do her job to ensure your party had enough time to enjoy appetizers, main course and dessert within the timeframe outlined to you upon booking. It is unfortunate that after two hours your party was not ready for your time with us to end but it was enough time for you to enjoy three full courses with us and unfortunately we had other reservations arriving for their tables.

The reason for this policy is not to rush our 6pm guests, but rather to respect the time of those who choose to wait for our later seating time and who have booked a prefered table for their reservations. Also to be very clear: we only have our two seating policy on Fridays and Saturdays and it is only the 6pm seating that requires us to have a two-hour time limit on our service.

Again, it is unfortunate you feel you did not have enough time with us but we hope you will consider booking with us in the future at our later seating time, on a weeknight or for our lunch or brunch services when we do not have any seating times or time limits at all.

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

From the second we entered this lovely restaurant on Locke Street South every attention to detail is obvious. The decor, staff, service, food make it an incredible experience to be repeated again. Wonderful list of VQA fabulous red curry mussels, halibut with buttery leaks, 3 way duck and beef tenderloin all a zen moment.
My husband and uncle visiting FYI
Vancouver is still talking about the food! Very well executed Team Mattson & Co. Ric C.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Nancy K

Thank you for choosing to bring your guests to Mattson & Co., Nancy. We are so happy to hear your enjoyed your experience with us and that you appreciated our selection of VQA wine (awe are very proud to support so many amazing local). We will pass along your compliments to Chef Mike and his team regarding your meals and we do hope to see you again very soon. Cheers!

Reviewed 3 May 2018

Let me preface this review with the fact that I really dislike Hamilton. I try to avoid it all costs.
Having said this, Mattson & Co has given me a reason to return to Hamilton. My wife chose this restaurant specifically after checking the menu on their website because of the vegan options on that menu. Being vegan, she sometimes has difficulty getting a well thought out, quality meal at a fine dining establishment. Most restaurants don't have anything on their menu specifically for the vegans of this world but will make a meal to accomodate. Typically, it's either a) a veggie stir fry, b)pasta prima vera, or c) grilled veg and a baked potato. All boring, unispired, and frankly disappointing.
Not so at Mattson and Co! She enjoyed a delicious chick pea meatloaf ($23) that looked and tasted fabulous and left her happy and satiated. Portion size was ample and frankly, I was surprised that she was able to finish it all but there was no way that she was going to leave any of it.
Moving on, I am not a vegan, nor am I a vegetarian. I am best described as a flexitarian, meaning that while I tend to eat vegan at home, I still enjoy meat, fish, and poultry when the urge strikes me.
Mattson and Co offers a varied selection of meat entrees and I felt like a kid in a candy store. Looking around the restaurant, I observed some very lovely dishes being enjoyed by my fellow diners.
What to order?
I decided to go with the Mussels and Fries or and the French refer to them, Moules et Frites. Why would I order this relatively simple dish when there were so many spectacular items on the menu? The logic of my thinking was simple. If a kitchen can cook mussels properly, they can cook anything well.
I was not disappointed. The mussels were cooked perfectly. Fully cooked but tender, not rubbery in a delightful creamy mushroom bacon broth (recommended by our server). They provided some extra bread for dipping in the sauce. Yummmmm! Portion size was more than ample and priced at a super reasonable $19. What a deal!
We washed it all down with a delicious bottle of Creekside Sauvignon Blanc ($45) which I would highly recommend. It complemented both meals perfectly.
Service was superb. Attentive but not intrusive. A perfect balance.
In short, our experience at Mattson and Co exceeded all our expectations and we will return soon with friends.
This restaurant makes me want to come back to Hamilton and accomplishing that is no easy feat.

4  Thank FNIGUY

FNIGUY your review has truly made our day! We do indeed respect and care very much about our vegan guests and this is why we offer a variety of vegan dishes on our menu. We believe they deserve beautifully crafted dishes and should not be an afterthought or accommodation. We are thrilled you appreciated the variety of dishes offered on our menu and are so glad our Moules et Frites met your high standards and expectations! We will definitely share this with Chef and the kitchen team. We look forward to having you return again soon and we hope with each visit to grow your affection for Hamilton (as we love this city and are proud to call it home). Cheers and see you soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

The staff are welcoming. The food is exceptionally prepared , flavourful and each bite is a delight.
Rahul, our waiter is extremely skilled and has an amazing intuitive sense which made the evening even more enjoyable. Rarely do you experience service on such a level, perfect without pretense, genuine and professional.
Go for the great food but enjoy the fact by the end of the evening you are happy to pay the bill.

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank 686lyndam

Thank you, thank you, thank you. We are so happy you enjoyed your Mattson experience from start to finish. We will pass along your compliments to Rahul (we think he's wonderful too) and we hope you will join us again very soon.