See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 November 2015

I spent a couple of weeks at the hostel during the 2015 Pan Am Games. I had my own room in the basement which was quiet and close to the kitchen, laundry room and washrooms.
The hostel location is ideal since it is close to bus stops, downtown and there is also a convenience store nearby. Bicycles are available which is a bonus in this bike friendly area - the bike lanes are just outside the hostel!
The hostel is a typical hostel and everyone is expected to clean up after themselves. Some days the place was clean while other days there were messy/dirty people staying who decided they could leave the place a mess.
Staff are not around all the time, but you can usually reach them by phone.
I'd stay here again considering the price and location.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
hamilton_guesthouse, Owner at Hamilton Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2015

Thanks so much for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Hamilton, and hope you come back again sometime.

Reviewed 3 November 2015

I spent 2 nights at the guesthouse and I liked it. Close to city center, free breakfast, nice room and living room, free bikes to go to the waterfalls, quite cheap. I'd recommend for globetrotters like me!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo

Thanks so much for your review, and we're really glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 25 April 2015

I stayed at HGH while apartment hunting in Hamilton. Everybody was friendly and I experienced zero problems. I stayed in the dorm to save money and there were no issues with anything. I could ask anybody if I needed help with anything and there was a large assortment of tea and coffee onsite which was really convenient. There's a little convenience store about 80 metres from the front door so I could buy anything else I needed. This is a perfect place to stay if you are visiting Hamilton with friends, want to have fun while checking out the best parts of the city.

Room Tip: Ask to watch a movie
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Lewis F
hamilton_guesthouse, Owner at Hamilton Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2015

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! It’s great to hear that your stay was so pleasant. Our staff always enjoys putting together a movie night.

Reviewed 21 February 2015

This hostel was dirty, unorganised and in a very bad location in town. When arriving the room I had booked had been booked out twice so ended up being put in a different room which had no air con or fan and was super noisy from the road. One night when coming back there was a random person on the floor on a mattress as they had over booked and had no where for her to sleep. My room was meant to be a twin room so this was a surprise when I fell over her late at night.

When arriving because of the room confusion the twin room was not prepared from the previous guests, there was no cleaning of the room the staff member just pulled off the old sheets and put a new set on the bed, nothing was swept and there was still rubbish from the previous guests left in the room. It was not cleaned in my whole time there and I was there a week.

The upstairs bathroom was disgustingly dirty. I felt dirtier after using the shower than before I went in.

The location opposite the homeless shelters made me feel very unsafe and men shouted abuse at me whilst walking to the hostel on more than one occasion.
I would not recommend staying here, for the price spend a little extra and stay in a hotel in a nicer area of town and your room will be clean.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joscelyn T
hamilton_guesthouse, Owner at Hamilton Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2015

I’m sorry your experience was so unpleasant. The only explanation that I can offer is that you arrived a day earlier than your booked arrival date, and therefore there was no room for you. The room you booked was our shared dormitory, which is perhaps not what you were expecting.

We always encourage our guests to inform staff if there is anything that does not meet their standards in terms of cleanliness. What you mention is certainly not how we intend to run our hostel, but we thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Reviewed 25 January 2015

We stayed here in August 2014.
Firstly we arrived and paid in cash, the right amount which I was told online. But when it came to showing us to our room, we found we had been put in a dorm of 4. We had specifically booked a twin room as we were travelling for the start of term at university. So Tom tried to stick us in an attic with a mattress on the floor, it looked like a scene from a horror movie. So in the end we decided to just stay in the dorm room. The beds were like rocks, dirty linen (we were informed they didn't have anything else "clean"), wire ends everywhere, broken blinds and no lock on the door.
On the second day we found out the hard way that there was only one working shower in the place which was shared between the entire building (about 12 guests I think). This was also disgusting, clogged with hair and god knows what else.

Would not recommend. This place is also in a really dangerous area of Hamilton. It was a traumatizing start to our time in Canada

Room Tip: Make sure they don't mess up your booking like they did with us! Or even better, avoid this place. It's not worth the money you pay to stay there.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Hannah P
hamilton_guesthouse, Owner at Hamilton Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2015

That certainly does sound like a shambles, and I can only apologize profusely.

The mix-up in your reservation was (mercifully for us, though I imagine it makes no difference to you) unique - it came through on our system as a dormitory booking rather than a private room. From there, it seems that things snowballed and your experience went from bad to worse. I cannot imagine why you were not offered compensation or a complete refund, as that is how we would usually respond to such a mistake.

As for the sub-standard facilities, I’m very sorry that that was your experience. There are in fact three functional bathrooms in the building, of which one was briefly out-of-order during your stay. Our maximum capacity is 10 people, including staff, and August is, of course, very busy.

For what it’s worth, I can only assure you that this experience is not standard, and we hope that you give us a second chance another time.