US$ 163
Budget Inn 2000(Hamilton)
US$ 78
US$ 69
US$ 65
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 February 2015

This hostel was dirty, unorganised and in a very bad location in town. When arriving the room I had booked had been booked out twice so ended up being put in a different room which had no air con or fan and was super noisy from the road. One night when coming back there was a random person on the floor on a mattress as they had over booked and had no where for her to sleep. My room was meant to be a twin room so this was a surprise when I fell over her late at night.

When arriving because of the room confusion the twin room was not prepared from the previous guests, there was no cleaning of the room the staff member just pulled off the old sheets and put a new set on the bed, nothing was swept and there was still rubbish from the previous guests left in the room. It was not cleaned in my whole time there and I was there a week.

The upstairs bathroom was disgustingly dirty. I felt dirtier after using the shower than before I went in.

The location opposite the homeless shelters made me feel very unsafe and men shouted abuse at me whilst walking to the hostel on more than one occasion.
I would not recommend staying here, for the price spend a little extra and stay in a hotel in a nicer area of town and your room will be clean.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joscelyn T
hamilton_guesthouse, Owner at Hamilton Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2015

I’m sorry your experience was so unpleasant. The only explanation that I can offer is that you arrived a day earlier than your booked arrival date, and therefore there was no room for you. The room you booked was our shared dormitory, which is perhaps not what you were expecting.

We always encourage our guests to inform staff if there is anything that does not meet their standards in terms of cleanliness. What you mention is certainly not how we intend to run our hostel, but we thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Reviewed 25 January 2015

We stayed here in August 2014.
Firstly we arrived and paid in cash, the right amount which I was told online. But when it came to showing us to our room, we found we had been put in a dorm of 4. We had specifically booked a twin room as we were travelling for the start of term at university. So Tom tried to stick us in an attic with a mattress on the floor, it looked like a scene from a horror movie. So in the end we decided to just stay in the dorm room. The beds were like rocks, dirty linen (we were informed they didn't have anything else "clean"), wire ends everywhere, broken blinds and no lock on the door.
On the second day we found out the hard way that there was only one working shower in the place which was shared between the entire building (about 12 guests I think). This was also disgusting, clogged with hair and god knows what else.

Would not recommend. This place is also in a really dangerous area of Hamilton. It was a traumatizing start to our time in Canada

Room Tip: Make sure they don't mess up your booking like they did with us! Or even better, avoid this place. It's not worth the money you pay to stay there.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Hannah P
hamilton_guesthouse, Owner at Hamilton Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2015

That certainly does sound like a shambles, and I can only apologize profusely.

The mix-up in your reservation was (mercifully for us, though I imagine it makes no difference to you) unique - it came through on our system as a dormitory booking rather than a private room. From there, it seems that things snowballed and your experience went from bad to worse. I cannot imagine why you were not offered compensation or a complete refund, as that is how we would usually respond to such a mistake.

As for the sub-standard facilities, I’m very sorry that that was your experience. There are in fact three functional bathrooms in the building, of which one was briefly out-of-order during your stay. Our maximum capacity is 10 people, including staff, and August is, of course, very busy.

For what it’s worth, I can only assure you that this experience is not standard, and we hope that you give us a second chance another time.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed in the downstairs single bedroom for couples called the potter room. It had a double bed which was nice, it was also secluded from the rest of the guests which I liked because the other guests seemed rather strange. Getting to the point, I arrived thursday. When I awoke friday morning I had a series of small bites on my lower back and neck. The next morning I awoke to 4 more bites on my back and my arms. The bed smelled like the sheets and comforter had not been washed in months. The minute I laid down for the first time I could smell body odor on the inside sheets. I would steer clear of this place, unless you enjoy being eaten alive by some kind of disgusting infestation. Shameful.

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you enjoy bugs crawling on you throughout the night.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Brandon D
hamilton_guesthouse, Owner at Hamilton Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi there.

I would like to assure you that we have neither fleas nor bedbugs, and that we take these allegations very seriously. Our rooms are meticulously inspected between guests, and we take many measures to ensure that there is no chance of pests. Furthermore, our bedding is always washed, so the source of the smell you experienced is not clear to us.

I cannot comment on the source of your reported bites, but I can assure you that they were not from HGH. I am not sure what you found “strange” about our other guests, but possibly the shared living arrangement of a backpackers’ hostel is not for you.

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment, and we hope that your stay in Hamilton was otherwise pleasant.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We contacted Hamilton Guest House via email and Tanya replied very friendly. She explained everything very well and was honest with us about how transport was kind of hard and other inconveniences of the matter. Also, when we told her that we didn't feel comfortable with giving out our credit card information, she understood and she was ok with payment when we arrived rather than beforehand payment. Things were different when we got there..
First of all, when we arrived Tom wasn't very friendly, just straight to the payment. After paying, he gave us a small tour of the house and we discovered the smallest bathroom we've ever seen. The toilet and sink were separated from the shower, in which one person could barely fit. Even though it was extremely small, it look cleaner than the shower in the main floor, the one connecting to the kitchen. From the reviews and the pictures I was expecting way more than what me and my boyfriend experienced. We stayed in the private room, which according to the description was suposed to be bright, but didn't get one speck of light. The bed was pretty big although it didn't give us confidence to sleep in it. It wasn't dirty but it didn't feel clean and fresh either. When we finished organizing our stuff in the bedroom and asked him where we could buy groceries, he told us about the store a couple streets from there. However it was closed as it was Sunday and he clearly didn't know the hours. So, without groceries, next option is eating out right? He didn't know much about where to go. Either he doesn't live in Hamilton, or it was one of his first times handling visitors. I'm sure none is the correct answer. The next day we found a garbage can full of mold under the kitchen sink. Gross.
We thought about going to a different hostel, maybe Mississauga, closer to Toronto but everything was full.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Laura N

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to review.

We’re sorry you found us less than you expected on arrival - we always try our best to be as helpful as possible. Perhaps there was some strange event going on, but the online information for our nearest grocery store is that it is indeed open on Sundays. Our staff does indeed live onsite and has a great knowledge of local restaurants - we also have a lot of available fliers, menus and so forth on site. I’m not sure why you weren’t directed adequately, and I apologize - I hope you were able to find somewhere pleasant at one of Hamilton’s many excellent downtown restaurants.

As for the size, brightness and freshness of the room - we apologize if your stay wasn’t as nice as you had expected. Our rooms are very basic, but they are certainly clean and should be very fresh at all times. Our downstairs rooms don’t get a lot of light in spring and summer, due to the garden outside - perhaps we should clear away the plants near them to make them more bright. Thank you for that observation.

I’m not sure what to say about the garbage being disgusting - except to apologize again. The downstairs shower is a little eccentric! The layout of the old house means that some of our facilities are very unique. However, we hope that you brought the issue of the upstairs bathroom’s cleanliness to the attention of staff immediately.

We hope the rest of your stay was more pleasant than your stay with us, and we thank you for your review.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Hamilton Guesthouse is one of those rare unexpected pleasant surprises you once every so often come across in life.From the very accommodating owners Tim and Tanya to the helpful
staff Tom and Wayne, they cannot do enough to help make your stay a most comfortable experience.You are within walking distance of downtown or you can use the bicycles supplied for free, with a grocery store just down the street. But it is the genuine and unique personal touches that makes this place such a gem to find!
William and Lynda Ryan
Devon, England

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda R
hamilton_guesthouse, Owner at Hamilton Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2014

Thank you for such a lovely review - we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!