“Hooly Crab this is Hooly Awesome!!”

Hooly Crab Boil Seafood and Bar
Ranked #315 of 1,411 Restaurants in Hamilton
Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

Took the family here to celebrate a family event. We were a party of 8 so we made sure to make reservations since there are only a few large tables available.

Everything is super fresh and seasoned expertly. There are no utensils and you are given gloves and a bib. The kids thought it was great to eat with your hands! It was super fun but as you can guess super messy!!

Just be sure to verify market prices before you order or you may find your bill higher than you thought.

Reviewed 14 December 2016

Food was ok. The plastic waste was out of this world! The only break we had from plastic was the styrofoam rice bowls. Everything comes in a plastic bag. EVERYTHING! Corn, yep! Shrimp: yep! Crab legs: Yep! Mussels: Yep. Plastic gloves to keep your guilty grubby little hands somewhat clean. Plastic bibs. Plastic water cups, with straws(of course). Plastic utensils. All plastic, all the time. But no plates. Get plates out of your mind completely.
Surprisingly, the beer selection was good! All craft beers. Mostly local. Why though? If you care about your beer being local, would you also maybe care about all the plastic you are wasting!?!

3  Thank Camper C
Reviewed 13 December 2016 via mobile

So we got to the restaurant, the wait staff was awesome, but our meal of snow crab and corn on the cob and udon noodles came out in a plastic bag. It was super delicious but it would have been nice to have the meal come out in a real bowl. Also would have been nice to have real plates and cutlery but instead we got Styrofoam plates and plastic cutlery. Super odd presentation but food was so good. I would recommend! But don't go on a first date or with anyone you care about impressing cuz it's messy as heck

1  Thank Krystina B
Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

It is a shame... The food is great but the service is horrible. From our friends getting their meal 15 minutes before us, to us missing the items we ordered. Appetizers coming at the end of the meal. The wait staff needs training and the chef's need to time the food properly so everything goes out on time. We won't ever go again. Terrible experience.

Reviewed 10 December 2016

Visited here last Wednesday night. We had made a reservation for 3 guests for 6:00 pm . We were greeted immediately and since it was not busy were given our choice of table . There appears to be two sides divided by a low wall . We chose a table close to the front .a small chalk sandwich board near the front indicated the daily special .
Although the interior is quite stark , little in the way of decor , plain tables covered in a heavy paper embossed with a crab symbol , benches for seating I was most impressed with the cleanliness.
Menus were promptly provided and drink orders taken . Found our server to be efficient and pleasant but it was apparent she must have been fairly new .
I asked at some point how long they have been open and was told 4 months . They have quite an assortment of seafood of which several items are sold by weight at market price .
I ordered the special which consisted of 4 mussels, 4 crayfish , 4 clams , and 4 shrimp ( heads on ) 2 pieces of quartered potatoes and a small corn . There is a choice of various sauces and heat levels . I was told the Hoolycrab sauce was the most popular and decided to give it a try . My niece ordered the same although she would have preferred the fish however she did not care for the choice offered . My great neice decided on a beef dish with noodles , she chose the cajun sauce . We were provided with plastic gloves and bibs , utensils are not immediately provided however they were made available to us . . Meals were brought to the table quite quickly served in a flat cast iron pan placed on a wood board . The food was sizzling hot and I found it be quite delicious . The beef dish was also excellent.
Don't know if it was just an oversight or if that is just the way the way things are done but no plates were provided to dispose of the shells . We asked and were provided with a small galvanized pail. I noticed some diners also with gloves and bibs eating from plastic bags and when I enquired I was told they had ordered an assortment of seafoods , lobster , crab etc .
Definitely a unique experience . Overall I think we were all quite pleased with the food and the service . Prices were quite reasonable .