“Nothing of consequence.”

Ranked #4 of 809 Restaurants in Halifax
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 12
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Fredies Fantastic Fishhouse is a small diner located in Bayers Lake Park. We specialize in Fresh Fish and hand cut Fries, Chowder, Fresh Whole Clams, Digby Scallops and Pure Lobster Rolls. We are passionate about providing our Customers with the best service and freshest seafood that Nova Scotia has to offer.
Reviewed 10 November 2017

Great fish & fries especially the fries, dressing & gravy ! Staff very friendly and accommodating. Great & fast service. Go visit & have a great meal !

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Fredie's is a small restaurant specializing in seafood....but is huge in customer service and food quality. It's very much a family atmosphere and the staff are beyond friendly. You can tell they really care about what they serve and that their customers walk out happy. The place has always been spotless when I've visited.

It does get busy, and you need to check their hours as they can change. This year they announced they would be shutting down from Dec. through to February, 2018 for medical reasons regarding the owner I believe.

I suggest going at non-peak times. Love their Seafood Platter!

1  Thank Jackie-N-Jake
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

The chowder, fish & chips, and fried claims were exceptional. Very friendly service. Really enjoyed our meal.

2  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 20 October 2017

Been to Fredies several times, great fish and chips BUT my last visit on Wednesday was disappointing. Now I consider myself a have sensitive taste buds on freshness, and I notice that when Haddock starts to lose it freshness it takes on sort of ink/copper taste which turns me off immediately. Anyone who has been around Haddock for as long as I have knows what I'm talking about. So I hope this is a on off, but management has to keep QC at all times. Every place deserves a second chance

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Located in a shopping area. Kinda like a fast food franchise, but it is not. You order at the counter and they call your name or deliver your food to your table.....being a nice evening we chose to sit outside, so they brought our food to us.

The young lady taking our order was very friendly, very knowledgeable of the menu and extremely helpful. Any business would love to have an employee like this gal.

We had the seafood chowder which was very good and well-stocked. However, the broth was a little thin and could have used some seasoning. For this reason, I would really give this restaurant a rating of 4 1/2 if TA would allow.

My wife had the deep fried haddock which was very good. Thin batter, good flavor and well prepared. This was our 15th day in the Atlantic Provinces and this haddock might well have been the best yet....and the chowder was second best. The cole slaw that came with it was also good.

These 2 meals cost $22.15.....given the quantity and quality of the food, they could charge a little more and still be giving a good value......and if they did increase the price a little they could pay the young lady at the cash register a little more.....she deserves a good wage as she is a great ambassador for this business.

Fredies is well worth the drive from anywhere in Halifax BUT would recommend avoiding the rush hour.....traffic in Halifax is extremely frustrating and the population is not over 1.5 million people like my hometown. Remember, you want to get there before 7:00 PM when they close.

1  Thank gold-vintner