“Radisson Suite Halifax” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Pubnico,Nova Scotia Canada
“Radisson Suite Halifax”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I am a travel agent and I live 3 hrs away from Halifax.Stayed March 10-11,2012. I have stayed here about 2 times before and I think this hotel needs some major upgrades. I had paid $109 for the room with 2 queen beds and a pull out couch(if I hadn't of got a good price I would NOT have stayed here). At the present time they are renovating the exterior of the hotel. Not sure as to what they are working on but I hope its more sound proof windows. You can hear all traffic and even people walking on the street at night are easily heard, and I was on the 4th floor. The rooms are spacious and there were 4 of us (2 adults,2 kids 13yrs old). They only have a small pool, hot tub and a small gym with 4 pcs. of equipment on the ground floor. This morning they only have tea and coffee complimentary. There is a restaurant downstairs on the ground floor called Ryan Duffy's where you can have breakfast(not complimentary). The lobby looks nice but the rooms are dated.Elevators are very slow. Also parking is valet and its around $18-20. I for one like to be at a hotel where I have quick access to my own vehicle when I want it. I personally don't like to wait for my car for 10-15 mins. This is however my opinion only. Good luck with your choice of hotels. I personally like the Harbourfront Marriott which you can walk to the casino and local shops without going outside. Although there maybe a price difference in the Radission and Marriott sometime its worth more money for added benefits. The Radission has a 4* rating my opinion should only be a 3* at best for Canadian standards.

Room Tip: I would ask for a water view not sure if the noise is better from the streets though.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I arrived at 0200 there was nothing opened I was starving after 12 hours of flying. The front desk offered a couple of options but a whole pizza at that time was too much so unpacked and went to grab some apples(complimentary), as I was saying thanks and good night the desk person and Valet asked if I would like a slice of pizza they had just ordered...I couldn't believe their generosity or the offer. I said abolutely, they brought the hot pizza out from their lounge and presented me with the whole pizza saying"take a slice or two" perplexed and grateful I grabbed a slice and left $5 on the counter when they weren't looking.
This is comfortable hotel two blocks from Pier21.

Room Tip: I was in a handicap accessible unit it was massive
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
burgess hill
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

A perfect position for the Waterfront and the main downtown restaurant area. The trappings are luxurious – bathrobes, individually adjustable beds to find the perfect firmness setting, lots of pillows, nice toiletries and huge TVs but the fabric of the room was tired. We had big damp patches and cracks on the artex ceiling, rippling plaster with missing patches under the window and loose wobbly floor boards under the window obviously damaged in the same water related problem. The bathroom was quite cheap looking with mould around the sealant and the bedroom curtains aren’t quite big enough for the window– more like a £40 a night 2* hotel than a £100+ a night establishment. Parking around the hotel was plentiful in early September and cost $16 a night, we didn’t find any need for the offered valet parking service. No breakfast included in the room rate, sometimes you could get a coffee in the lobby but it was sometimes empty. Would I stay again? No, it felt like the poorest value for money of our 3 week trip and was a bit disappointing once you get past the initial excitement of the trappings.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank oakroyd
JLCooper, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate any opportunity to improve our product and service. I am very sorry to hear about the issues with your suite - through the fall and winter we have been doing ongoing maintenance to ensure any immediate issues are taken care of and on a more exciting level we are getting prepared to start renovations on our property in the next couple of weeks. While working through the suites we are always attentive to any health and safety concerns and have not found any trace of mold - I would be interested in knowing what room you were in if you are able to contact us directly.

During renovations our first concentration will be on the outside of the building and this will address any leakage issues that we are experiencing. Once the outside of the building is done we will be moving to the suites and revamping everything from furniture to carpeting to art work. Through all of this you will find that the amenities that you mentioned such as pillows, toiletries, televisions etc will continue to meet the ongoing standards that travelers such as yourself have come to expect from Radisson.

I understand your hesitation in regards to returning to the property but hopefully you will reconsider once our renovations are complete - I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Joanne Cooper
Newton(Boston), MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We have now stayed here 4 out of the 5 summers for our anniversary. We waited too long to reserve in 2010 so had to stay elsewhere and were sorely disappointed. For the price of a hotel room, you get a pretty spacious suite that is comfortably decorated. Both rooms have wall to wall windows. Ask for a room in the back right hand corner, floor 5 and above, and you will have a fantastic view up and down the harbor. Location is perfect - you are in the middle boardwalk and walking distance to Spring Garden. Our only problem was the pick-a-number bed which didn't work this time so bed not as comfortable as usual.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sun&sea lover
JLCooper, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review; we are so lucky to be in the central location that we are - it means a lot to be able to walk out the front door to most of the downtown destinations. I am very sorry to hear we couldn't accommodate you on your last visit. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back this year. And if on your next visit you have any issues with the beds please be sure to let us know and we will take care of it for you.
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

Have stayed here before when there price is good $129-$149, which seems to be fairly often. As others have said the decor feels very tired e.g. the buttons on the TV remote are barely legible, carpet is frayed in spots, bathroom is very dark, etc. I also agree that the restaurant is pricey, especially for room service. What keeps me coming back is the combination of the price and SIZE of the rooms relative to e.g. the Sheraton Four Points (which feels much newer), especially if you are meeting a client or having guests in the room. Their rewards program can also be good with online bonuses and upgrades, etc.

Room Tip: the corners are good, the higher you go the less street noise which can be quite loud and late on we...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JLCooper, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Trip Advisor community and your continued loyalty. We are anticipating some activity early in the new year with regards to our renovations. Once we are complete you will be able to enjoy the same size suite with new modern decor. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!